Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my gigabyte ex58 ud5 is killed after bios update!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my gigabyte ex58 ud5 is killed after bios update!!

dear people
    after updating the right BIOS for my Gigabyte EX58 UD5 (rev 1.0) motherboard to the latest stable version (F12) using the windows upgrade utility something went wrong i think. since then whenever I reboot the computer just hangs now at the DOS post screen. it keeps on restarting over and over again...i cant get into anything...i see the gigabyte postscreen and then just restarts...Why did this happen? I ensured it was the correct revision and model..? ps..i already tried to get into QFLASH (END).. nothing works...and getting into bios (DEL) also not..even pushing clr cmos on the back of the board doesnt do anything...

I do have a good bios version on a usb stick now...but i cant use it if i cant use bios update...doesnt this motherboard have a dual bios or such kind? and if so..how do i activate the backup then?

How can I fix this? Any help would be appreciated...
    paulo

Re: my gigabyte ex58 ud5 is killed after bios update!!

Please try to clear CMOS and power on it. It may keep power on and reset. just leave it for few mins and it is supposed to have auto bios recovery. If not, you may need to have your m/b repaired. next time if you would like to flash bios, it's better to use Qflash not utility in windows.

Comment

Yes, please try clearing the CMOS using the long method mentioned here in post #2

If that does not work, please try removing your memory and put only one stick in slot one, and see if it will then start. Sometimes this will change the DMI pool and allow it to start.

If you still do not have any luck, don't give up yet there is a few other things for you to try, just giving you the easy ones first.

Comment

thanks guys i will try both things..

question to 1st solution..am i supposed to hold clr cms button on backside for a couple of minutes..or just 1 minute and then the pc starts over and over a couple of times and then by itself resets?
        i will try this first and then will try the second long version suggested by u guys...
        thanks
        i will updating this when i tried both ways.

Comment

Please go ahead and clear the CMOS using the long method I mentioned in my reply. You do not have jumpers to short, but follow the rest about removing the battery and wait 20 minutes or so.

While you do this, go ahead and remove all memory except one stick in any white slot, this way the DMI pool will need rebuilt as this can help as well.

If you don't have any luck let us know, and I can tell you how to short the MAIN BIOS chip, otherwise you will have to RMA the board

Comment

no luck took out 2memory sticks of the 3...battery out..waited 1 hour...still same prob....still keeps on restarting after seeing bootup screen of gigabyte..no kick in of the back up bios..shouldnt the backup bios kick in automatically by now? whats the reason of having a dual bios is the second one wont kick in when needed?
            so no luck until now...any more advices?
            ps..sorry for the lae reply...had some family issues to resolve also

Comment

there is a way to wipe the main bios and force the back up bios to reflash the main but you have to short certain bios pins and if you get it wrong you could ruin the bios chips im not sure what pins you need to cross to do it
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

it works again...!!! but not without some luck!!
                !!..after all ur help i was all bricked....as it still restarted over and over again...but by accident i kicked out the usb cable of my steelseries xai mouse...and hourah...it booted...so weird....i know my mouse has a internal screen (and processor) in it on the underside..so it gets power from the usb...but weirdest thing is that my also steelseries (with illimunated keys..lolz) keyboard does work...other mouses (also with ulimination lolz)dont give problems... i tried...this problem never happened before my hickup with my bios last month...it worked all fine...does the mouse use to much power from board with bootup? ps..i updated the bios to latest version F12 with qflash..put bios all on automatic optimized status. Just as mentioned in ur HOW TO flash steps...
                so..my board does work...but only if i detach my expensive gaming mouse from usb...when i am in windows 7 64bit i re-attach it..and all works flawlessly...ps. led status hangs on code 65 (ps2 mouse recognition?)before restarting with mouse attached.tnks for ur help.
                ps..i do have a new corsair HX750 powerunit and 4x 7200rpm sata hdd's and one GTX 275 and a creative xi-fi fatality and thermaltake cpu watercooling on the I920 D-core and 5x12cm fans and 6x2GB kingston 1600mhz ddr3 memory..
                Last edited by ittlebun; 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

if its a usb mouse when you updated the bios it would set your usb keyboard and mouse back to default ps2 mouse/keyboard so you need to set them to usb again in bios or use spare ps2 mouse/keyboard
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Glad to see you got it without having to short anything!

