No announcement yet.

GA-H55-USB3 Prime95 errors due to mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H55-USB3 Prime95 errors due to mobo?

I just built a new HTPC using the GA-H55-USB3 with an i5 661 cpu. After installation of Windows, I started getting stability issues. After running memtest+, the trouble was found to be a faulty stick of ram. I RMAed it a just received a new set. Again one is faulty, but the other stick passes the memtest fine. However, when in windows, prime95 fails almost instantly. Is it possible it is the mobo? cpu? or settings in the BIOS?
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 (1.0) (BIOS F5)
    CPU: Intel i5 661
    RAM: OCZ Platinum 2 x 2GB (OCZ3P1333LV4GK)
    PSU: Corsair 750TX

Re: GA-H55-USB3 Prime95 errors due to mobo?

Are you using the white slots only? If not you need to

You also need to set your own ram voltage to spec manually, and you may need to increase the QPI/Vtt depending on the ram timings and speeds

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

I am using Slot DDR3_1 (white) for all tests

I have tried the defaults settings 7-7-7-16, Volts 1.50, multiplier (Auto)

and recommended settings 7-7-7-20, volts 1.64 (recommends 1.65, but not an option in the BIOS) and 10X multiplier.

the one stick passes memtest86 under all settings, but I still get errors in prime95

I have increased the vtt up to 1.34, is it save to go beyond that?

Comment

One stick passes, but the other does not correct? Is this testing one stick at a time in the same slot?

If so then you may have a faulty memory stick and would need to RMA the set.

No, do not use more than 1.2-1.25 QPI/Vtt on this board, Intel Max is 1.21

Errors in prime95 could be Vcore, but if you have one faulty stick it does not matter about Prime95 because it is going to fail anyway due to this faulty module.

You need to setup a RMA if one stick fails in the same slot with the same settings and the other one does not, that clearly means the stick is not functioning properly.

Are you sure they did not send you the same memory back you sent in, sounds odd to get a faulty stick out of two sets right in a row.

Are you using the latest BIOS, shouldn't matter much though if the above is true as that sounds to me like one faulty stick again.

Comment

The prime 95 fails occur even when using the one good stick. I should add that this is the Blend test.

Yeah, 2 faulty sticks in a row does seem strange. But they are different serial numbers then the previous ones.

Note, I just ran Small FFT for 30 mins, and no errors on any of the cores.

Comment

Well like I said prime95 errors aside, it sounds like you have a faulty stick again.

It's good to hear serials are different though!

More Vcore is all may need to pass prime, but you could also need to adjust QPI/Vtt, you can use 1.66 Dram voltage as it will be closer to 1.65V (1.64 will be less than that even like 1.62-1.63)

So can you please test with memtest86+ latest version, each stick again one at a time in the same slot with ram voltage set to 1.66. Let each test run 5-10 full passes
            Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What memory is this anyway?

Comment

This is with BIOS version F5, which I believe is the most recent.

I set the Vtt to 1.21 and Dram to 1.66 and will start the tests right away.

Thanks again, for your quick replies.

Comment

K, good luck!

Maybe it was just the ram voltage set at 1.64 was too low, but it does sound like a bad stick to me from your comemnts, we will know after you test more though.

What memory is this, can you please give the model # or a link

Comment

Sorry, missed that last part of your comment,

OCZ3P1333LV4GK

Newegg.ca - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK

Comment

One stick had over 30 errors after one pass, the other I ran all last night and after 21 passes it still had no errors. So definitely one bad stick.

However, the blend test still shows errors when using just the good stick.

Comment

try and rma both sticks if you can and start afresh,or maybe switch to another brand??
                      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I will attempt to set up a RMA for the RAM kit today.

I was thinking of switching brands, but the first RMA took so long that now I am past the 30 day return date.

Although to their credit, the one good stick seems awesome; it runs 1333 stable even at 1.5V.

The thing is, if another piece of hardware is faulty, I would like to troubleshoot it before having to send the RAM back and wait another month before resuming testing.

Comment

looks to me that the first two sticks were bad,and now your left with one good and one bad stick,try to return just the one bad stick,you will be able to run your pc in single channel with one stick while you wait on a replacement
                          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wish I could, but the memory is paired.
                            First time was only one bad stick as well, but they still required I send back both.

Comment

This is normally how you have to do it, send both back.

Are you dealing with a store/shop still or now with the manufacturer? If you are still dealing with a shop maybe you can get them to refund you instead, or switch brands/models for you since this one appears to not be such a hot product.

Comment

Working...
                              X