EP45-UD3P rev1.0: Upgraded Memory- Aaarrhhh! G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-UD3P rev1.0: Upgraded Memory- Aaarrhhh! G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ

All DDR2 is safe up to 2.1V, this is a must according to JEDEC Specifications which all manufacturers must follow.

Although you warranty my not be safe past the rated voltage, if it dies and they prove you used more, but that normally would take 2.3+ to do any damage.

You will be fine using 2.0-2.1 if need be

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
      you may have to clock things back a little since all the sticks arent matched.
      Yeah, I realized that a while back, but not wanting to give in so easily, I forged ahead. I've been bouncing all over trying get these two sticks stabilized with an overclock of 3.4. Stubbornness kept me from backing down. Last night, out of frustration, I took out the two sticks and put in 4 sticks. They're 4 x 2GB G Skill PC2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ. While watching a movie, gone. Display went black, beep codes began as machine cycled between stop and start endlessly. @ 1AM, I'm replacing the 4 sticks with the proven 2 sticks 2 x 2GB G. Skill to finish the movie. Afterward, the 2 sticks of PC2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ goes back in. Now I'm thinking something below a 3.4GHz overclock. I figure it will be more like 3.2GHz. It's my fault for not jumping on the PC2-8500 when I had the opportunity. Knowing the DDR3 were selling and that the DDR2 availability would, eventually, dry up. It has and I'm stuck with what I have. Hey, there's always a next time. Can't wait too long, one can run out of those when it's time to pass on.

The frustration came as a result of Prime95 x64. Every time the program ran the third worker, representing the third core, would never get to the fourth test. I was getting tired after two days of this. I decided I'd rather watch a movie and then go to bed. Well, you read about the movie. I was watching the Disney movie "Prince of Persia. Gr8 copy. The movie was gr8 too.
      Last edited by ill; 05-30-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        All DDR2 is safe up to 2.1V, this is a must according to JEDEC Specifications which all manufacturers must follow.

Although you warranty my not be safe past the rated voltage, if it dies and they prove you used more, but that normally would take 2.3+ to do any damage.

You will be fine using 2.0-2.1 if need be
        That didn't help the 4 x 2GB sticks I put in. They were running 1.94v when they went bye bye. Maybe, it was because I was using all four DIMMs. I don't send back anything that I have damaged. Like the sticks I damaged this morning, I throw them in the garbage. I never play the game. Not worth getting busted for nonsense. One loses credibility with the companies that way.

Remember the line that Captain Kirk used about too much LDS?
        Last edited by ill; 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Now that I think of it, the memory may still be okay. I was so tired when I did this that I'm not sure what I did, but I may have lowered the tRFC to much causing the machine to cycle beep codes and not POST.
          Any way still having issues and may have to post the settings to achieve some sort of stability.

Comment

1.94V would not have killed the sticks, they must have been already partially faulty.

No, what did Kirk say about it? Or do you mean that parody video?

If you are getting many multiple fast beeps that almost always is tRD value set to low

Comment

Lets hope all the sticks are still good.
              Ive run my current memory at 2.4 v in bios just for testing but have never noticed any real performance increase above 2.2v.
              I could probably get
              450 fsb(900mhz)5-5-5-15 timings with 1.9v
              480 fsb(960mhz)5-5-5-15 timings with 2.0v
              do get
              450(4-4-4-12) with 2.2v
              490(5-5-5-15) with 2.08v
              500(5-5-5-15) with 2.2v
              testing:not recently
              1066mhz ddr2(6-6-6-18) (unstable)
              with 2.4v
              Essentially tho any voltage increase above 2.2 gives nothing much in performance.

I have tried my current memory 2x2gb with 2x2gb of samsung 5300 value ram.
              the samsung ram has a limit of about 730mhz ddr2 without going crazy on voltages, on its own.
              I got somewhere around the 700mhz mark using all 4 sticks of mixed memory,reasonably stable

Ooooh wow what an overclock!

My present "performance" ram got dumbed down to the "value" ram settings and less than that .because 4 sticks instead of 2 probably.

Im just thinking if you have the time(inclination),and because u may of lost track of which memory sticks were a matched pair .
              1.mark each stick with i dunno a dot of tippex or someting along the top edge,one dot for stick one etc.
              2.test each stick individually or even (shudder) test which pairs of sticks work best together.
              3.pop all 4 sticks back in and maybe expect 10% lower memory/speed performance than u achieved from the worst single stick or 15% worse than the worst pair .
              something like that ;)
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Why are you using 2.4V?

Comment

Im not "using" it or even recommending it but have tried it,kinda like waccybaccy.
                  It was for 530 cpu ref (2120 fsb) testing.
                  Im just saying the memory is still alive but anything above 2.2 didnt suddenly bring new memory performance.
                  Well honestly I have used a higher bios voltage setting, and higher voltages all round which we needent go into: when conners and myself were posting our "validations" in the 2080-2120 fsb range .
                  You know the thing where you wait for a cold day, blow cold air over the pc with the side panel off and hope the overclock holds long enough to cpuz validate it :)
                  Kinda like dry ice cheapo ,not watercooling cos that does have long term usability .
                  Last edited by kick; 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM.
                  Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                  Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                  Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                  8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                  60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                  GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                  Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                  http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Ohh ok

I thought you meant you were using it, I got ya now!

Comment

Working...
                    X