Check what Wazza300 said above (Enable USB KB/Mouse), and if that does not help try disable/enable USB Storage Detect

Comment

I just flashed my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 to f12 BIOS and it made my machine work much faster and more stable! It solved an S3 sleep issue I had as well. I flashed from f5 to f12. THe windows updater you used is most likely the culprit. LSDMEASAP has a very informative guide that is great to follow step by step to get a clean unflawed flash. ONLY, ONLY, ONLY use Q-Flash program it is the most stable and easiest. I installed a floppy drive in my machine even though they are near obsolete solelyf or dealing with the udating and saving of BIOS and saving CMOS settings. Make sure you use clean formatted or new discs and unzip the package you download to then and be sure they have the correct executable version on the disc and the unpacking was sucessful and virus free-just in case. Otherwise you will junk your BIOS and have to do alot of work to fix it, if you can at all. Yoy may have to discover how to revert to your secondary BIOS in a worst case scenario.
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      PROTOFECT-
                      Graphics Machine
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ( f12 bios )
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core i7 Bloomfield 940 (Merom-CO step.) 2.93Ghz @ 3.68
                      CPU
                      settings w/ CPU Multi- x22/BClock- 166Mhz/ QPI Clock- x36
                      CPU Cooler- CM-Hyper 212 PLUS (Dual Fan)
                      Thermal Interface-Artic Silver MATRIX
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6GB Corsair XMS-3 (tri Channel 2Gb per) (9-9-9-23 @1328Mhz)
                      Sapphire Radeon HD6970 (2GB) (Cayman XT)@940Mhz-GPU/@1425Mhz-MEM/Cat. 11.7
                      Sapphire Radeon HD4870x2 (2GB) (Spartan R700) 2nd Option Backup
                      640 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Sys)
                      750 GB Seagate Barrracuda ES (Storage)
                      250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA (Utility)
                      1000 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Archive)
                      Antec 650 watt TP3 rev.2.0 Tri Power Trio PSU
                      LG Super Multi drive-Sec.disc (burns all but B-ray)
                      Antec 300 Case-MID Tower
                      OS-Windows 7 SP1- Build 7601
                      Case Cooling:
                      Antec Fans
                      (2) 120mm red led front intake fan-
                      (1) 120mm tri-light side(PCI-xpress-VGA) intake fan
                      (1) top 140mm red led exhaust fan
                      (1) 120mm tri-light rear exhast fan (all 3 speed)

Comment

Nice to hear your update has helped and went over problem free for you!

You were just posting this as informational right? I assume so since the reply before yours is a bit old

Comment

Yes LSD,
                          thats it. On another subject I was tinkering with BIOS options learning them after reading the manual and that german link that has the virtual BIOS (translated by google) I was progressively getting to try another Overclock and bump My RAM ( Corsair XMS 3) speed and timings to at tested max (or slightly lower for stability) manufacturer settings of 1,333 Mhz / 9-9-9-24/ @ 1.50v.

Well the matter- All of the sudden Windows explorer started acted extremely slow for an i7 (slow for a P3,actually) when bringing up the MY computer explorer wiindow. I thought it was BIOS problems or somehow a recent catalyst drive update to 10.5. (never had a problem with that before though) All apps, games and internet work fine so it wasn't that. I was stumped until I noticed when I finally got into My computer the DVD drive would intermittently be absent. In the BIOS it was fine and recognized, Device manager reported device was functioning, but it kept causing the problem. SO I assumed it was causing a problem in the vista registry or services due to a malfunction. THe drive opened and lit but upon testing a disc, no spin only clicks obviously not good. I swapped the auction bought refurb LG for another Super Multi Drive. (all-in-one) I never had problems with a year old drive ecspecially LG- usually good stuff. Love thier monitors. anyway loaded optimised defaults and chnged the boot order to my system drive HDD to boot first, and boom all was back to FF. Previous I got a 75 error code on Mainboard LED- detect and install all IDE devices...hmmm, good call Gigabyte BIOS it put me on the right track. anyway that was informative too. Sorry if it is off subject.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          PROTOFECT-
                          Graphics Machine
                          Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ( f12 bios )

Core i7 Bloomfield 940 (Merom-CO step.) 2.93Ghz @ 3.68
                          CPU
                          settings w/ CPU Multi- x22/BClock- 166Mhz/ QPI Clock- x36
                          CPU Cooler- CM-Hyper 212 PLUS (Dual Fan)
                          Thermal Interface-Artic Silver MATRIX
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6GB Corsair XMS-3 (tri Channel 2Gb per) (9-9-9-23 @1328Mhz)
                          Sapphire Radeon HD6970 (2GB) (Cayman XT)@940Mhz-GPU/@1425Mhz-MEM/Cat. 11.7
                          Sapphire Radeon HD4870x2 (2GB) (Spartan R700) 2nd Option Backup
                          640 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Sys)
                          750 GB Seagate Barrracuda ES (Storage)
                          250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA (Utility)
                          1000 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Archive)
                          Antec 650 watt TP3 rev.2.0 Tri Power Trio PSU
                          LG Super Multi drive-Sec.disc (burns all but B-ray)
                          Antec 300 Case-MID Tower
                          OS-Windows 7 SP1- Build 7601
                          Case Cooling:
                          Antec Fans
                          (2) 120mm red led front intake fan-
                          (1) 120mm tri-light side(PCI-xpress-VGA) intake fan
                          (1) top 140mm red led exhaust fan
                          (1) 120mm tri-light rear exhast fan (all 3 speed)

Comment

Nice to see you solved the CD/DVD issue too!

Comment

Working...
                            X