Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-H22M-S2H will not power on! Help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H22M-S2H will not power on! Help needed.

Cannot turn on system:

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
    i3 530 @ stock
    4x2GB OCZ Platinum's CAS 6
    Using integrated video and audio
    Corsair 400W PSU
    500GB WD Black

Built system 2 months ago, all new parts from Micro Center. Updated to latest BIOS at the time, don't remember what it is now, and can't power up system to check.

About 2 weeks ago the system just powered itself off from Windows 7 x64 desktop. Turned back on immediately with power button.

Last night we shut down the system and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and system will not power on. When the power button is pressed the system acts like it will power on for a split second, then shuts right back off. Reset and power buttons are then unresponsive. Cycling the PSU power switch yields the same results. Tried a different mobo battery and clearing CMOS, nothing. Took out mobo battery as I type this up. Will put it back in in awhile to see if anything changes.

Have attempted disconnecting power to PSU for 30 minutes and attempt to start. No dice.

Disconnected all unnecessary items from motherboard.

Tested PSU with power supply tester, and on another system. Voltages in nominal ranges, all good to go.

Tried powering on again with just one stick of RAM at a time.

None of this has made the system power on.

What's next? Re-seat the CPU? The tower has not been moved recently, nor has the case been open.

All my diagnostics point to the mobo. Anybody else experiencing these problems?

Thanks for any/all advice. Peace!
    Last edited by cesthree; 05-10-2010, 06:26 AM. Reason: Wish I could edit the title to display the correct part number.
    i5-2500K / ASRock Z68 Pro3-M / Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Corsair AX850 / 150GB WD VRaptor / 1TB WD Black
    7 Pro X64 SP1 / EVGA 9800GTX+

Re: GA-H22M-S2H will not power on! Help needed.

tried with a different psu? i know it worked in another pc but gigabyte boards are very choosy when it comes to psu's
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok, but this was brand new 2 months ago, and its a Corsair PSU. I know my TX750 is rock solid, but I don't have any experience with the 400W Corsair.

Hopefully its not as picky as a DFI NF4 - at any rate - why would it work fine for a few months, and then stop working all together?

I will see if I can power the system with another PSU.

Comment

i dont know,but to be 100% sure its best to go through each component one at a time start with psu,you say youve tested one ram stick at a time?? removed cmos battery?? next thing id look at is the cpu socket be careful not to damage anything and look for any even slightly bent pins,makesure heatsink is fitted correctly and not overtightened or the heatsink backplate isnt shorting on the case
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Alrighty then.

Tried a 550W known good PSU. No Go. Does the same thing. Acts like its going to turn on for a split second and then right back off.

So. I tried the CX400 PSU on another rig, runs just fine.

Also, I removed the heatsink, all RAM, and CPU. Checked all pins with my trusty electronic microscope. All good.

Put everything back together. Still no better results.

Calling it a night. Gonna go play some games on my other rig.

How does one start an RMA request? Through the forums, or through Giga's site?

Laters!

Comment

Have you cleared the CMOS for a long time yet? If not please try doing so using the long method I outline in post #2 here

Then if no luck try one stick of memory and clear it again and try once more, I know you tried this but please try again after long CMOS clear or try different memory if you can. If no luck after that please try the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray, with only one stick of memory, your GFX card if using one, and CPU/Heatsink only. NO CD/DVD drives or hard drives.

RMA page is here if things come to that

Comment

So, powered up my old DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D with the CX400 today. Stress tested for awhile using a GTS 250. G2G.

Tried some Corsair Dominator-GT's and an i7-860 in the S2H. No change. Tried all the stuff you linked to. Still no change.

RMA submitted. Will update progress when I get some. Thanks to all for your help.

Peace.

Comment

Sorry to hear you couldn't get this going! Maybe the PSU is not compatible or not good enough?

Let us know how the RMA goes for you

Comment

No, the PSU is functioning properly. I was able to run my DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D for several hours yesterday without a problem. I don't know if you had ever owned ANY NF4 system, but they were MOST picky about PSU's, especially DFI's.

Welcome to Corsair :: CX Power Supplies

Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 standard and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems.
                  This PSU has a 30A 12V rail, and I am satisfied that it is good to go if I can run my NF4 w/ a GTS 250. I only used a GTS 250 because that mobo has to have a dedicated GPU.

Then if I plug the CX400 into the GA-H55M-S2H - nothing. It just "pops", lights flicker, and then nothing.

30A should be plenty for an i3-530 running stock speeds using the integrated Intel HD graphics. I wouldn't have any concerns with using that PSU on this system and adding a GTS 250 or less in the future.

This is basically an internet machine I built for a homie. He wanted a decent rig made from some better than Dell quality parts. It's been flawless for months.

Gigabyte is exceptional, however I don't really like the mobo mount spacing. WAY too much board flex, even with the stock cooler. I've got a Xigmatek Crossbow on order for the replacement mobo we get.

Yeah, will def keep you guys updated! Peace!

Comment

Well I meant maybe the PSU is not enough for this setup possibly?

When you say "Pops" what do you mean by that??? Doesn't sound good at all if there is a actual poping sound, sounds like a short somewhere to me!!

Did you try it outside of the case and off the motherboard tray? That would eliminate shorts, unless the xigmatek is shorting something on the front or back.

If you are unsure of that and you haven't sent the board off yet try it with the stock cooler outside of the case and on a wooden table or cardboard box.

Comment

First off, I don't want to sound unappreciative to your help, and I haven't been trying to sound that way.

I don't think that this whole system would have more power requirements than a socket 939 3700+ (90nm, 85.3 TDP) CPU alone. Plus, I added in a GTS 250 and stressed with Furmark for a good 4 hours yesterday.

That was all using the same CX400 PSU that was from the original build. Also, I took the mobo out on Sunday (a few days ago), its been riding on its cardboard box since then.

I have tried the stock Intel cooler as well. Same results.

The Xigmatek I have doesn't have a backplate. I ordered one for it so I can put it one with the replacement mobo I get (RMA approved this morning).

Should have never put that cooler on there without a backplate. It's not that this Xigmatek cooler flexes the mobo more than the Intel stock cooler, because it doesn't. I just hate the fact that engineers think its o.k. for a PCB to flex like that. A backplate is the only way to fly.

Comment

It's ok, you haven't sounded like that at all to me.

You may be right about your PSU, I was just asking if maybe it wasn't enough? Really enough wattage is not always the answer though, sometimes you need a more compatible PSU or certain amounts on the 12V rail for example, ect.

I agree, backplates all the way!!

Sorry I couldn't help you get this sorted out! And really you have not sounded unappreciative to me at all, or if you did I didn't notice :)

Hopefully your RMA goes smoothly and your new board works better! If it acts the same I would be trying to find a larger PSU to test with before buying one, just incase this is the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X