Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EQ45M-S2, Can't overclock ?

Hello,

I have 2 questions I would like to ask today :).
    First, I bought this motherboard GA-EQ45M-S2(rev.2.0) a few months ago. I've an Intel C2Q 9550 running @stock 2.8Ghz. Earlier today I thought I'd try and overclock it. I read a guide I found on the internet but can't seem to find in my BIOS an option to increase the FSB to OC my processor. I have an option to modify the multiplier(0-8.5) and it is set to 8.5 by default which keeps me to my stock 8.5x333=2.8Ghz clock speed. Am I not looking at the right BIOS page or does my motherboard not support overclocking for the processor ?
    Second, I plan to upgrade from my current onboard graphics to a PCI-E based 5870 Graphic card. Will there be any issues at all with the motherboard ? I was told by someone to get a better motherboard. This made no sense to me as I see no way how a motherboard could impact the performance of a graphic card but thought I'd ask anyways :)
    Thanks in Advance :).
    Last edited by makaveli-313; 06-20-2010, 03:16 AM.

Re: GA-EQ45M-S2, Can't overclock ?

It doesn't have that option called "Host Control" oc is impossible.

But you could try Bsel mod to 1600Fsb, chances are it won't work though.

Comment

It does seems that this motherboard has no OC options what so ever. Try to press Ctrl+F1 at main BIOS screen and see if it add any options in M.I.T.

Comment

Here is the Bsel by coolaler

EQ45 already has PCIE16x v2.0 slot running at full speed 16x you don't need another motherboard, it won't improove performance. If you start replacing boards now for no good reason there is no end to it.
        Last edited by yuu; 06-20-2010, 03:43 AM.

Comment

I checked the BIOS, no overclock options at all on this model.

So yes I would go ahead and update since you are getting a new graphics card too, plus this board is holding your Q9550 back anyway.

This board only has PCIE x16 1.0 too, so you wouldn't even be able to run the 5870 at full potential anyway.

I'd suggest a normal P45 board if your case is large enough

Comment

Well I don't think it is just ver 1.0, all x45 series are ver2.0 PCie, so it is not holding back any contemporary Video card at all., but some of them are limited to 4x(pcie rev.1.0) only,

You should check the revision of the board. if you have ver1.0 go buy new one.

GA-EQ45M-S2 (rev. 2.1)
            1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16

GA-EQ45M-S2 (rev. 2.0)
            1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16

GA-EQ45M-S2 (rev. 1.0)
            1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4

rev.1.0 is too old that it could possibly be found nowdays

Comment

Ya, sorry I just noticed that. I was looking at the specification page before and it only said PCIE x16, now I see on the overview it is 2.0

Comment

Yes It is revision 2.0 & yuu thats all gibberish to me :S. I tried Cntrl+F1 & nothing, I guess I can't OC the processor...oh well..
                I guess that I'll go ahead with the 5870 since it's full speed.
                Oh one last question I see I can mess around with RAM timings, Could someone guide me to one ? I have 2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2-800

Comment

Bsel mod is something that you do by covering with some sort of very thin conductive tape the two of the pads on the bottom side of the cpu to make it work at 400*8,5 instead of 333*8.5. Oh well if you don't want 3.40GHz cpu for free it's fine by me. Having a quad that has worse performance than a 4.0Ghz dual core in games, it's really no big deal. That is not holding by much whatever monster card put on it at all. just by 50%.

Comment

Right my intention was to overclock the CPU, hence this thread, I'm far too inexperienced to do this.
                    Anyways If anyone could help me figure out those RAM timings for my memory I'd appreciate it :). It appears I can change them in the BIOS.

Comment

Please post a screen capture of MemSet main(click >>) and SPD(click spd) windows, and benchmark we can help you optimize your memory if needed.
                      This may result in a slight better performance, nothing major.
                      You can download MemSet from http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

Comment

Here is a screenshot :)

Comment

Please give us the memory model # or show us the SPD tab of CPU-z so we can tell you now to setup your memory

Comment

It's Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 2GBx2.
                            Here's a SS of the SPD tab you asked for:

Comment

Thanks, set these for your memory

System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B
                              Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
                              DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                              CAS Latency Time........................ 6
                              tRCD ......................................... 6
                              tRP'........................................... 6
                              tRAS.......................................... 18

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
                              tRRD........................................... 3-5
                              tWTR.......................................... 3-6
                              tWR............................................ 4-6
                              tRFC........................................... 52-68
                              tRTP........................................... 3-5
                              Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Comment

Working...
                              X