Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling back BIOS

Hello everyone,

I have recently updated my ga-ex58-ud3r rev 1.6 BIOS from the original FB to FD hoping to fix video hardware error issue but it hasn't solved anything. I have tried plenty of other ways before flashing bios like reinstalling video drivers using driver sweeper, reinstalling windows, performing memtest, Plugging PCIe card into another PCIe socket...
    There is another problem, after updating BIOS, CPU temperature has increased rather. Once i turn on pc and enter BIOS to check temperatures, CPU temperature goes up to 57c In this case i would like to restore the original bios version in order to recover normal pc condition. Is it possible to reflash BIOS to an older FB version the same way i updated BIOS via qflash ?

Re: Rolling back BIOS

yes you can flash back and forth to any bios version,what gpu do you have?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i'm using MSI GTX275 TWIN FROZR OC. Have you tried downgrading Bios on your own ? I just want to make sure it's safe.

One more question. In "Advanced BIOS Features" section there is an option called "Backup BIOS Image to HDD" which has automatically switched to "disabled" after flashing a BIOS. Is my old BIOS saved to HDD or should i enable so that will be what to recover if bios gets corrupted?
      Last edited by gex; 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

yes i flash back and forth often,esp if i dont like a certain bios its just as safe as flashing to newer bios,i wouldnt enable save bios to hard drive as i think the hdd needs to be in fat32 for it to see it,use @bios to save the current bios/oc settings to a file on your pc,then keep the bios file on a usb stick just incase and ALWAYS use q-flash to flash with
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

It is entirely possible that your temp of 57C is normal, and the previous BIOSes were wrong/buggy.

If I were you I would check my actual temps with Everest Ultimate before deciding what BIOS temp to believe. If on the new BIOS your core temps are also high then it is very likely that the old BIOS was wrongly reporting things, which is very common.

So you may need to reseat your cooler or use less paste, but yes you can flash back anytime just please use Qflash or DOS.

If you are using RAID DO NOT Enable Backup BIOS to HDD. If you are not then you can if you want, and it will store a copy of the BIOS in the HPA Section of your hard drive that you cannot access.

Comment

Please take a look at this: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3315/13908895.png
            It looks like temperatures in bios and everest ultimate are different. Everest shows lower cpu temperature.

Let's get back to flashing. Will a BIOS be able recover if i leave "Backup BIOS image to HDD" disabled and then flash a BIOS unssuccessfully(in case of fail)? In other words, does my motherboard currently have a backup copy of main bios in case of fail so that it will be able to recover ?
            Last edited by gex; 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

it should recover from the back up bios chip,hence dual bios,but its best to save a copy using @bios and keep it on a usb stick,or select save bios to hdd whichever you prefer,you version of everest is old update it to the latest beta version and see what temps it gives you,core temps depend on your outside ambient temps also

Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Ya, you have triple BIOS actually if you enable Backup BIOS to HDD, but you really don't need that and I advise against using it as I can mess up your OS

Comment

I saved a backup of BIOS via qflash without adding an extension ".FB" in the name. Should a BIOS file be named DEFAULT.FB before using it to roll back a BIOS?

Corrected post so that it will be more clear...
                  Last edited by gex; 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM.

Comment

It will be fine, you can add .FB later if you want or name it anything you like, the BIOS will recognize it anyway.

They are all actually .bin files, the BIOS flashing utilities will recognize it no matter the extension you put on it though.

Comment

Working...
                    X