• GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6

System Info:
    GA-EP45-UD3p rev 1.6 (BIOS FE)
    8GB DDR2 4x2GB
    Corsair 650W PSU
    2x 1.5TB Seagates (gen 2)
    E8400 and Q9550 CPUs
    Artic Pro 7 cooler
    Under load, no temps above 45C on either CPU (any core)
    Windows 7 Ulti x64
    MSI GTS 260
    Intel Pro/1000 PT NW adapter
    No IDE drives and no floppy (disabled in BIOS)
    Not using Gigabyte SATA (JMicron) (disabled in BIOS)
    Only using Intel controller
    All drivers are current

How the system use to work with the E8400, everything set to auto and C1E and EIST enabled. System worked perfectly. Using CPU-Z, and others, watched CPU multi kick up to 9 then drop back to 6 when at idle. Opening a program or virus scanning caused the CPU to kick-up in GHz. Changed to Q9550 and OC'd to 3GHz, everything in auto except Host clock. Same settings as E8400. Again, system worked perfectly. Used @BIOS to move the FE BIOS (this was before I read about @BIOS). Everything working well. CPU multi changing under load to max value, (8.5) then dropping back at idle. BIOS showed 8.5 when checked. Everything working fine!
    First MISTAKE, decided to add RAID 1 drive setup by adding two WD 500GB HD. Some how or some thing screwed up and the system would not POST or allow entry into BIOS.
    Unplugged computer and jumped clear CMOS plug for 5 seconds. Removed jumper, plugged in computer and was able to enter BIOS. All previous profiles lost and the system showed FB rev BIOS. Used previous print out to set BIOS back to original settings (used @BIOS to transition back to rev FE BIOS). Now CPU multi is stuck at 6x, regardless of the settings of EIST, C1E, etc. Tried all combinations.
    FOUND THIS SITE: Uninstalled @BIOS. Setup 1GB USB drive with FB, FD and FE BIOS files (from gigabyte site and only, e.g. P45UD3P2.FE). Removed battery from computer for 3 hours (computer unplugged). While battery was out jumped out clear CMOS again (removed jumper). Installed new battery and booted into Q-Flash. Found FB file and loaded. After load went back into BIOS (never went into Windows during this process). Loaded optimized saved and exit and then reboot. Back into Q-Flash. Found FD file. Repeated process. Back into Q-Flash. Found FE file. Repeated process. During these steps never went into Windows. After last flash to FE, went into BIOS, loaded optimized (as in previous steps) saved and exited. Booted up and BIOS rev showed FE. Dis not allow Windows boot. Went into BIOS set all settings per previous print out of BIOS and booted into Windows. No problems except the CPU multi is still stuck at 6x regardless of what I enter into BIOS and does not change regardless of the load. Tried all settings of C1E, EIST, etc without any success. I now have a computer that operates at 2GHz (333 FSB) that will no increase to 2.83GHz.

Please help. What am I missing? I am as stuck as the CPU multiplier.

Best regards,

Chris

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6

Do you have your power plan set wrong in control panel? Check it out, sounds like you want balanced and then in advanced power settings, processor management you need to adjust to what you want.

You do have C1E and EIST enabled correct?

Also, next time you can flash directly to any BIOS version you like.

You may want to flash to the latest again, this time in Qflash Disable "Keep DMI Data" using Pgup/PgDn keys.

Comment

Currently, both EIST and C1E are enabled. I have tried all combinations with the same results.

I have attached a jpg of the power management settings. The only thing I have changed is sleep never.

Curiously, in the past when I entered the BIOS the 8.5 CPU multi stayed 8.5. Now when I change it to 8.5 and re-enter the BIOS, it reverts back to 6x

I will try in a few minutes the re-flash with DMI clear set.

THANK you for your response. I am just a little frustrated.

Best regards,

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

So what happens if you disable C1E and EIST?

Don't let is get to ya too much, you will fix it!

Good luck and I'll see ya tonight or tomorrow

Comment

"So what happens if you disable C1E and EIST?"
          Goes back to 6x regardless of what I enter into the BIOS.

Do you think it is worth the effort to go back to the E8400?

Have a great day.

Chris

Comment

I tried the re-flash with the Keep DMI disabled. Re-booted, loaded optimized, save and exit. Entered BIOS again, setup to previous settings and the CPU multi stays at 6x regardless of EIST, C1E and C2E. Just for grins, I changed Host freq to 353 and CPU multi to 8.5 (3GHz). Host freq stayed at 353, but CPU multi reverted back to 6x.

Comment

PC Wizard info. This is interesting?
              Attached Files

Comment

Additional jpg info
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, try flashing back to one of the BIOS Before FE, Fda and 2 previous FE beta's are here

Comment

Just FYI, I could only get the FEb link to work. The others are dead (for rev 1.6 only).

Comment

This is with both FEb and FD rev BIOS running Prime95 (64bit). EIST and C1E enabled. Would it be worth the effort to bootup in ubuntu and/or change to the E8400?
                      Attached Files

Comment

The following is from a program called Windows 7 Manager. I have highlighted the "issue". What does it mean?

Thank you,

Chris
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure about that?

Yes, see if things work properly in Ubuntu, if they do you may need to do a clean install of windows

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6, Fix, sort of

I decided to try one last thing, I disabled the CPU thermal monitor (TM2) and now the system works perfectly. With EIST and C1E disabled the CPU stays at 3GHz (353x8.5). Enabling EIST and C1E cause the CPU to throttle and even the smallest load, e.g. opening CPU-Z, causes the CPU to increase to max freq, 3GHz in this case.

About a month ago, I gave the computer a complete cleaning. I visited the Arctic Silver 5 site to determine their method of application for a quad core Intel CPU. I followed their directions. Previously, I had applied a then layer of compound to the CPU and to the base of the cooler. I just assumed this is how you would normally apply the compound. What is curious is that none of the core temps are over 44C, but my experience with temp sensors indicates they are not accurate.

Plan: clean and re-seat the CPU. Is there a best method of applying the thermal compound? I am using an Arctic Pro CPU cooler.

Best regards,

Chris

Comment

I use the small dot method myself, or use the line method they mention, either will work just fine as long as you do not use too much (Less is more).

Great to hear you found the cause of this issue! So now, did you test enabling TM2 again to be sure it acted the same proving this is the problem?

If so please send in a report, tell them how to reproduce the issue, and ask them to forward to the BIOS engineers so they can correct it
                              GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

As for your temps, surely they will raise over 44C if you put the CPU on load right? Like with Prime95 or Orthos, ect?

Comment

Working...
                              X