GA-X58A-UD5 fails to post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD5 fails to post

Hello, I'm a complete noob avaing problem with my first home buit computer.
    I have:
    GA-X58A-UD5
    i7-980x with new Intel cooler
    12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 (6x2)
    OCZ Z-series 850W
    WD1002FAEX SATA3 1TB
    Generic SATA DVD writer
    Saphire HD3650
    Antec 900

I plugged everything in as indicated in the manual
    CPU + cooler + cpu_fan
    memory
    SATA2_0 to DVD drive + power
    SATA3_6 to hard drive + power
    from the antec900 front panel, F_audio, USB, 1394 and the 3 little pins to the f_panel
    power to the fans and speed settong to low
    ATX main connector and 2x4

when I power-up, it does not post !
    there is no video output and the mobo indicates code 68 or 6B or b8 or bB

can you help me please ? what I have not done or done wrong ?

Re: GA-X58A-UD5 fails to post

try clearing cmos at the rear blue illuminated switch,also try with just one stick of ram in first white slot from cpu socket,also do you have another psu to try with as some users had problems with ozc psu's
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

I tried playing around with the memory, same results
      I just tried clearing the cmos, same results
      I dont have another PSU

Comment

Well here are all the codes and what they mean

Sounds like you are stuck on b8 or bB (Intel MRC Code) a memory/multi problem. Can you post us an image of the LED on the board so we can see for sure?

Do you have your memory in the correct slots, the white ones? Did you try with only three sticks, in the white slots? Please try that and see if it posts, if it does not try one stick in any of the white slots by itself.

You will need to make some changes to run 12GB, and this could be the issue. Auto may be setting your uncore incorrectly causing the MRC hang

If none of that helps you are going to need to check your CPU socket for bent pins, does not sound so far like this is the problem though to me just sounds like a setting issue.

Comment

Here is a picture

The LEDs above the ATX power connector are green-yellow-green-yellow
          The LEDS next to the power switch are green-green-yellow-yellow-red-red

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

That's b8 (Intel MRC Code)

Did you have any luck with my suggestions above? Did you check your CPU socket for bent pins yet, if none of the above memory suggestions helped?

Comment

No luck ! unfortunately.

Yes, same result with 1, 3 or 6 memory sticks (I even switched them aroud).

As to checking for bent CPU pins, I have to get thermal compound first in order to reinstall. Is this step absolutely necessary ? Yes it is ! I will report tomorow if the electronics store in open on sunday.

What does Intel MRC code mean ? Does this mean that the memory is bad or incompatible ?
              I really want to make this work.

I have a good friend with a Dell i5-750, would it help if I borrowed 3 of his "plain jane" 2GB sticks ?

Thank you, or as we say here, merci beaucoup :-)

Comment

Yes, I would check the CPU Socket for sure!

And yes, I would go ahead and borrow your friends memory, because this can also be incompatible memory (With the current BIOS installed). If his memory works, flash the board using Qflash to the latest BIOS and then your memory will likely work fine. Also, if you can, have him test each one of your sticks in his board while you are there just to be sure they are all OK.

Intel MRC code is explained in the link above, it can mean a few things memory, PSU, or Video. Memory is why I asked you to also check the socket, a bent pin can cause memory to fail which is what I would check first.

Intel MRC Code
                This block of code has to be implemented in every Intel based platform BIOS. It initializes and configures the processor and runs bus training and adusting routines. It adjusts clockskews, read/write leveling, signal termination resistors and several chipset timings dynamically depending on the trace length, signal quality, timing and memory installed in the motherboard. If the MRC code hangs or the board cant pas the MRC code and resets it usually points towards memory problems and unsupported multiplier settings or a unsupported combination of multipliers.

b8 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above

Or
                68 - Video Init Read CMOS location 14h to find out type of video in use. Detect and Initialize Video Adapter. Test video memory, write sign-on message to screen. Setup shadow RAM - Enable shadow according to Setup.
                68 - PM init PM initialization (PSU)
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-03-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

You may also want to read this post I just came across with a OCZ 850W PSU being the culprit
                  A forum community dedicated to overclocking enthusiasts and testing the limits of computing. Come join the discussion about computing, builds, collections, displays, models, styles, scales, specifications, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Comment

It has been a few days sinse my last post.
                    Everything is solved. The whole system is up 100%.
                    I would like to thank all of you who helped me.

What happened ?
                    I took it to a local computer shop and they updated the BIOS to version F5 using a "spare" i7-920.
                    They put back the -980x and it worked.

Now I have to make sure F5 is in the spare BIOS. In case there is trouble ever again.
                    I cant beleive Gigabyte gave BAD information. Well, that's life.
                    Now, let's start folding.

Comment

im glad you finally fixed it
                      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                      Dual Boot
                      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                      Ati x1950 pro gpu
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      1050w psu
                      Nzxt lexa case
                      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Sorry I missed that when I was replying before. This seems to be a common issue due to older stock having old BIOSes.

Glad to see you were able to update your BIOS easily, hope they didn't charge you a arm and a leg to flash it!

Comment

Working...
                        X