ga-p55m-ud2 & xp/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-p55m-ud2 & xp/7

Hey guys, I have a 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive (IDE) that I got with my old compaq system and I want to use it with my new system.

I'm gonna get a ga-p55m-ud2 board. Will I have problems installing XP sp2 & windows 7 (on 2 different sata hdds) if I use the IDE dvdrw with this board? Should I get a sata dvdrw instead?

Also will I be able to use the mb with only 1x2gb ddr3 without any problems?

Thanks.
    Last edited by hade1; 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM.

Re: ga-p55m-ud2 & xp/7

No, you will be fine. Just make the drive master and don't use a IDE Hard drive at the same time either.

Yes that memory amount/config will work, just be sure the memory you are looking at is compatible

Comment

Hmm I have a 80gb IDE hdd as well. So I won't be able to use both together even after installing xp & 7?

Comment

You may be able to, but normally this causes one or the other to not function properly, so it is not suggested, but you can try and see how your luck is.

Comment

Thanks a lot. Guess I'll get an IDE to USB converter or something for my hdd then.

Comment

That or IDE to SATA would work as well.

Since you are spending money though, your best bet would be to buy a SATA CD/DVD drive, you can get a decent one for $20-30 around the same you would pay for an adapter.

You can also get 300-750GB SATA Drives for about $40-50 now too, so you may want to get one of those instead and then keep your IDE CD/DVD drive

Comment

Sorry, couldn't reply earlier, been outta town the past 2 days.

Anyways, I'll have like 660gb+500gb (external hdd), so I think i'll go with the new sata dvd drive & possibly get a converter cable for the old IDE if it isn't too costly.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No problem, we all have real lives so no worries!

You can get a converter for cheap usually, maybe $10-15 or so, but they may or may not always work.

If you really want to be sure, and keep a smaller hard drive inside your system, you may be better off saving that $$ spent on a converter and just buy a smaller SATA hard drive as well so you know for sure it will work.

Comment

Working...
                X