Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power cycle with no BIOS bootup

Hello,

I recently purchased all new parts to build a desktop and have run into a problem. Upon switching the power on, the fans and processor all run normally for about 7-8 seconds. After the 7-8 seconds the motherboard's mini speaker beeps continuously for about 5-6 seconds and then the computer shuts down. The monitor never registers any output and BIOS never starts up. This cycle repeats itself until power is shut off manually. I have tried different combinations of parts attached to the mobo with no luck including the CPU and heatsink/fan hooked up with no RAM, one RAM stick, both RAM sticks, HDD attached/not attached, no fans except CPU fan attached. I even tried only the 24 power supply jack in without the 4 prong for the CPU, but this only led to an even quicker shut down without any beeps from the sound unit. Also reset CPU to make sure heatsink was making a connection with the processor and it was. Resetting CMOS did nothing either.

Any suggestions? Is the mobo bad? I've read in the manual that the continuous beeping means a "power error," but not sure if the PSU is bad because it does power up the system for a time and fans work when attached directly to the PSU.

Here are my specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
    CPU - Intel i5 C650
    RAM - Corsair 2x2 4GB 1333
    PSU - 650W

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Power cycle with no BIOS bootup

Do you have other memory you can test with? This is normally tRD setting too low, so you might not be able to get into the BIOS without different memory to change this.

No bent pins when you checked the CPU socket right?

What you can and should try next is clearing the CMOS for 20 minutes or longer, see post 2 here for how I suggest you do that

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't have any other memory except that listed above (and it was expensive at that). Think I'll have to go buy cheaper memory to test? If so, what memory would be good to buy?

I did not see any pins bent in the CPU when I checked, so I don't think that's a problem.

As for the CMOS reset, I'm mid clear right now. When I start it back up should I use the same 4GB RAM in both slots?

Comment

Could you maybe borrow a stick? If you can't and it comes to it, ya just buy some el cheapo 1GB 1066 or 1333Mhz stick locally if you can, then maybe you can easily return it.

I meant CPU Socket, did you mean that as well? Not CPU, but in the socket?

What PSU is this?

i5 650 right? Just checking since you have a C there?

Next step would be to get the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray if you have not already and a clear CMOS does not help. Do this and put the board on a box or wooden table and see if you can start it there, use Intel stock cooler if you can, this will rule out all shorts as the cause.

Comment

Here's the PSU: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty at TigerDirect.com

It's an Ultra LSP650.

CPU is an i5 650 - sorry not sure why I put the "C" in there. Also I did mean the CPU socket - all pins are pointed same direction and do not appear bent.

I did the 20 minute CMOS reset and tried to run the mobo/CPU on a wooden desk out of the case and off the tray with only monitor, CPU w/ intel fan cooler, power jacks, front panel connectors and the 4GB RAM in. Same result: 7-8 second run followed by continuous beeps and shut down. I'll get a hold of some of the RAM you suggested and see what that does after a CMOS reset

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Comment

That PSU should be ok.

Ya please see if you can borrow or get another single stick of ram for testing

Comment

So I managed to get a hold of a 1GB RAM stick today and tried loading it as you suggested (CMOS reset done prior too). No go. Same problem with the continuous beeps and shut off. I'm wondering if at this point an RMA is in order...

Comment

sound like a bad video card to me
                Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Hmm, sorry to hear different ram did not help!

Yes, can you test this GFX card in another machine? If it's not that then it could be the PSU I suppose, but I would hold off on RMA'n the board until you do more testing

Have you had the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray yet, and tried with the stock Intel heatsink and only your GFX Card and one stick of ram?

Comment

Working...
                  X