Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few Questions on Raid, Trim & Backups on UD5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Questions on Raid, Trim & Backups on UD5!

Hi, been a while since posted with problems and this time just need some pointers on a few things bugging me right now.

1. I have 2 crucial SSD's in raid 0 for the OS and recently it's been announced that the new Intel Rapid Storage Drivers (STOR_allOS_9.6.0.1014_PV) Support trim in windows 7. However I can't quite get a definitive answer to whether or not Trim will work on a raid 0 config. If it does, is there any way of knowing it's actually working or not?

2. I have in the past attempted data backup or redundancy using a raid 1 config for my data storage. I remember it being annoying as sometimes booting up, the intel software decided it's gonna rebuild the array (for whatever reason) and it takes forever. So recently I decided to use some software to basically keep the 2 1tb (samsung f1) disks synchronised and although this seemed more suitable I then found problems with data being missed off and the used areas of the disks differing in size; thus causing concern and headaches trying to find out whats been missed etc.
    So decided to give RAID 1 a go again on my Ud5 and its just the same. Worked ok and then I turned it back on and intel software said it was "initialsing". I thought well maybe if the system doesnt shut down properly or something the software does this to ensure data integrity. But really I could do with out that. I then took the Intel Matrix software off and STILL now even in the BIOS the raid status is saying "INITIALISING". However the array is visible in windows and I can access the data fine! However the HDD light is on constantly so I assume now it probably isnt intel software but the physical array doing its own checks. Really I'm not sure if this is a decent back up solution or even if its working correctly. I know both disks are A OK as checked with manufactuers utils etc.
    3. So just looking for some feedback from anyone who used this methind before, is this behaviour normal, or is it better just to stick to conventional back ups maybe.

Thanks!
    i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ)@ 4.2GHz Max
    /Arctic Silver 5/Prolimatech Megahalem & 1 x2500 rpm (PWM)
    fan PUSH & 1 x 1500 fan PULL
    /Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard/
    Patriot PVT36G1600LLK DDR3 1600 Mhz (8-8-8-26)
    6 GB (3x2GB Kit)/1.65V/Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000W
    ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply/2
    x Crucial SSD M225 64Gb Raid-0/
    2 x 1TB SpinPoint SATA-II 32MB Cache/
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Video Graphics/
    Windows 7 64/HAF 932 CoolerMaster
    STABILITY......................................... ...............
    prime95+ blend 24 hours - pass
    Memtest+ 10 Passes - No errors
    prime95+ large FFT 12 hours - pass
    Linx (full memory) 25 passes - pass
    Furmark - 1+ hour - error/problem free

Re: Few Questions on Raid, Trim & Backups on UD5!

No, it will not work in RAID yet. It was reported to be working a while back, even I reposted that as news info, but it turns out it was just incorrect wording in the Intel change logs.

The only way to "Know" if it is working is by filling up the drive to the max with random info, then letting it sit idle logged out or run the trim command. But as of now it does not work in RAID yet, and it may not ever I think since they have not fixed this already.

If you are using the 1916 Firmware you still have GC though, and that does the same thing really. Just log off your computer once a week and let it sit idle, you will see the disk activity light start flashing after a while then you know it is cleaning up things.

I always hated RAID 1 on Intel too! I would kill my backup, or so it told me anyway, during high overclocks yet my RAID 0 would be fine. Then it would spend hours rebuilding/checking for errors and find nothing to fix. So I just stopped using RAID 1.

That is normal, it can check/repair the array without the software, it's just a extra interface is all. The RAID ROM has all that in itself already, and it is normal also that you can access and use the array while this is happening.

I suggest using RAID 0 for your OS, then use a image program once a week or so and keep a backup on a normal non array disk. I suggest using Drive Snapshot as it will restore to any alignment and keep that alignment as is, so you can test different alignments if you wanted to.

If you do not care about changing alignments, then you can use Easeus Disk copy to make and restore backups, it's freeware and works fine
    EaseUS Disk Copy software is an easy-to-use disk cloning software for home user. Regardless of your operating system, this safe disk clone software can safely migrate your hard disk to another one and ensure 100% identical to the original one.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-03-2010, 05:04 AM.

Comment

TRIM will definitely not work in a RAID 0 environment, this was a misunderstanding due to badly worded release notes from Intel for that driver. What Intel meant is that TRIM will now work on non-RAID SSDs when other HDs of that system are in a RAID array. I.e. if you have two normal HDs in RAID 0 and the SSDs not in the RAID then TRIM will work, which it did not previously with the MS drivers.

Up till yesterday I had two OCZ Vertex 60GB in a RAID 0 (one died...) and I was impressed by the garbage collection in the latest firmware which basically made TRIM unnecessary. I did not notice a drop in performance even after 4 weeks and completely filling up the SSDs. Can't say if the same is true for the Crucials though. But you can find out easily, if you don't mind re-installing in case performance does drop. Just run a few benchmarks (atto, AS SSD benchmark, Crystal Disk mark...) after installing, screenshot the results and run them occasionally again after booting the PC to check for performance degradation.

RAID 1 is no substitute for back-ups, as it will only protect you from drive failure, but not from other causes of data loss like viruses, or data corruption due to motherboard failure / software problems. So if you want security, actually make back-ups, preferably on an external HD/NAS.

Comment

Ya, Crucial's use the same firmware as OCZ, 1916 (I think) added the GC so users who use the SSD's in RAID as a Non RAID Member can choose to trim or GC now.

Comment

Crucial also has the RealSSD drives with the Marvell 6G controller, but I completely forgot that they also make Indilinx drives.

If you have Indilinx drives I would actually recommend going for RAID 0. Setup is easy as well, the default stripe size is perfect, and Win 7 takes care of alignment by itself. Just install the RST drivers after installing Windows and enable write-back caching if it's not already enabled by default.

Comment

Thanks guys some great tips there as always, think Im going to go down the nas route; been looking for an excuse to get one for a while LOL.
            Glad to see you back on the forums LSD, still running stable with the OC you helped with those few months back :-) awesomeness

Comment

Happy to be back man, while I was away with no internet I almost lost my mind!!!!

Glad to hear you are still stable too, that's great!

NAS, you mean for your backups? Save some cash and grab a 500-1TB disk and use it as storage for your backups, I saw a 1TB for $89 somewhere this week.

Comment

Could do but recently I "joined the Iphone gang" and have been blown away by what it can achieve in terms of streaming video and audio etc from home PC. So rather than leave my $ghz pumping all day I thought one of these would come in handy Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Products :: Disk Station DS210j as it uses less electricty than a light bulb apparently and has loads of potential for other things too! :-)!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, and ya that would save ya some Green for sure I would imagine.

Comment

Working...
                  X