Ga-965p-ds3 / ga-p35-ds3l + hd4770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-965p-ds3 / ga-p35-ds3l + hd4770

Bought a HD477AYDFC and 400W Corsair PSU to give my Core2 build away, which previously had a HD4870.
    It takes 20sec to POST with the 4770 on both the P965 and P35 boards (the 4770 makes a squealing noise, not too much unlike a GPU running furmark during this).
    But the main problem is I can't seem to change FSB. It rejects any manual CPU clock, even if I leave it at stock. If I let it boot into Windows with stock FSB, all is fine.. manged to overclock the 4770 from 750/800 to 925/1000, furmark stable.
    If I swap the 4870 back in, all is fine.. can OC my E6300 from 1.86 to 3.15GHz.

I've tried 2 PSUs, Corsair 400 and 650W, both motherboards are on the latest BIOS, tried a different 4770 BIOS.. I'm out of ideas.

Seems like this could maybe be fixed with a BIOS update (the latest one for both these boards is almost a year old).. as the card does work perfectly once in windows.. or perhaps the card is in someway faulty?, I don't have a newer board(yet) to test it. :(
    Any ideas?

Re: Ga-965p-ds3 / ga-p35-ds3l + hd4770

Did you try the latest Beta BIOSes we have posted here?

Have you tried increased SB Voltages? Have you cleared the CMOS by removing the battery for 20+ minutes, this can often help.

Ya, could be the card too? Can't you test it on a friend's PC or another at your house?

Comment

I was just about try to upping the north/southbridge voltages. I know i can't change the PCI-E freq, it rejects it as it does the FSB.

Could resetting the CMOS really help? I mean, I can get into the BIOS fine.
      I have a feeling it is my card, though.. the P965 and P35 aren't THAT old.. and the 4770 is a very popular card, and I can't find much on this with google.

I have a P55M-UD2 sitting here, but I had to RMA my DDR3(I'm just so lucky with PC hardware, aren't I?), it should get here in a few days.

Edit: And yeh, I'm on the latest BIOSs, F14 for the P965 and F9 for the P35, I don't see any beta ones inthat thread.

Edit2: Tried 0.1v on the MCH/FSB/PCI-E, nada.
      Last edited by ridill; 05-04-2010, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Ya, CMOS reset then load optimized would help since you installed a new card. So could reflashing the BIOS with Qflash and Disable "Keep DMI Data", both could help

I would imagine it should be fine on the P35, not sure about the 965P though, but since you see similar problems on both boards it very will might be the card itself. You'll have to find some other PC to test in to be sure, or once you get your DDR3 back you can do it there.

Ya, sorry, looks like those are the same BIOSes posted in out BIOS thread.

Comment

I'll try a CMOS reset on both boards tomorrow.
          Is there a paramater I have to use to wipe the DMI data with gigabyte's DOS flash tool? The 965P only takes floppy from Qflash. :| I don't really trust these 10 year old floppies I have.. Not sure about the P35 board, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Use Qflash to clear DMI. When you are selecting the BIOS file in Qflash you will see Keep DMI Data settings, disable this by using the PgUp/PgDn/ keys

Comment

Ah, tried Qflash again and it recognized my USB drive this time. Cleared the DMI and reset the CMOS on both, still nothing.

I contacted both Gigabyte and XFX, and sure enough they blame eachother's product.

Oh well, if the card works properly in my 1156 board i probably won't RMA it. Plus I can get a 20% overclock with CIA2 "Full Thrust" or whatever, which is better than nothing... hmm, which software overclocking solution would you recommend?, Easytune seems hit or miss.. sometimes it overclocks the board fine, others it crashes at the same FSB.

Comment

Sorry to hear nothing helped yet!

Did you get your DDR3 back yet?

I recommend overclocking is done in the BIOS only. If you need help with settings I can help, just let me know.

Comment

Got my DDR3 today, memtest86+ pass this time. >_>
                  The 4770 works fine on the GA-P55M-UD2, as i thought. I'll keep the card and probably leave CIA2 on the P965(it's keeping the 4770); Maybe gigabyte will update the BIOS someday.

Thx for the quick replies lsdmeasap.

Comment

Nice to hear you got this all sorted (Well partially anyway) and it's now working!

The might update the 965 BIOS, but it isn't too awful likely without a push. Have you asked them at all yet?

Comment

After a lot of back and fourth with Gigabyte(waiting 1-2 days per response ) they told me "Unfortunately we do not have your card available to test, we will check with our team regarding this board and the 4770 card".

Here's to hoping.

Comment

Hmm, well although the issue might be specific to your exact brand/model, I'd still ask them if they would test 4770 in general on these boards.

Did you ask that? They do have 4770 for sure, because they make them

Comment

Working...
                        X