• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD5 + Marvell SATA3 Issues?

Hey all,

I've just put together a new system with the following:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    2x Western Digital 600GB 10,000RPM Raptors on the SATA3 port in RAID0
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 5870

After installing Windows 7x64 I started having random issues that I have narrowed down. Windows would install fine, but would not load properly on a warm reboot. Sometimes it would give me a blank screen right before the "Microsof Windows" text appeared. Other times, I'd see "Microsoft Windows", then the system would stop responding. Note - it would not lock up. If I hit control-alt-delete it would restart. Numlock on the keyboard would respond, and if I tapped the power button it would turn off (rather than a hard lock which requires you to hold the power button or switch the power off at the p/s). On a cold boot, Windows loads quickly and runs stable for days. Only on a warm restart will these issues occur. I have talked to gskill to get the RAM timings/adjustments. Same issues. I have talked to Gigabyte, who of course blamed the RAM. Also just for the sake of argument I installed the latest BETA BIOS which is F6E. Same results. I have a hard time believing that I could have bad hardware since on a cold boot Windows runs rock solid for days. This odd behavior seems like bios/firmware/driver related nonsense?

I took the PC completely apart except for the hard drives and 1 2gb RAM chip. Same issues. I swapped out RAM, tried different slots, etc. Last night I decided to plug an older 80GB SATA 2 drive into the Gigabyte controller (not the Marvell) and I installed Windows on that. The Marvell is currently disabled in the BIOS. I have had no issues since. Obviously I'm down to the hard drives or the controller. I have seen several people having odd issues with this Marvell controller on these forums. Has anyone else run into these kinds of issues?

Re: GA-X58A-UD5 + Marvell SATA3 Issues?

Were you using Marvell drivers? If so try your drive again on the Marvell ports, but only use the Microsoft drivers (IE No axtra driver)

This only happens on warm boot right? Odd, normally people have cold boot issues and I would suggest letting me help them with BIOS settings, sounds like you might be OK as far as that goes eh?

You are setting your own QPI/Vtt and Dram voltages right? Just wondering, I don't think this has anything to do with warm boot issues, normally only stability or cold boot issues.

Comment

Lsdmeasap,

When I installed Windows 7 x64 several times I was using the stock driver that it picked up on the install DVD. I did add the Marvell Console Driver and the Marvell Raid Utility off Gigabytes site later. I believe though that the console driver is for another device as the Microsoft RAID driver was already installed to get Windows to boot in the first place :). I can't even find a proper Marvell SATA3 driver on Gigabytes site for this board. Just the Console driver/RAID utility. Marvell direct has nothing either. So I stayed with whatever Microsoft gave me on the install.

Yes, I have issues only on a warm boot and tonight before formatting I was having issues cold booting as well with the Marvell. I've built PC's for years and used to do it for a living, and this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this. As you said, normally you get cold boot issues right away. I have literally fiddled with every single BIOS setting. I've set it back to defaults and done just the bare minimum leaving the voltages stock but adjusting the DRAM voltage to 1.6 and the timings per GSKILL.

Tonight I decided to try the RAID 0 config on the Intel SATA2 controller. I put both my 600GB raptors on there and Windows installed flawlessly and has been running all night and will warm boot when I so desire. Windows will load every single time. After I confirmed my system was stable I clocked up my RAM, raised my QPI/Vtt voltages (the lowest I could go and stay stable for now). The RAM is running at 2002MHz now and still the machine is completely stable. I have completely disabled this Marvell controller for the moment. I've seen nothing but complaints about this thing and it seems like they need a BIOS/Driver update to get it fixed. Also I find it amusing that my Windows Experience Rating was 6.3 with the Marvell controller, and 6.2 with the Intel controller. Something is definitely amiss here.

Thanks for replying, if you have ANY ideas/suggestions please let me know. I'm not attached to anything on this machine and all my applications are disposable. I can format/change settings to anything you think may help!

Comment

There is several Marvell drivers on GBT site, pre-install, console, RAID Utility you mention, and another I believe.

You don't need anything Marvell installed if you are not using RAID on the Marvell ports, which I suggest you don't as the Intel ports/RAID is faster anyway still due to drivers. Which I see you have, good idea! Ya, Marvell needs to make better drivers for sure!

Do you have EuP enabled in the BIOS, or Quick Boot? If you have either enabled, disable them and see if your issues persist

Do you have write back cache enabled? If not enable that for your array in either Device manager/properties for the array, or within the Intel Matrix Program

Comment

I haven't found the EuP setting, but quickboot is disabled. Where is this EuP setting? I've scoured the BIOS!

I've got a few other PC's with the Intel onboard so I found the write back cache in a hurry! :) Thanks again!

Comment

EuP setting is in the Power Management page of the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
            X