Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvell Raid 0 is not working!

What is the verdict?

GA-X58A-UDR3 : Marvell SATA3 ports NOT working well !?

GA-X58A*-UD3R/UD5/UD7... MARVELL NEEDS to be TOLD !!!

and test result done by Gigabyte:

my setup:
    mobo: p55a-ud6
    bios: f9d
    drives: 2 x VelociRaptor 600GB 6GB/s in RAID O
    RAID O controller: Intel or Marvell??????????

I have two VelociRaptor 600GB 6Gb/s (WD6000HLHX) connected to this Marvell stupid thing and set to RAID O and still have no luck to install Win7 64bit successfully! Without preloading the Marvell ahci driver as Gigabyte manual suggests (page 110), win7 installation would not recognize the drive!

After preloaded the Marvell ahci driver, still have problem when the Win 7 installation reaches "updating" stage. I have tried few times and made few adjustments (time/date in bios, formatted the VelociRaptor as prime drives, etc) but still got this stupid error code "0x80FE0000".

Planning to switch the whole thing to Intel SATA2 RAID 0! After reading the above posts, sounds like Intel SATA2 performs better than Marvell SATA3 in RAID 0 for 6gb/s drives (as Lsdmeasap suggested )
    Last edited by jojodancer; 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM.

Re: Marvell Raid 0 is not working!

Yes, Intel is currently the better way to go for sure, judging from all the tests I have seen.

If you want to boot from RAID on the Marvell ports you need to install on the Intel ports, then install the RAID Drivers for Marvell and then move the drives over. I have not done this myself yet, so I could be wrong, but that is how I have seen a few users report doing so.

*edit*

I did find this info while looking for your error code
    1. Make sure date and time is set correctly on the BIOS.
    2. Disconnect any external devices from your computer, except Keyboard and Mouse and start the installation.

Also be sure your media will install properly, meaning test it again now on another disk or setup/system. And also clearing your CMOS can help too.

Many things are the cause of this error of course, but since you are trying to install via a new method to a RAID array this is likely the problem and you would need to try what I suggested above, but for sure check/try these last few comments as well.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-30-2010, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I have thought the same way to switch to Marvell also. But as long as Intel performs better, so why bother

Win 7 installation through Intel SATA2 RAID 0 was super smooth. So it indicates there is nothing wrong with the drives or bios but the Marvell driver itself.

Comment

Ya, it isn't ideal to switch really, cause you know you will switch back :)

Nice to hear you are all installed and running smoothly! Ya, not sure why the marvell drivers fail like they do, at speeds or installing RAID?

I plan to test install RAID on Marvell soon myself and see if I can find the cause or a possible solution/method to get it to work

Comment

Great, would like to hear some test results as well.

btw, what is the best software to test the RAID 0 read/write speed?

Comment

I will post here once I do some testing, it may be a few weeks though.

Be sure you enable Write Back Cache, either in the Matrix program or in Device manager/properties/policies for your array/disk

I use HD Tach RW myself, but it is not free. I do think they have a free version though.

Or you could also use Crystal Disk Mark, or HD Tune Pro both of which are free and you can get them here

Comment

ok result from Crystal Disk Mark:

Seq
              Read 256.5 Mb/s
              Write 256.8 MB/s

Not bad for two VelociRaptor SATA3 in RAID 0 with Intel SATA2 controller huh?

Comment

Sounds pretty good!

Are those the new very latest ones they released? Sorry, haven't been keeping up with WD Drives for a while.

Comment

Yes, pre-relased VelociRaptor 600GB/s 10000rpm....and I've found a super deal for two

Have an impulse to get one more to expand the RAID 0....but I think they were all out at the moment.

Comment

Nice, so what kinda deal did you get?

I saw newegg had them on sale not long ago, but I still think SSD's are the way to go now so I didn't pay much attention

Comment

Just over $200 a piece after eBay buck and Bing cashback

Comment

Ahh well that aint bad at all!

You find the secret to instant cash back yet? I have got it once on ebay @ $400 purchase, but I know someone who got it about 10 times in a row from various places including ebay.

Comment

Happened once. Got my BING eBay cash back the next day.

Didn't know why, probably some bugs at BING!

Comment

It happens often, some people say from certain places/items/prices, others say it is random, but I do know it is not a glitch.

Just wish I knew the secret, instant cashback is nice! When I got it on the $400 purchase on ebay I received the cashback already before I even got the paypal email about the pruchase

Comment

How come current read/write speeds of the RAID O from Crystal Disk Mark are slower than two weeks ago?

Current read/write speeds are in low 200MB/s versus around 250MB/s two weeks ago?

Comment

Working...
                              X