Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6... Win 7 64 bit shows 6GB (2 Usable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6... Win 7 64 bit shows 6GB (2 Usable)

Brand new build. I've tried everything I (and the Internet) can think of. Common problem... title says it all.

Have reseated CPU 8 times (no bent pins)
    Have reseated all three sticks and tried to boot using one at a time (won't boot if stick is in 3_1)
    Have upgraded bios to FH
    Have reinstalled Win 7

MemTest completed individually... no problems
    CPU-Z shows 6GB... triple channel, correct CAS ratings
    Bios Memory Testing will only display 2096128k, which Win 7 seems to be going by
    7 7 7 20 showing on all three channels (A,B,C) in M.I.T. using XMP Profile

Anything else to try before I RMA?

Thanks

Intel i7920 CPU
    Noctua NH-U12p cooler
    Nvidia Geforce 9600GT video
    Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C7D G (3x2GB DDR3)
    Corsair 750HX PS
    Antec P183 case

Re: Problem with GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6... Win 7 64 bit shows 6GB (2 Usable)

wont boot in slot 3 and 1? will the modules boot in slot 5?? you should be able to boot from any white slot even with just one stick of ram if all is well,if all the modules boot in windows from slot 5 then you have two dead ram slots and i would rma the board,be carefull aswell when trying to boot from dead slot as it can blow your ram module and then youll have to rma your ram aswell...........you could try clearing cmos and loading optimized defaults,then see if you have all 6gb but id say you have two faulty ram slots
    Last edited by warren300; 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM.
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Hi Warren,

Actually it will boot with slot 1 and 3 but only shows 2GBs (from slot three I presume) No slot 5... just 4 on this board, if I'm reading you correctly. Ironically slot 4 became usable this evening so I'm up to 4GB now. Thanks for the "dead slot" tip. I'll remove that module. Slot 1 is definitely kaput! All modules won't boot at all in that slot.

Comment

Update:

Gigabyte is going to let me bring my board, CPU, RAM and Video card to their facilities tomorrow and have a tech look at it on the spot. Twenty mile drive... not bad. Better than shipping it out and waiting a week for service I say..

Anything I need to be aware of... or should ask? If the RAM slot is defective, will they likely give me a new board? I've never experienced this service route before...

Thanks

Comment

Let us know how you get along!

I am sure since you are going to them directly in person, they will test right then and give you a new board if it fails. If not I am sure they will tell you what they issue is. You may get a little tour as well, possibly even some schwag!

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I would also bring in your PSU so they can rule it out for you as well.

Sounds to me like a damaged trace, or a bent pin that you may not be able to see? Either way they will let you know for sure

Comment

So did you get to go to Gigabyte yet? Just checking in

Comment

Yeah... did it yesterday.

Facilities were nice... good people all around. Talked with a tech named Leo. He tested my CPU, memory and finally the MB. He confirmed the RAM slot issue and they agreed to a replacement. At first they offered a 1.6 board that was on a desk, then a 1.7 that was being worked with by another tech. I told them I'd rather have the 1.7 revision as long as it was working properly. They sent me to the lobby to wait. About a half hour later, a man comes out with a brand new UD3R 1.7 with the latest bios! I was really impressed. Just to make sure, I asked Leo if he would shelf test it with my components (a little brazen I know ) . He agreed... great guy! Everything booted properly and my 6GB showed correctly.

Gigabyte demonstrated excellent customer service. Since the board was 60 days old and not returnable to Newegg, they could've sent me home with anything they wanted. Instead, because my board was obviously DOA from the start, they took the high road and gave me a new one. This is probably an isolated case. I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone. Still, it was a good experience and my system is running perfectly now. Sorry, no hat, pins or free samples!

Comment

Revision 1.7 eh, you will be the first to own one, maybe the only one if they never release it. Ya, you got lucky being so close, normally they would likely send you out a replacement of the same or older version, that may or may not be used, and often not in a retail package.

Sounds like it was definitely worth your time. No schwag eh, surprising.

Did they tell you what changes were made between 1.6 and 1.7?

Nice to see you have a running board though now!

Comment

Thanks... me too,

I asked about the version differences. Leo said it mainly had to do with upgraded plastic trim... RAM slots (my issue), PCI-E, SATA, etc... If you don't have slot issues where components are joining the MB, then the differences are probably non-existent.

I do notice that boot time with this new MB is a little longer than my original. Not bad, but definitely noticeable.

Comment

Ahh, sounds more aesthetic then. Boot time may just be the BIOS, is it the latest one offered here, or that you were using before? Did you have Quick boot enabled before and not now?

Comment

The board came with the FI (3/12/10) bios. I'm not using Quickboot. I use the computer as a DAW and a lot of those programs run in the background and cause latency issues. I'll probably try some light overclocking in the next few days. Just glad to have a working system for now.

Comment

try disabling c1e and eist in advance cpu features,and disable easytune to help or eliminate latency,also update to latest lan and chipset drivers
                        Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                        Dual Boot
                        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                        Ati x1950 pro gpu
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        1050w psu
                        Nzxt lexa case
                        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thanks Warren... I'll try that.

Comment

I see they have this listed on the main page now, so they must be shipping them out. You are the first I have seen with one, got them way ahead of everyone else I'm sure.

If you need to know how to disable Easytune, really disable from startup (Program and services), let me know

Were you using Quick boot before though? Are you using the same hard drive install type (IDE/AHCI/RAID) as before? Just trying to find why you feel it is slower

If AHCI or RAID, is it 1.20E AHCI BIOS on that screen or lower? If lower, and you want, I can make you a different BIOS with the new AHCI ROM in it. They should be using it though as they are now in most all BIOS, just not sure about that one since it is a newer model they may have the older ones in for troubleshooting/testing still.

Disable Spread Spectrum while I am thinking about your BIOS, it should be in the advanced CPU page I think. Look around in the MIT Section, it's in one of the top "Click to Enter" sections, if you do not see it go back to the MAIN page of the BIOS and click control + F1, then go back in MIT and look around again. I think it is disabled by default, but best to check to be sure

Comment

Working...
                            X