X58A-UD3R boot problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD3R boot problems

I have tried searching for my problem, but have not found another example that is like mine. The problem was small at first, but gradually became worse over the course of a few weeks and now I can't get my computer to boot.

At first I couldn't boot the computer after it was shut down for a long time. I figured out that I had to hold down the power button until the motherboard's LED's turned off and then press the power button again to get a boot. The computer would boot fine after that. Standby mode also didn't work anymore. If I put the computer to sleep, I could not wake it up unless I held down the power button before pressing it again for a cold boot. Besides these, everything else worked perfectly fine and normal. Restarts from Windows were normal.

I had to do the power button thing every morning if I shut it down the night before. After a while, I started getting CMOS checksum errors. The computer would boot, reload a backup BIOS(?) and then boot again into Windows with no problems. This happened every time I turned off my computer and turned it back on with the power button.

Yesterday when I tried to start my computer, the system shut itself off during the Windows loading screen. And now the computer won't boot anymore. It would turn on for a split second with spinning fans, but immediately shut off.

I figured it was just a CMOS battery problem at first. I tried removing the graphics card. With no graphics card, the computer will stay on but doesn't do anything, and I still have to hold down the power button before it will boot. It doesn't boot into Windows (no Windows boot sounds) and it doesn't make any beeps, and the keyboard and mouse lights don't come on. I tried removing a stick of RAM and taking out the CMOS battery for a while to let it reset. My computer is still dead.

I did not overclock anything. I have ruled out the case's power button as the problem, because it works flawlessly when in Windows and I tried switching the power and reset buttons, which made no difference.

Specs:
    Intel i7-920 2.66 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Sapphire Radeon HD5850 graphics card
    G.Skill 6GB (3 x 2 GB) DDR3 1333 RAM (running at 1066)
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W power supply
    Intel x25-m G2 80GB SSD
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD

Re: X58A-UD3R boot problems

tried resetting/clearing the cmos? by removing battery or jumping mb pins near battery??
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I tried removing the battery for a few minutes. Just now I tried putting in a battery from my old computer. Nothing changed.

On second thought, removing the video card seems to make no difference. Sometimes it will start and stop instantaneously, and sometimes it will just start and not do anything except spin the fans. There's no video output. Also, the video card fan will spin at full speed. Kinda scary.
      Last edited by JerryS; 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

cant you reach the bios screen?? also what bios were you using?do you have another gpu to try??
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

There's no video at all. It either turns on and then instantly off, or it turns on with the video card fan going max speed, but nothing will show on the screen. Not even a signal.

Comment

do you have another gpu to try?? try with just one stick of ram in first white slot from cpu socket,keep the gpu installed as youll need it to see whats happening on screen,it would be good to try with another one just to eliminate gpu problems
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Wow, I think I am incredibly unlucky. I tried the video card from my other desktop. It didn't work. But when I plugged it back into the old computer, it wouldn't display any video. And the fans just get loud while nothing happens. I think the X58A-UD3R destroyed my old video card...

This is so stressful and now both of my good computers aren't working anymore. This sucks. What should I do? :(

Oh and also I tried using just 1 stick of RAM in the 1st slot and it did not work.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryS View Post
                Wow, I think I am incredibly unlucky. I tried the video card from my other desktop. It didn't work. But when I plugged it back into the old computer, it wouldn't display any video. And the fans just get loud while nothing happens. I think the X58A-UD3R destroyed my old video card...

This is so stressful and now both of my good computers aren't working anymore. This sucks. What should I do? :(

Oh and also I tried using just 1 stick of RAM in the 1st slot and it did not work.
                Could you try with another power supply ?
                Maybe one of the power supply cables is not fully connected?
                i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
                6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
                Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
                Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Originally posted by JureZ View Post
                  Could you try with another power supply ?
                  Maybe one of the power supply cables is not fully connected?
                  Unfortunately I don't have another power supply lying around. The power supply in my old computer is only 350w. I checked all the connections and everything is plugged in correctly.

My computer also ran perfectly fine in Windows even when it first had the startup problems. I played graphics intensive games and never had any problems except for booting up. I kinda doubt it is the power supply because of that, although I wish I had another one just to make sure.

Edit #3: Now my old video card works again. Still no luck on my comp.
                  Last edited by JerryS; 04-24-2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Please try clearing your CMOS Fully using the method I outline here in post #2, sometimes you need to do it this way or it does not work

After that, try starting the machine with NO Hard Drives connected, and with only one stick of memory in any white slot.

Comment

I just tried both. I held down the CMOS clear button over a minute two times, once when the power was unplugged, and once when it was plugged in. I disconnected all SATA devices. Nothing has changed. There's no video output at all, and it just keeps the GPU fan at full speed if I turn it on by holding down the power button and then pressing it again immediately after 4 seconds. It also happens with my other video card that is definitely working, so I don't think it's my graphics card.

Comment

it could be a faulty mb,lookslike something has failed as it was working before
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I suggested you try clearing the CMOS fully as per the link I posted, did you not do this yet?

If not, please do, as sometimes you must use the long method or it will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            I suggested you try clearing the CMOS fully as per the link I posted, did you not do this yet?

If not, please do, as sometimes you must use the long method or it will not work.
                            I tried both the CMOS clear button and removing the battery for a long time. I didn't find jumpers on my motherboard, and I didn't find it on the diagrams in the instruction manual. Are there jumpers on every motherboard?

I also removed the battery overnight. The instruction manual for my X58A-UD3R does not mention any jumpers in the section about clearing the CMOS.
                            Last edited by JerryS; 04-25-2010, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Well I was more concerned with the battery removal then a jumper, X58A boards dont have one anymore.

So, since you did remove the battery for a while and has no luck we can move past all this CMOS stuff.

Will it start with NO hard drives connected? How about with one stick of memory in any white slot?

Do you have it out of the case and off the motherboard tray now?

Have you tested your PSU with a tester, or jumped it to be sure it still runs? Do you have other hardware to test with, GFX (PCIE or PCI), memory, PSU, ect?

It very well could be the board died on you, just trying to think of things you can test before you decide to RMA

Comment

Working...
                              X