Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying stable with E8500 at 4.0 GHz help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying stable with E8500 at 4.0 GHz help?

Hey guys, I`ve got a problem with my CPU and I heard that this is a good place if I want help.I`ve recently overclocked my E8500 from 3.16 to 4.00 and since then I`ve been having problems with stability and temperatures.My temperature when running Prime95 is always above 86 and I don`t know how to lower it.My cooler is Freezer Pro 7.People that have my processor,cooler and that have overclocked processor like I do say that that`s not normal.I just wanted to ask is there any way to lower the temperatures?My voltage is 1.325,maybe a little more.My mobo is 965P-S3.I have the latest version of BIOS.

Re: Staying stable with E8500 at 4.0 GHz help?

I saw Ltowax on another forum looking for help. So I advised he come here. Since you guys know your stuff ;)

He was gettnig all sorts of random info from others that didn't know their a$$ from their Elbow.

I guess Ill kick this off.

What type of thermal paste did you use when you attached the cooler? You "might" need to remove / reseat the Heat Sink and Fan.

I have the same cooler as you. Im at 4.0Ghz with an E8400 at 1.328v and my highest temp running prime is only 59C.
    ASUS P8P67 rev3.1 | i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | Vcore: 1.300
    MSI 460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (900/4000) | 23C Idle / 65C max load / +100mV
    Kingston HyperX | DDR3 1600Mhz | Corsair H60 | 36C Idle / 65C max load
    500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm| OCZ 600watt SXS PSU
    LG E2050T LED monitor
    3DMark11 P4560

Comment

Originally posted by Triton05 View Post
      I saw Ltowax on another forum looking for help. So I advised he come here. Since you guys know your stuff ;)

He was gettnig all sorts of random info from others that didn't know their a$$ from their Elbow.

I guess Ill kick this off.

What type of thermal paste did you use when you attached the cooler? You "might" need to remove / reseat the Heat Sink and Fan.

I have the same cooler as you. Im at 4.0Ghz with an E8400 at 1.328v and my highest temp running prime is only 59C.
      59?Omg I feel weak lol.Well,I need to find it first.Its somewhere in the attic with all of the spare and old parts.

Comment

Pop off your Heatsink. Clean off the old thermal paste. Re-apply and pop the Heatsink back onto your CPU.

Then lemme know if temps are better. It could be as simple as that.
        LG E2050T LED monitor
        3DMark11 P4560

Comment

Originally posted by Triton05 View Post
          Pop off your Heatsink. Clean off the old thermal paste. Re-apply and pop the Heatsink back onto your CPU.

Then lemme know if temps are better. It could be as simple as that.
          I put thermal paste on my processor when I got it,that is exactly 9-10 months ago.Is that a long time?xD

Comment

You may have used to much is all, less is better. You could have also not mounted the heatsink fully/properly or tight enough, it's a push-pin one right?

Those temps are definitely too hot for your voltage used, what are you reading the temps with anyway and it is the latest version?

What BIOS are you using as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              You may have used to much is all, less is better. You could have also not mounted the heatsink fully/properly or tight enough, it's a push-pin one right?

Those temps are definitely too hot for your voltage used, what are you reading the temps with anyway and it is the latest version?

What BIOS are you using as well?
              My BIOS version is F13I.I red my temps with all kinds of programs.lol Currently I`m reading with RealTemp version 346.

Comment

IF he has the rev 1 cooler, then yes it would be push pin. The rev 2 comes with a plastic braquet that allows you to screw the cooler to the board.

I really feel its just not mounted correctly, or like you stated. Too much paste was used. We have the "same" cpu and cooler. ( for the most part ) and my Full Load temps are 20C colder then his at the same voltage.

EDIT: he has an E8500 I have an E8400 but there close enough ;)
                Last edited by Triton05; 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM.
                LG E2050T LED monitor
                3DMark11 P4560

Comment

The Arctic Freezer 7 pro comes with pre-applied thermal paste, so if he added paste to the cpu without scaping off the pre-applied, then there would be too much, as Lsd said.

Comment

So, any updates on this Ltowax?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      So, any updates on this Ltowax?
                      Yes,thank you guys for support!My max temp is now 61-62 on Prime95!All I needed was to screw the cooler a little tighter!I`m in your debt,to all of you!

Comment

Nice to see you found the issue and easily fixed it!

Now those are decent temps for Prime95

Comment

Working...
                        X