No announcement yet.

GA-VM900M 1.0 : No "Virtualization Technology" for a processor that supports it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-VM900M 1.0 : No "Virtualization Technology" for a processor that supports it

I have Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor, spec code SLGTE, which actually does support virtualization () , but I'm facing a problem.

According to GA-VM900M manual (Page 33), Virtualization Technology menu should appear if the installed processor supports it, and it's default value is "Enabled"

But the "Virtualization Technology" option isn't appearing in BIOS menu, and worse, it's disabled, as stated by:

-Microsoft's Hardware Virtualization Detection Tool;
    -Windows Virtual PC;
    -Vmware

I've tried clearing CMOS, and even downgrading BIOS from F7A (which is BETA) to F6, but no success

So what could be the problem here?

P.S.: I've noticed "CPU EIST Function" (also supported by E7500) isn't available either....

Best regards

Re: GA-VM900M 1.0 : No "Virtualization Technology" for a processor that supports it

What page are you looking at in the BIOS? Are you sure that your CPU is the Spec code you think it is?

Have you tried the hotkey? On the MAIN page of the BIOS press Control + F1, the screen will flash, then go back into the section you expect to see the settings in.

Are you starting off with Optimized defaults in the BIOS, then save/apply/reboot BACK to BIOS before making changes? If not please do that now and see if it helps

Are you using x64 bit OS? You need to before you can enable virtualization

Comment

Re: GA-VM900M 1.0 : No "Virtualization Technology" for a processor that supports it

Hi and thank you for replying

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What page are you looking at in the BIOS?
      I'm looking for it at "Advanced BIOS Features", according to page 32 of User's manual

Though i've looked at all other screens as well

Are you sure that your CPU is the Spec code you think it is?
      Yes, it was what i've cared the most when choosing this processor, and I was already aware E7500 has models in which Virtualization isn't supported

See attachment E7500_Inside.png

That image is the processor actually installed in my GA-VM900M.You can read the spec code and check intel site (in the first post), where it's stated that processor is VT-x enabled

Even so, CPU EIST function - supported by E7500 regardless spec code - is also not available in BIOS, when it should be

Have you tried the hotkey? On the MAIN page of the BIOS press Control + F1, the screen will flash, then go back into the section you expect to see the settings in.
      Tried that also and check all screens: no "Virtualization Technology" menu

Are you starting off with Optimized defaults in the BIOS, then save/apply/reboot BACK to BIOS before making changes? If not please do that now and see if it helps
      Yes, i've done the above, even after and before clearing CMOS

Are you using x64 bit OS? You need to before you can enable virtualization
      Yes, I'm using Windows 7 x64,

A small update: i've tried to search for someone with the same problem but no one seems to be in the same scenario than me

Thank you

Best regards
      Attached Files

Comment

I am looking at the CPU support List and E7500 is not supported by any of the BIOSs.

Comment

Ahh thanks for looking Chike, that is probably the problem here.

Have you asked Gigabyte if they will be adding full support for that CPU and this board? If not please send in a report and ask them here
          GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Let us know what they say

Comment

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, guys.

Yeah, I had checked the CPU support list even before getting the processor, but i know there're cases where the processor is supported (clock speed, instructions set, etc...), but stated as unsupported in CPU support list

I've just asked Gigabyte (as suggested by Lsdmeasap) and will let you know what they'll say

But there's a significant update here:

I had an idea: once F7A is a beta BIOS, i decided to downgrade to F6 - the latest stable version available - but nothing really relevant happened

Back in time, my computer came loaded with F5 BIOS and Pentium Dual Core E2140.
            I've been updating the BIOS as new versions were released, so that i've ended up with F7A

But in the middle of all these tries to enable Virtualization, I vastly remembered it seems like "CPU EIST Function" was available in BIOS setup screen when i used F5 BIOS (though I wasn't sure)

While, with all this, I was already a bit upset whether Virtualization was really supported by my processor, i was sure "CPU EIST Function" was supported, as it is in all processors belonging to E7000 series

Think what?
            I went deeper, downgrading BIOS from F6 to F5

I noticed then new options (like Dual Display) and, for my surprise, "CPU EIST Function" and "Virtualization Technology" DID APPEAR, both set as "Enabled" by default.

I've made other adjustments to get optimal performance, then I've realized I was in the middle of another problem:

In POST screen, processor clock was shown as 1.60 GHZ (266x6).
            Ok, I've entered in BIOS setup screen, set CPU Multiplier to 11, saved settings, but the clock remained at 1.60 GHZ (266x6) during POST.
            Back to setup, i've realized the multiplier was still 6.

Walking through setup screen, in "PC Health Status", i saw a "FAIL" in Vcore (instead OK)

I ignored it, and started Windows in order to test.

It started normally.Then I ran a 3D game to see if performance of processor was really corresponding to 1.60 GHZ:
            The game ran much slower than it did normally, so that i realized CPU clock displayed during POST was right.

Tested with CPU-Z, and it showed clock as being really 1.60 GHZ

I know i couldn't continue using the processor this way, once it was running 50% below its stock speed, but before next downgrading, I had to make the test to see if hardware-assisted virtualization was supported.After all, it was enabled in the BIOS.

The software I used was Microsoft's HAV detection tool

For those who don't know how it works, it's a simple tool that shows you whether hardware-assisted virtualization (HAV) is supported by the system.

