Slave IDE device not detected when SATA in AHCI/RAID mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slave IDE device not detected when SATA in AHCI/RAID mode

I have a problem with enabling SATA AHCI mode in BIOS. At the beginning I must say that this problem doesn't appear when using SATA in IDE mode.

After I enable SATA AHCI mode, BIOS is unable to detect slave device attached to IDE controller (master is detected). It does not matter whether HDD is master and DVD slave or vice-versa. BIOS is just stuck while detecting slave device for long time and then says "None". Interesting is that the problem appears only when performing cold start. Slave device is correctly detected after restart.

I have already contacted official Gigabyte support but I wasn't satisfied with answer, so I'm trying to ask here. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-MA770T-UD3P(rev. 1.0)
    BIOS Ver : F3, updated to F7
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : Gainward 9600GT 512 MB Green Edition
    CPU Brand : AMD Model : Athlon II X4 620 Speed : 2.60 GHz
    Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP : -
    Memory Brand : Kingston Type : DDR3
    Memory Size : 4 GB Speed : 1600 MHz
    Power Supply : Enermax Liberty 400 W

HDD Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB connected to SATA2_0 connector.
    HDD Seagate ST3160023A 160 GB connected as IDE master.
    DVD-RW LG SuperMulti GSA-4160B connected as IDE slave.
    Last edited by Big Muscle; 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM. Reason: added motherboard to title

Re: Slave IDE device not detected when SATA in AHCI/RAID mode

You can't have a hard drive and IDE drive on the same cable in AHCI mode, I am not sure why this is but I have seen it happen often.

Your best bet if you have to keep both of those IDE devices is to leave things in IDE mode, otherwise you will need to remove the IDE Hard drive or get a SATA CD/DVD drive.

SATA CD/DVD drives are fairly cheap, you can get one for $20 or so, less if you can use ebay.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

Interesting thing is that when BIOS is stuck at that "Detecting IDE devices..." and I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, system restarts and both devices are found immediately then. Also when restarting Windows, both devices are found. Problem appears only on cold start.

Gigabyte support sent me new BIOS ver 8a for test (http://ggts.gigabyte.eu/FileList/923079/ma77tud3.f8a). But I don't want to flash it unless someone tries that flashing this version is without problems.

Comment

Ahh ok, I missed the cold boot part.

Flashing beta BIOS is fine, I only use Beta BIOS myself.

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash with, use Qflash or DOS, here is a guide

Comment

So I have updated BIOS using Qflash utility, but problem hasn't been solved.

I guess I have to use IDE mode now and buy SATA DVD-RW soon.

Comment

Did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed?

Also, when flashing did you disable "Keep DMI Data"? If not you may want to do that again, or fully clear your CMOS for 20 minutes and then load optimized again.

That of course will only help if there is a fix in the BIOS that should work, if there isn't it wont matter and you will just need to use IDE until you get a SATA CD/DVD

Comment

Optimized defaults have been loaded after flashing.

I must admit that I'm not sure about DMI, because I didn't notice such option in Q-Flash. I know it's in @BIOS (where it is set NOT to clear) which I used in the past to flash from F3 to F7. Now I used Q-Flash.

Comment

It's in Qflash, right above Load optimized. You have to use the PgUp/PgDn keys to change it.

It may not matter though, just clear your CMOS for a while then try optimized again and see if things remain the same or not.

When using AHCI, did you test Native mode enabled and disabled?

Comment

I cleared the CMOS (by putting jumper on "Clear CMOS" pins), then loaded optimized defaults. It didn't solve the problem.

What do you mean by "test Native mode enabled and disabled" ? There's options AHCI, RAID, Native IDE. The first two have problem, the third one doesn't.

Comment

Well it looks like you will just need to keep this on IDE until you can get a SATA CD/DVD Drive

Comment

I tested my HDD in IDE and AHCI mode and I don't see any big difference in performance. So I will use IDE mode for now.

