Is my NB Fan Running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my NB Fan Running?

My current PSU is an Antec 450W. The unit has a 3 pin female plug coming out of it and fits perfectly into the NB fan header on my GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard. The BIOS indicates a NB fan speed of about 925 RPM. I can't tell if it is actually spinning because it has an enclosure around it. My sister is getting me a Molex 4 pin to 3 pin female fan wire. I want to get a Corsair PSU but it doesn't have this wire coming out of it. My questions are...

A: If it shows NB fan activity in the BIOS then is it indeed spinning?

B: Do I have to be concerned about any kind of polarity when I get this 4 pin Molex to 3 pin female cable or can I just plug it in and it'll be a go?

C: If I wanted to splice the wires myself, what color wires would I pull from the 4 pin Molex. Someone at an electronics place suggested yellow for the +12V and black for the negative connection. Is this right?

Cheers!

Re: Is my NB Fan Running?

A: By NB fan you mean the fan of the PSU? 925 RPM sounds good, and you easily tell by just holding your hand near to the power cord at the back of the PC, if you feel hot air coming out of there the fan is definitely running.

B: The adapters are generally designed in a way so that you cannot get the polarity wrong.

C: Black is is ground, i.e. 0V. I'm not sure right now which one (yellow/red) is 12v and which one is 5V, but you can easily Google that (I'm too lazy to do that for you :P).

Comment

Yes, if you see RPM in the BIOS for NB Fan then it is running

12V is normally yellow on 4 pin molex, really no need to do this though as it will run the same as it is now on the 3pin header

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

Comment

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything

Comment

Working...
          X