The 3 commonest messages this tool shows mean:

HAV not supported

HAV supported, but not enabled in BIOS

HAV supported by the system

I run the tool and it showed HAV WAS supported by the system.At this point, my processor was confirmed to support virtualization.

As a final test, i opened Microsoft Virtual PC, and no virtualization error popped up

Then, I downgraded to F4 BIOS, and first thing i've tested was if processor would run at 2.93GHZ after I've set multiplier to 11.

The default clock was 6.

I've set it to 11, saved settings and reset computer.
            During POST, CPU clock appeared as 2.93 GHZ (266x11).
            I went to setup again, to check EIST and Virtualization: they were there and enabled

Checked Vcore, it was still displaying "FAILED".All other informations in System Health screen were OK, including system and CPU temperatures

I went ahead, started Windows and tested performance: CPU was running really at 2.93 GHZ.

Final test:

I've run Microsoft's HAV Detection Tool and it showed what I wanted: HAV supported.Opened Microsoft Virtual PC and no virtualization errors.Checked CPU status with CPU-Z, both voltages and clocks were OK

Problem solved

I'll post a picture of CPU-Z screen later when I'm back to home (travelling right now) to show you all, and also to check whether all instructions are supported, like SSE2, SSSE3, and so on

Thus i'll be able to confirm E7500 works normally with GA-VM900M

Thank you

Best regards
            Last edited by alb3530; 04-16-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

As I had promissed, here is my CPU-Z stats.Click on the link to see full specs, including board name, and CPU features.

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

As you can see, everything's OK, even core voltage is correct

And here is a picture of the screen of my PC showing more details:

After all this, it was worth the effort to see everything working perfectly

Best regards

Comment

Do you have EIST and C1E enabled in BIOS?
                What is the VID of this processor (create a text report with CPU-Z, it will be the one before last in processor info).

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                  Do you have EIST and C1E enabled in BIOS?
                  What is the VID of this processor (create a text report with CPU-Z, it will be the one before last in processor info).
                  Hi, thank you for the reply

No, both functions were disabled by me (they are available in BIOS), cause i needed to get stock clock to make CPU-Z validation...

Well, incredibly, I'm at work right now, and right in front of me, is a Dell Inspiron with the same processor than mine (!)

I thought I could make the report using it, once the info you asked is supposed to be a fixed value, right?

Note: EIST is enabled in this machine, though after disabling EIST, the multiplier is still 6 (?)
                  And C1E is not available in BIOS.Anyway, i think it makes no difference for VID, once it's a fixed value, right? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Here is the information you want from CPU-Z text report:

Max VID 1.288 V

Attached is the full text report for Dell Inspiron

When I come back home I'll post the value for my PC, as well as the full text report

Thank you

Best regards
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by alb3530; 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

No Max VID is individual for each CPU, most are in the same range for each model but not always.

I am asking because in CPU vcore shows 1.072v. This looks like EIST and C1E do have some effect but the frequency remain the same. If vcore does not increase to it's needed balue under load that may be a problem. Put it under 100% load (Prime95/OCCT/Orthos) and se what vcore is then.
                    A total drop(vdrop + vdroop) of 0.5-1.0v under full load is normal, 0.2v is not.

I am just mentioning this because your CPU may not 100% properly with this board like you stated.

Comment

No Max VID is individual for each CPU, most are in the same range for each model but not always.
                      I expressed wrongly what I said earlier.I meant just it, fixed per CPU model

I said this cause if VID was fixed per model, I could post the VID of the processor that I've got from the Dell machine, where E7500 was not running neither in the same motherboard, nor with the same clock

If it wasn't fixed per model, I would have to wait untill I come back home, to post the report of my PC

I am asking because in CPU vcore shows 1.072v. This looks like EIST and C1E do have some effect but the frequency remain the same. If vcore does not increase to it's needed balue under load that may be a problem. Put it under 100% load (Prime95/OCCT/Orthos) and se what vcore is then.
                      A total drop(vdrop + vdroop) of 0.5-1.0v under full load is normal, 0.2v is not.
                      Will test and post here later when I come home

I am just mentioning this because your CPU may not 100% properly with this board like you stated.
                      Of course, I understand that, in therms of compatibility, it can't be 100%, cause if VCORE is displayed as "FAIL", then it's a compatibility issue, even though all other specifications are OK.

The "working normally in this board" i mentioned earlier means having the spected performance (like voltages, instructions, clock speed, etc), not considering compatibility issues that doesn't affect performance (like VCORE FAIL)

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by alb3530 View Post
                        I expressed wrongly what I said earlier.I meant just it, fixed per CPU model
                        It may vary even for the same model and steppings.

Originally posted by alb3530
                        The "working normally in this board" i mentioned earlier means having the spected performance (like voltages, instructions, clock speed, etc), not considering compatibility issues that doesn't affect performance (like VCORE FAIL)
                        A display in BIOS is a minor issue, not having enough vcore under full load may be a serious one.

Comment

Hi

It may vary even for the same model and steppings.
                          CPU-Z reported VID as 1.288 also in my machine, I've just checked this...

A display in BIOS is a minor issue, not having enough vcore under full load may be a serious one.
                          Well, take a look and make the calculations :)

Attached is the whole CPU-Z report, this time from my PC

Best regards
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well it looks too low, would expect 1.18v as a minimum, but might be anough for most uses.
                            You may try to run IBT(Intel Burn Test) with max stress level if it pass then u should be ok, GFlops expected 19+.

Comment

So how are you coming along with this?

Comment

Working...
                              X