Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Post :(

Well its just not my week.

Earlier today my mate accidently pushed against my bed which pushed the power plug to the pc and it lost power. Upon trying to switch it back on it refused to post.

I then tried to do a cmos reset with no luck (dont think its clearing cmos?) Not sure what the next step is really?

I can enter BIOS.... eventually... is it worth me reflashing? could the bios have got corrupted?

Ive turned the pc off, waited a min... turned psu off and removed lead and waited a min, then press and hold both clear cmos button and power button for a min... reconnect and try to power up...

After the 3rd time i removed the cmos battery for a min with the same results..

If i leave it to try and get past POST it will eventually say something like "disk boot error"

Any ideas?
    Last edited by SB420; 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM.

Re: Cant Post :(

They say 3rd time lucky but it seems it was 4th time lucky for me (clearing cmos) didnt clear the first 3 times....

Is there anything i can do so if it loses power i dont have to go through this, is that what EuP is for?

Comment

You should get a new spare cmos battery. Take that old battery out and install the new one. You can then wait 24 hours and test the old battery. This may be the problem.
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
      http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
      Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
      Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
      Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
      4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
      (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
      (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
      (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
      Mid size ATX case with show through panel
      2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
      Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
      Logitech G500 USB mouse
      Monitor: CMV937A
      7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
      Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Its a brand new build, is it likely to be the battery? Best places to get one? I.e. can you get cheap ones and "good" ones. Isnt a problem i want to face everytime theres a power cut etc

Comment

I would suggest just to take the battery out for a couple of hours and then try it. Be sure to load optimized defaults if you get in the bios/reboot/then you can load your saved bios.

Comment

Originally posted by SB420 View Post
            They say 3rd time lucky but it seems it was 4th time lucky for me (clearing cmos) didnt clear the first 3 times....

Is there anything i can do so if it loses power i dont have to go through this, is that what EuP is for?
            it was probably just the off chance that it corrupted bios,it takes a few presses sometimes to clr cmos and start afresh
            Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
            Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
            Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
            Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
            Dual Boot
            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
            Ati x1950 pro gpu
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            1050w psu
            Nzxt lexa case
            http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Was a rather long night in the end, and frustrating. Is that normal behaviour in a power cut? To have to clear cmos, or was it just unlucky?

Comment

just unlucky,on my old pc a power cut actually blew my psu,i had to get another, luckily it was only a 300w one so it was cheap,ive had power cuts with this pc n its booted straight up again without issue
                Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                Dual Boot
                1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                Ati x1950 pro gpu
                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                1050w psu
                Nzxt lexa case
                http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Sorted right? Sorry, unsure since I think I just replied to a very similar post SB420?

Comment

Im hoping so.... My flatmates turned on today and had lost date/time etc in BIOS, maybe we had defective BIOS batterys?

Comment

Ya, sounds like you guys might both need new CMOS batteries, or there is some power outages or issues with your lines you are not noticing?

Comment

Nah if get a power cut we know because the stereo flashes downstairs, however i have worked out why he had lost his settings on that particular day (cmos batteries may very well need replacing, and i did ask someone before but didnt get a reply, which are the best batteries i can buy? Assuming there are good/bad makes?)

The reason my flatmate had lost his settings, was because i had enabled EuP support and even though it had already been said in another thread, this caused all his settings to vanish. I then tested again, and had the same results today.

Whats weird though, is even though our systems are identical, having EuP support enabled on mine doesnt cause me to lose all my settings.

Comment

They are all about the same, and are cheap. Just be sure you get CR2302 and you should be good to go.

Of course brand name may be better, instead of generic, same with any type of battery. I buy Maxell's for $0.48 x5 all the time and never have problems with those, and they aren't the best brand like Energizer's or something like that.

About your last comment, you need to use the same BIOS on both so we can be sure that is not part of the issue. You could also just switch CMOS batteries between the PC's and see if that has any effect as well.

Do they both readout the same value in Everest? How long of a wait powered down are you testing, when you see his setting disappear with EuP enabled?

Comment

Everest? I dont use it... Same readout for what? Dont suppose your on about TDP?

On both machines if powered down overnight (as they are on throughout the day) his will lose settings with EuP enabled where as i wont.

Comment

Everest Ultimate, check it out >>

Look here and see what the value is >>

What did you mean about TDP?

Are you guys wanting to use EuP anyway? If not disable it, it's fine that way on his PC right?

Comment

Working...
                              X