GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Eeek, I've fought with their technical support and according to them that board doesn't support IOMMU, but they will give me a BIOS that has IOMMU for the that board? Seems all backwards... I'd rather get it from you, who won't take a week to respond like the Gigabyte technical support and/or fight with me about what is/isn't supported.

If onitake doesn't upload it to a mass file server, I have no problem hosting it on my server until it becomes official on Gigabyte's BIOS page. How about it, onitake?

Comment

if you both have the same mb and need the beta bios then please upload stating what motherboard its for and folks can download if needed its much quicker than going through gigabyte,as for amd bios's you need to pm the users who manage bios's for those platforms,stasio uploads for intel and i think dinos22 not sure uploads for amd
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yes it's fine

every bios that is beta is a risk for users which they take themselves..........but ive been beta testing GBT for the last 4-5 years and havent screwed up a board with a bios flash so likelihood would be slim anyways
        Originally posted by onitake View Post
        I could do that, but I'm not sure if Gigabyte is ok with that. It's a beta BIOS that you can't get officially yet after all. I'm not familiar with their procedures and guidelines, so I'll rather play it safe for now and not distribute this to everyone.

You can always ask one of the Gigabyte guys here on tweaktown. The Latest BIOS section doesn't seem to have recent AMD board BIOSes yet. Maybe they will add them soon?
        btw i dont really upload for any platform but i can help occasionally if there is some major issue that i can try push through to the right people and get results hopefully
        Last edited by dinos22; 07-02-2010, 10:36 PM.
        GIGABYTE Australia

Comment

Ya, it would be fine to post them here!

Sorry I am not the one to give you guys these updates as I promised, my contact has been out of the office for a few weeks and it not due back until the 8th

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Ya, it would be fine to post them here!
            Ok guys, there you go: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RJYWND5Y

checksums are:
            SHA256(89FXAU52.F4a)= b8eac08d4e7de2d1e5747ae70e0529bc82be58e2686dd62a62 f3e9e45dbd2e61
            SHA256(89FXAU72.F3x)= 65aee80b6346c671c2057dd75618153c6cae8628b4712ad000 862c1788aa81bd
            MD5(89FXAU52.F4a)= 23d434fc82675f4b5f4056fc976a251f
            MD5(89FXAU72.F3x)= 8b8dea0ce854c73c2bcaef406b54a3a8

I seem to have Ethernet link issues since I updated to F4a, but this could be entirely unrelated. On Linux, it usually helps to pull the cable out and plug it back in, but not always. Inside the BIOS, I get random Short/Open reports on one interface. And I'm pretty sure I turned the Ethernet powersaving stuff off.
            Anyway, I'll investigate more and post into the appropriate thread if the problem persists.

Comment

Reflashing now, will report back.

Comment

Sorry for taking a while... World Cup games take first priority. :P
                I enabled IOMMU support, and now I don't have X working. The machine is locked up, no keyboard events even. But I can ssh into the box. So I ran `dmesg` and it looks like it's all there. But I do get some "IO_PAGE_FAULT".

Code:
                [   13.589078] AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=07:00.0 domain=0x001d address=0x0000000145969000 flags=0x0010]
                [   13.589084] AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=07:00.0 domain=0x001d address=0x0000000145969040 flags=0x0010]
                A lookup of that device (07:00.0) shows that it's my main video card that I use.

Code:
                07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)
                Very odd. This is 2.6.34 kernel. I have iommu=1 set for my kernel arguments. I've not done any google searches yet into this problem. Anyone have any ideas/hints?

Cheers.

Comment

kuzew,
                  What you're seeing may be related to this nouveau bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=561267
                  and this fix (in v2.6.35-rc3): http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...4a5dc99f0832d7

Comment

Originally posted by michich View Post
                    kuzew,
                    What you're seeing may be related to this nouveau bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=561267
                    and this fix (in v2.6.35-rc3): http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...4a5dc99f0832d7
                    Hmm, I'm not having DMAR errors, but people are talking about other IOMMU faults/errors so I will compile the latest mainline kernel, 2.6.35-rc3. Will report back with any changes. I'll also look at the changelog back till 2.6.34. I wasn't too keen on upgrading to 2.6.35.x because of major regressions with performance. Apparently that has been resolved. Thanks for the information, michich.
                    Last edited by kuzew; 07-04-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

OK, the 2.6.35-rc3 kernel has sort of fixed my issue. I still get the "IO_PAGE_FAULT" but that's a for a PCI device I'm not using (the HDMI Audio off of my NVIDIA card). I can passthrough a Ethernet device to the VM in kvm, but the MAC address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and I can't get a IP address. But it does pop up under `lspci` as the correct device. I will try Xen tomorrow, that seems more advance with IOMMU and PCI/USB passthrough.

But the IOMMU support in the Gigabyte BIOS seems to be working! When I passthough the Ethernet device and another NVIDIA card to the VM, I will be happy. Just seems to be at this point a software issue. Maybe, like I said before, Xen will work. Thanks again michich for the suggestion, it seems to be almost there!

Edit: Also it seems KDE 4.3 SC's compositing slows the machine down quite a lot, to the point that it disables itself on this new kernel. I don't know if it's the NVIDIA drivers, something in the kernel or the IOMMU enabled (it shouldn't be). I've switched back to the 2.6.34 kernel with IOMMU disabled in the BIOS till something becomes stable (the kernel or the BIOS, which ever comes 1st).
                      Last edited by kuzew; 07-04-2010, 11:15 PM. Reason: See Edit.

Comment

Looks like someone has an issue with IOMMU/Linux on one of the ASUS boards.

Customer Reviews Of ASUS M4A89TD PRO&#47;USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb&#47;s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted in the thread or not yet, but here is 890FXA-UD5 (Rev. 2) F4d BIOS with IOMMU support added
                          89FXAU52.f4d

Everyone please let me know over the next week or so if any other boards need this added and I will pass it along

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Not sure if this has been posted in the thread or not yet, but here is 890FXA-UD5 (Rev. 2) F4d BIOS with IOMMU support added
                            89FXAU52.f4d

Everyone please let me know over the next week or so if any other boards need this added and I will pass it along
                            Anything for the GA-890FXA-UD7 available or forthcoming? That looks like a top end board and probably will be my preference.

Comment

Probably! I just need to gather up a list for them to let them know what users with what boards are looking to get this added in, then I am sure after a bit they will get it added to those boards.

So I am making a list and will send it in next week or so, I'll add that one to the list. I agree, I think it should have it as well since the Ud5 does. They might as well just add it to all of them, not sure why they don't plan to.

Comment

Hi,

Can somebody update me on the state of play?
                                I'm looking to use KVM on Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
                                Beta BIOS builds and bleeding edge kernels are scaring me off buying at the moment.
                                I'd prefer the Gigabyte board as I already have one of those (785g board)
                                Do we have a drop in solution yet or is it still hand rolling your kernel + patches?

Thanks,

J1M.

Comment

Working...
                                X