Update MBs for > 2.1 TB drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update MBs for > 2.1 TB drives?

In the last couple of days I have seen some articles about disk drives over 2 TB. I had believed that compatibility was just a matter of running Win 7. Seems that for a MB to work with these drives the bios needs to be replaced by a different system.

My questions is - can existing boards be upgraded to deal with this; or will we have to replace the "fairly future proof" MB I just bought?
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Re: Update MBs for > 2.1 TB drives?

I'm curious as well if there is a cut-off point for chipset models that will accept the new >2TB HDDs, e.g. will old chipsets like my G31 need BIOS upgrade?

Comment

You will just need to update to GPT File system, or partition your drives down into smaller partitions.

As of now, no I do not think it can be changed in current BIOSes or they would have done so already for people that use 1-2TB drives in RAID Arrays

Comment

Ah, makes sense! Thanks!

Comment

Ya, a BIOS change would mean to EFI or UEFI to directly support those, which isn't possible to just change the BIOS like that.

Comment

Yes, I had the impression that it is not a bios update. The bios needs to be replaced by I believe the UEFI. I could not remember UEFI when I made the post.

I did a quick search and skimmed a couple of articles. I really don't care to know all that much about how it works; just if the existing boards can handle it. It seems that the the bios goes away but I am not clear on the mechanism of dealing with the loader in the UEFI.

Maybe a bios update that erases itself except for starting an external boot loader. Don't know. One reference mentioned some MSI MBs can use it.
            Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
            i7 3770
            2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
            Integrated graphics
            Seasonic Platinum 760W
            be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
            Fractal Define XL R2 case
            Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Ya, it would have to be replaced, and I am not sure if that is actually possible for them to do with the current onboard BIOS chips.

Ya, there is a few boards out there now that have EFI/UEFI, I think MSI and Asus have at least 1-2 that use it

Comment

Working...
              X