Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD3R won't recognise SATA drives - non RAID

Hi People,
    I've built a new system (i7 930, 6GB, etc) that's based on the X58A-UD3R.

When I started it for the first time it recognised my drives (60GB OCZ Vertex SSD and a 2TB WD) - I tried to install windows 7 but it went very slow and hang up 29% while 'decompressing files'.

I rebooted it and ever since it won't recognise my drives! I tried reconnecting them, playing with all the relevant SATA settings but Nada, it won't work...

I've actualy tested these two drives in ny othe rsystem and it looks like the OCZ SSD is dead so I'll RMA it but the 2TB WD is fine. I'm starting to think I may need to RMA my board as well, normally one just plugs the Sata cables to whatever drive and that's it...

Please advise, How shoudl I fix this? Do I have a problem with the Mobo?

Many thanks,

Re: X58A-UD3R won't recognise SATA drives - non RAID

look in bios and makesure you set drives to ide,or ahci whichever mode you want to use,as for installing win7 disable floppy drives in the bios and boot order,plug your ssd in port 0,2tb hdd in port 1 and any sata dvd drive into port 5
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Mate,
      I did try all the possible sata settings including IDE, ACHI, and even raid to see if that did it... I decided to RMA this board and it will be replaced soon. I have 4 sata drives and it shoudl just work without any special amendments...

Thanks!

Comment

Did you already send the board off?

You may have just needed to format the SSD since you started a install then stopped part way through.

Then of course you do need the correct settings and things plugged into the right ports.

If you still have the board let me know and I will tell you what settings to use and where to plug things in, then help you to format the drive and start over.

Comment

HI,
          Thanks, I'm happy to try again, I still have the board for two days (Holiday in the UK).
          I did however try both drives with an external caddy, the WD works fine and the SSD seems dead.

I also find it awkward that only the right Sata port works on this board, I have the Gygabyte EP45-UD3R for my other system and I just pluged 5 drives without thinking abotu it for another momrnt, always worked flawlessly. I was hoping I could plug at least 4 Hdd in the new system as well.

Happy to try though - also how do I resurrect my SSD? the external caddy didn't register any sign of life from it?

Thanks!

Comment

Hmm, does the SSD show up in the BIOS and is properly named?

OS Drive should always be connected to the first SATA Port (SATA2_0), and CD/DVD on the latter two (SATA2_4/5)

As for your SSD, does it show up in disk management in windows? If so delete all partitions on it, then use Sanitary Erase or Wiper on it, then see if you can align it again.

If it does not show up in disk management, but does in the BIOS can you show me an image of how it appears in the BIOS.

Also, try flashing it again to the latest firmware and see if the firmware flash utility recognizes it, if it does you are probably ok still.

Which SSD is this anyway, indilinux or sandforce?

Comment

Hello mate,
              the SSD doesn't show in the bios, or in Windows on the other system - it's an OCZ Vertex 60GB drive - I think it's dead but will try the flashing utility - unless it would void the warranty?

I'll tried p;uging both drives to the first sata ports and they won't show up in the bios - while on the subject my Sata DVDrom also shows up occasionally (sometime it does and sometime not) and even when it shows it won't read the windows install CD...

How many SATA HDDs can I connect when not in RAid mode, normally? I wonder if IO should get a different board this time.

thanks,

Comment

Working...
              X