Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Help] GA-X58A-UD3R

Hi guys.

I have a very odd problem my computer is having very predictable reboots.

For example, first it used to work just fine. Installed Windows XP and then I tried to install the drivers that came with the mobo (The GA-x58a-ud3r), after I did that, it started restarting every time I went into windows (but never when i went into safe mode).

So just because I didnt want to deal with it, i just decided hey I know I will reformat this, since I have nothing on it anyways. So then I go to reformat, and I go through all these steps and it gets all the way to "installing devices" (the 2nd to last step) and there it just keeps restarting over and over and over again at that step.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty much at my wits end over this.

More info on the build:

Its a new build, however all the components seem to be working and running fine (even ran a memtest x86 on the ram, and it passed).

700 W OCZ Stealth X Stream Powersupply ( someone said this would be a problem, however if it worked for several hours (4+) before hand, how could it be a problem now all of the sudden?)

Processor : i7-930

Connected Devices: 1 IDE CD/DVD drive
    1 SATA 1 TB Hitachi HD

Other issues that I noticed:

After paying attention to it, I noticed that before it restarts there is first a green light that comes on by the cpu on the mobo, and then a red flashing led and then the red led just says constantly lit with the green led right next to it and then both of them turn off, and the computer restarts before the install ever finishes or gets past the installing devices part.

Please help guys, I would really love to be able to use my new hardware.

Re: [Help] GA-X58A-UD3R

try with just one stick of ram in the first white slot from cpu socket,also what code does it show on the mb l.e.d clock? at the bottom right corner??
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

If it is not a PS or cabling issue, I suspect a damaged / corrupted BIOS.

Can you restart and load optimized defaults ?

Which BIOS rev are you running?

If it is too old, maybe you could update, use the guide for the use of Q-FLASH

good luck, Jure Z.

PS: are the LED's the ones indicating the Power Levels?.
      that's what I imagine from your LED description.
      As the system starts, it indicates the increasing power consumption, until it decides to restart.
      Last edited by JureZ; 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: added PS:
      i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
      6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
      Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
      Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
        try with just one stick of ram in the first white slot from cpu socket,also what code does it show on the mb l.e.d clock? at the bottom right corner??
        I dont think its the ram, because it reads it all, in the memtest x86, and it said none of it was faulty, but I tried anyways.

I couldnt really find the code though, could you give me a picture of where it might be on the mobo? I ooked at the bottom right and there was nothing really there besides where i connected the hdd led and the power and reset things for my case..

Comment

the ud3a doesnt have one sorry,i thought you had a ud5a board,are you using any usb keyboard mice?? have you selected ide for your hdd's and dvd drives in bios??
          Last edited by warren300; 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM.
          Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
          Dual Boot
          Ati x1950 pro gpu
          1050w psu
          Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Originally posted by JureZ View Post
            If it is not a PS or cabling issue, I suspect a damaged / corrupted BIOS.

Can you restart and load optimized defaults ?

Which BIOS rev are you running?

If it is too old, maybe you could update, use the guide for the use of Q-FLASH

good luck, Jure Z.

PS: are the LED's the ones indicating the Power Levels?.
            that's what I imagine from your LED description.
            As the system starts, it indicates the increasing power consumption, until it decides to restart.

Even after loading optimized settings the same thing happens, and the leds are, hmm I will go take a picture of them, or see if I can find one on the internet. (will add these soon if i can manage to take them)

I was thinking of flashing the bios next, but just kinda afraid if i did it wrong, didnt want to brick the mobo. Plus I dunno, it seems very odd to me that for a little while it ran just fine, even installed windows and everything and the problems only seemed to start happening after i installed the drivers that came with the mobo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandu1986 View Post
              Even after loading optimized settings the same thing happens, and the leds are, hmm I will go take a picture of them, or see if I can find one on the internet. (will add these soon if i can manage to take them)

I was thinking of flashing the bios next, but just kinda afraid if i did it wrong, didnt want to brick the mobo. Plus I dunno, it seems very odd to me that for a little while it ran just fine, even installed windows and everything and the problems only seemed to start happening after i installed the drivers that came with the mobo.

in the Gigabyte site they show that your mobo GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview
              has a feature called:

OV-Alert LED
              "4 sets of OV-Alert LEDs indicate the overvoltage level of the CPU, Memory, North Bridge and South Bridge to prevent component damage."