AHCI:

Native IDE:

Comment

HDD Seagate ST3160023A 160 GB connected as IDE master.
                        DVD-RW LG SuperMulti GSA-4160B connected as IDE slave.
                        Are you asking a ultra ATA100 Hard Drive to work on the same ribbon with a Ultra DMA33 DVDRW? No please get another SATA DVD-RW or a SATA HDD. If you get another SATA Drive you may want to connect it to SATAII 4 The SATA HDD to SATAII_0 through SATAII_3 thats one of the first 4 SATAII connectors. Then go into bios and set it like this.
                        Code:
                        Integrated Peripherals
                        OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]
                        Onboard 1394 Function [Enabled]
                        Onboard LAN Function [Enabled]
                        Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
                         SMART LAN [Press Enter]
                        OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
                        OnChip SATA Type [[COLOR="darkred"]AHCI[/COLOR]]
                        x OnChip SATA Port4/5 [COLOR="darkred"]Type IDE[/COLOR]
                        Onboard Audio Function [Enabled]
                        OnChip USB Controller [Enabled]
                        USB EHCI Controller [Enabled]
                        USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]
                        USB Mouse Support [Disabled]
                        Legacy USB storage detect [Enabled]
                        Onboard Serial Port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
                        Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]
                        Parallel Port Mode [SPP]
                        x ECP Mode Use DMA 3
                        You are trying to strech the DMA boundries here.
                        DVD-RW is PIO mode 4 / Ultra DMA 33 only requires a 40 wire 40 pin ribbon.
                        The HDD is PIO mode 6 / Ultra ATA 100 requires a 80 wire 40 pin ribbon. You should not have them both on the same ribbon.
                        An ATA 100/133 80 wire 40 pin ribbon usually will be only backward compliant to ATA66-ATA100 and ATA133 but not backward compliant to Ultra DMA 33
                        They sometimes may work but not well and you could cause damage to the HDD. At best the HDD is running at ATA66 when connected with the DVD-RW
                        Last edited by artdrivers; 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM.
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                        Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse
                        Monitor: CMV937A
                        7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                        Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

That DVD-RW is ATA66 (Ultra DMA 4). 80pin cable is used. It was running together with this disk for 7 years on my old motherboard. HDD is used for backups only, DVD-RW is used rarely. I wanted to stay with them for a while until I will buy new case. Then I will buy new DVD-RW too so it matches case colour. Just practical reason :-)

To your settings:
                          Why does the DVD need to be connected to SATA2_4 connector? I have already read in this forum that it is recommended to do so, but I would like to know why.
                          What happens when I set SATA 4/5 ports to "As SATA type" (so it uses AHCI too)? Any negatives?

Thank you.

Comment

I agree with their is very little difference in IDE and AHCI. Unless you are using the a hotswap. In IDE I can get hard drive temps in speedfan or hwmonitor. In AHCI I loose them. I have a RAID-0 and it is twice as fast for data exchange. But no real speed increase with AHCI.
                            I'm not trying to sell anything here, but you can get SATA DVD-RW's at a very reasonable price.
                            Newegg.com - DVD Burners, External DVD Burner, CD DVD Burners, DVD Media
                            CD Burner, DVD Burner, Blu-Ray Drive, Blu-Ray Burner, CD DVD Burner, External DVD Burner, DVD Burners, CD Burners at TigerDirect.com
                            It was running together with this disk for 7 years on my old motherboard
                            I am just warning you this has caused damage to run the 2 on the same ide. It is not wise. Most older systems were set up with 2 ide channels a primary and a secondary. The hdd's usually on primary kind of like the photo below shows.

By artdrivers at 2010-04-29
                            Yes Some SATA DVD-RWs only work in ide mode. If you set your SATAII_0 through 3 to RAID/AHCI Then the SATAII_4 and 5 as SATA type will be the same. This is a split point on your controller to allow you to do both.
                            Last edited by artdrivers; 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM.
                            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                            Logitech G500 USB mouse
                            Monitor: CMV937A
                            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

For me, temperatures are displayed in speedfan regardless I use IDE or AHCI mode. What's more interesting is that whole SMART status is readable although I disabled it in BIOS.

I will probably buy DVD-RW Samsung SH-S223L which I have found in our shop. I don't need hotswap. And when I get it I will test both modes to see how the drive works.

Comment

Working...
                              X