Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my motherboard has blow EP43-DS3, can you help me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my motherboard has blow EP43-DS3, can you help me?

My system specs are below.

I bought all my components from overclockers around 1 year ago.

I have been using my PC a lot recently, leaving it on overnight doing things for me.

I had left the pc on all night and when I rebooted that evening I noticed it took a long time to post, a good 10 seconds longer than normal. Once I got into windows I fired up a game of left for dead which was going fine. I always check my temps and they seemed as normal when idle. Usually around 50c core at most when in-game.

Half way through the game the computer shutoff.

Now when I turn it on the 4 LEDS near the CPU light up. This is similar to when I first bought the PC and it didn't like my RAM/settings.

So I figured i'd strip to just motherboard + 1 stick of ram and remove the bios battery for a minute + use a screwdriver to short the bios by touching the pins.

Unfortunately it still won't post and i'm worried this means the motherboard has fuxed up. I don't know what the problem is though. Maybe it could be the CPU and not the motherboard or even possibly all the ram sticks have gone?

In the past i've had trouble resetting the bios too.

What should I do? I think I need to figure out which of the three components is the problem first. What should i look for on the motherboard to see if that is the problem?

What's the overclockers guarantee? how long does it last?

Thanks guys.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ
    CPU Cooler - Big Typhoon 120 VX
    Motherboard - GA-EP43-DS3
    PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel
    Graphics card - Gainward GTX 260 @ 725mhz
    Display - 22" Samsung SM2233RZ LCD 120hz + 3D Vision
    Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    2GB Readyboost USB Flash Drive
    Hard Drive - Samsung 750GB
    Logitch G9 Gaming mouse and Razer Destructor Mousepad
    MB: GA-EP43-DS3 - F9
    CPU: Quad Core Q6600
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G)
    Graphics: ASUS 8800GT
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU
    Monitor: Dell 2007fp @ 1600 x 1200

Re: I think my motherboard has blow EP43-DS3, can you help me?

1066MHz memory can be tricky. Remove all power, and clear CMOS by removing the battery AND leaving the jumper in the "clear CMOS" position. Leave it like that for a good few hours. Then put both battery and jumper back in place and try powering it up again. Does your board or case have an onboard beeper? If they do not, install one and it should beep. Let us know of the beeps sequence.

If there are no beeps at all it means the board does not start because the CPU is not seated properly. Remove CPU, clean the underside with isopropyl alcohol, reseat CPU, apply new thermal grease and it should get going. I used to run a CPU with the heatspreader removed thus my board does not have the retention system anymore and the CPU is held in place by the cooler only. Believe me, when somehow the CPU cooler moves (happened a couple times), it is lots more frustrating in my case to get the CPU to power up than it'll be in yours. So give it a shot and keep us posted.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at it seems my chasis doesn't have a speaker! So as far as i can tell i've no way of listening to the status beeps from the motherboard.

Also, i couldn't find a jumper in all my computer stuff including the motherboard box. In the past ive used a screwdriver so instead, i've jamed a tiny screw inbetween the pins.

I turned off the power, removed the battery, secured the cmos pins and left it for 5 mins, came back and removed the screw/added the battery but no boot. So now I have done it all again but this time i will leave it for a good hour.

I haven't touched the cpu yet, removed the typhoon is a pain in my case.

Is there anyway for me to install a speaker? I've got some speare bits and bobs of old pcs,(not a speaker form another case tho)

Thanks for helping me.
      RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G)

Comment

There should be a speaker connector on the front panel pins of your motherboard, where all the case LEDs are connected. You can use any regular speaker ie you can pull one out of your old computer sound system or boombox or whatever. Just wire it up to the two speaker pins and if something is wrong it'll beep.

Oh and the clear CMOS pins should have come with their own jumper you know? Look for it better.

Comment

Interesting article Recovering from BIOS failure on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Comment

Not good news, i checked out the cpu and noticed one of the pins on the socket was bent. It must have been like this for Aatleast 6 months with no problems. So i'm no sure this was ausing a problem. Either way i tried to straighten it out and it snapped.

Still will not boot.

Has anyone had success repairing a snapped lga 775 pin?

Comment

I will order a new motherboard, can you recommend a similar board, possibly better board that will fit the same case?

Thankyou

Comment

I'd get a P45 chipset board. Repairing a snapped pin IS possible... but it's something i would try to do only if i REALLY need that board. Your motherboard is a regular ATX board so you can get any other one without worrying about fitting it in the case. I'd wait for the moderator's recomendation, he knows the boards best.

Comment

If it is snapped off you will have to buy a new board, or try to RMA and tell them you will pay for repairs (Because bent/broken pins is user damage and generally gets a NO on RMA Request)

Any P45 board will fit your case, they are all the same size unless you buy a smaller one like a M-ATX one. Show me a link to your favorite store and I will tell you which are the same size you have now if you are unsure.

Comment

Working...
                  X