If that is the case, maybe some BIOS parameter maybe set incorrectly.

About re-flashing the BIOS, do not worry too much. Sooner or later you will have to do it. Follow the guide, and you should have no problems.
              Which is your current BIOS? Does it support the i7 930?

Also, you may have a compatibility issue between drivers and BIOS, if you have just updated your MOBO drivers.

good luck, Jure Z.
              Last edited by JureZ; 04-17-2010, 12:20 PM.
              i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
              6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
              Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
              Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

the ud3a doesnt have one sorry,i thought you had a ud5a board,are you using any usb keyboard mice?? have you selected ide for your hadd's and dvd drives in bios??
                Yeah sorry for the confusion from the earlier thread, that was my own fault, thats why i made this thread to avoid it getting worse in that one.

Um by selected you mean does the bios realize that they are on ide? It seems to be at least, it says ide 4-0 is my dvd drive and for some reason ide like 1 or something is my hdd, even though its sata.

I have a ps2 keyboard but a usb mouse, however that usb mouse is not connected when i start it up.

Here though I have some pictures, that might help.

Sorry for the horrible horrible quality, my camera clearly can not take such close up pictures.

Slightly better quality can be found here:

and for a zoomed out version to see where on the board it is

Last edited by Pandu1986; 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the double post but I made a video about the issue, hopefully that can help shed some more light on the issue.

Let me know if you guys have any trouble viewing it.

Comment

This might be unrelated, but as it is similar to a problem I had with my system, you could check if your issue is caused by the same BIOS settings that I described in this thread:

I could install Windows 7 just fine, same as you did with XP, but after I installed more and more device drivers (ATI Catalyst, Intel Storage driver etc.) the PC began rebooting near the end of the windows start up sequence or latest a few seconds or minutes after windows was loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Duradas View Post
                      This might be unrelated, but as it is similar to a problem I had with my system, you could check if your issue is caused by the same BIOS settings that I described in this thread:

I could install Windows 7 just fine, same as you did with XP, but after I installed more and more device drivers (ATI Catalyst, Intel Storage driver etc.) the PC began rebooting near the end of the windows start up sequence or latest a few seconds or minutes after windows was loaded.

Somehow that worked, amazingly. I had to keep them both on disabled and it went through the install all the way. One question though, have you updated your bios and after you did were you able to leave them on their stock settings without having that problem?

Edit: for those of you who couldnt see the video, here is a link that should work : http://www.youtube.com/watch_private...P86GRLdadFBgIQ

I am thinking about flashing the bios just because leaving them like might hinder my overclocking aspirations later? (Is this true or would it not matter?)
                      Last edited by Pandu1986; 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

if i were you id use the latest beta bios it might let you run with c1e and c3/c6/c7 enabled if not just disable them in bios and wait for a bios fix to fix it heres the latest beta for your board

Dual Boot
                        Ati x1950 pro gpu
                        1050w psu
                        Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Originally posted by Pandu1986 View Post
                          One question though, have you updated your bios and after you did were you able to leave them on their stock settings without having that problem?

I am thinking about flashing the bios just because leaving them like might hinder my overclocking aspirations later? (Is this true or would it not matter?)
                          I updated to Bios F5 before installing anything, that was not the problem.

The different halt states are used to reduce frequency multiplier and voltage for each core inside the CPU when they are not in use. When two or more cores are in a halt state, the Turbo Boost function can raise the frequency multiplier for the remaining working cores above the default value until the TDP for the CPU is reached and this complicated process does seem to cause problems with numerous Core i-X systems. For full use of the Turbo Boost feature, C3 state has to be reached on the idle cores.

Overclocking the system as a whole should not be affected by problems with the halt states though. But of course, what should happen is often not what will happen, as these reboots should not happen either ;)

Comment

duradas have you tried the latest beta bios? f6b?? are you using c3 and c1e now?
                            Dual Boot
                            Ati x1950 pro gpu
                            1050w psu
                            Nzxt lexa case

Comment

duradas have you tried the latest beta bios? f6b?? are you using c3 and c1e now?
                              Still using bios F5.
                              My system rebooted because the default BIOS setting was c1e enabled, but c3,c6,c7 disabled. Both settings together enabled or disabled works for me.

But for a lot of systems the halt states do not work right, so disabling both is the safer option.

I got both enabled now and never had a restart anymore.
                              I had them disabled while I was installing windows and drivers, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X