P55M-UD2, i5-750 & F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ unstable at stock clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P55M-UD2, i5-750 & F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ unstable at stock clocks

both machines are still stable, both subjected to the same conditions that resulted in freezing with the p55+gts250 without a freeze (idling with nothing open, idling with CPU monitoring apps open, CPU stress testing followed by idling, web browsing, navigating through the HD, etc...)

I'm going to keep testing both, hopefully one of them freezes so I'll know wtf is going on...

If not, tomorrow I'll reassemble the p45+9600GSO machine and try swapping the gts250 into my stable p55-UD3R+i5+9800GTX+ build and see what happens to both it and the p55m-ud2

Comment

Well good luck trying to narrow it down!

Comment

After tons of testing I was all ready to RMA the graphics card (all boxed up & everything), but missed the cutoff yesterday for shipping, and I'm glad I did, heh

So... I had decided to just use the 9800GTX+ and I went about prepping the machine for use, but the machine is still freezing with the 9800GTX+ installed, just not as frequently.

Much, much less often mind you, but what appears to be the same symptoms (frozen screen, no keyboard/numlock response requiring hard reset) has occurred 3x in the past 36hrs, in addition to one crash @ black screen when left overnight idle (computer sleep disabled, display set to sleep) that could be related, and another @ black screen while on OS 10.6.0 & left idle (may be OSx86 related tho)

Now... this freezing happened 20x more often with the GTS 250 installed, yet the GTS 250 never did have any issues running in either of my other builds, so my suspicions are back on the mobo. I can't ship anything back till monday anyways, so will get the GTS 250 back in my other i5 build to test until then

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hmm, try increasing your PCH and ICH voltages a bit and see if that helps any, put in your 250 so if the issue is going to occur it will show up quicker.

Comment

So... another two freezes with the 9800GTX+ since I posted that last night

I've now disabled both sleep & display sleep entirely (and turned brightness/contrast/gamma to 0 to avoid burn-in) so I can see what's happening when it crashes. (one crash while downloading in firefox when otherwise idle, the second overnight with no real activity)

I'll throw the GTS250 back in shortly and see what if anything happens when I play with the PCH & ICH voltages. (both @ 'auto' currently, is there a safe range I should stay within?)

Comment

Keep PCH under 1.2, shouldn't even need that.

I need to know what ICH voltages you have access to before I could comment on that one

Comment

Under the MCH/ICH section of my BIOS (P55m-UD2 @ f10 bios) the only two options are 'PCH core' and 'CPU PLL'

PCH core says 1.050v, next step up is 1.100v and then 0.02v increments from there up
                CPU PLL is 1.8v, with the next step up being 1.86v and then 0.02v increments from there up

Comment

Try 1.1-1.15 PCH

CPU Pll shouldn't affect this, but you can try 1.86

So no ICH core or ICH I/O then? That sucks, this is what I really wanted you to test

Comment

Nope, not unless its one of the 'hidden' ctrl-f1 options (didn't think to check those)

Comment

Try it out, but now that I look at your model again I doubt it, normally the boards lesser than UD3/DS3 have limited options so I expect your BIOS wont have this option.

It could be the memory causing this though, can you test with a single stick and see if that makes any difference, and test with different memory if you can to see if that matters or not.

Comment

Nope, no secret voltage options on this board, just the usual near-useless legacy options they always hide

There was no change to the freezing issue when I swapped in the 2x2GB kit from my older P55-UD3R build last week (G.skill Ripjaws, F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM rated @ 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 @ 1.6v)
                        I used the same RAM settings as the other sticks (1.5v, 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24)

I have yet to try the board with only 1 stick, will try that next, after I try 1.12v PCH & 1.86v CPU PLL

Comment

The issue still remains when set at 1.12v PCH & 1.86v CPU PLL, with the GTS 250 installed and freezing within 1-5min of boot +60% of the time (or staying up 5-10min and then freezing after i click restart, during the shutdown processes)

My... hunches as to why it freezes sooner with the GTS 250 are that its something to do with the GTS 250's "green" or energy saving features/PCB changes that is causing the system to freeze more often than with the 1st gen 9800GTX+/9600GSO 512 (G92) which both lack such fancy variable voltage/clocks/etc... and/or possibly to do with the power being pulled via PCI-E slot, since the 9800GTX+ has the pair of 6pin PCI-E power connectors direct from the PSU to draw from instead of just one. But... just hunches, and since the system does freeze regardless of card, ones that don't lead me to any obvious test/solution :/

Next up I try with a single stick of RAM....

Jeez, I swear I've put at least a years worth of resets on this machine in the past 3weeks :/

Comment

It may just be those cards do not work well with the current BIOSes, can you test an ATI card?

Comment

ya, I'll try an ATI 4850 shortly and see what happens, but the build kinda needs to run a nvidia card when I'm done with it

At this point I'm thinking I should RMA the motherboard, since I've already swapped out everything except the CPU without eliminating the freezing

Comment

Cool, ya I just wanted to test and see if that mattered is all.

Comment

Working...
                                X