Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Post - First Build - Advice Needed - PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post - First Build - Advice Needed - PLEASE HELP!

First, let me say thanks in advance for any and all help getting into this! I'm sure there are many things I do not know yet, but I have a strong desire to learn and tinker as much as possible.

Not knowing whether I've included all of the necessary info in my Sig (confused as to what's needed/expected), I'll try to be as concise as possible.

Basically, I just put together a system using the components I'll list below for the purpose of learning more about overclocking, etc. I do not game on my PC, but do edit music and movies.

• Thermaltake Mozart TX
    • Gigabyte EP45-UD3P *The board has Rev 1.6 printed on it, The CD I received with it says Rev. 1.1 so I downloaded the Chipset drivers (Rev 1.6) from the site...DEL for BIOS
    • Intel QX6700 Extreme (2.66Ghz)
    • 6GB (have 8, but one wont fit) OCZ DDR2-9200 (link to RAM specs below)
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition OCZ Technology

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Re: First Post - First Build - Advice Needed - PLEASE HELP!

Start with this post, post the screen capures requested in step 4 and we'll see how can we assist you.

Additional items you may need include eye drops for sore red eyes and lots of strong black coffe, but I'm sure you'll make it thtough just fine.

Just out of curiousity, why choose QX6700?

Comment

Thanks Chike! Looks like you keep pretty busy around here. :)
      I'll get the requested information together this evening when I get home from work and will post.
      Long story on why I chose that processor, but I'll try to keep it short.

Had an extra older machine...donated it to work and they said I could order some stuff for myself as a trade. I thought I'd upgrade the mobo, chip and RAM in my Dell (E6320 Duo Core) to something at least Quad Core. Turns out it was a BTX mobo with a 775 Socket and I went down an exhausting road trying to find compatible parts for BTX case...finally I just scrapped the idea of using it, got a new (discontinued and HUGE) case and a Gigabyte UD3P, but had already bought the other components. :(

Is the QX6700 a bad processor?

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
      Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
      Evga GeForce GTX 580
      Ultra X4 1600W PSU
      Lite On BD Burner
      ASUS CD/DVDRW
      Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
      Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
      Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
      Logitech G19 Keyboard
      Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Jerm1970 View Post
        Is the QX6700 a bad processor?
        Not bad, just a bit old and I wonder how it compare to Q9550 which is somewhat cheaper and great OCer. I guess we shall see soon.

Comment

Here are the screens from Step#4. I'm not sure why the RAM isnt recognized as 9200 either. They were all new in the pack and labeled accordingly. DIMM #1 isn't isn't populated with any, just DIMM 2,3,4 with 2GB modules each.
          I'm sure things aren't set properly as well. Thanks for your time and any suggestions to get me rollin.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
          Evga GeForce GTX 580
          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
          Lite On BD Burner
          ASUS CD/DVDRW
          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
          Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
          Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
          Logitech G19 Keyboard
          Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

I'm not sure why the RAM isnt recognized as 9200 either.
            This is very simple. Look at the SPD window and you will see that it is program only high as 400MHz(DDR-800, PC-6400) the part number indicates it is PC-9200.
            At least part of the reason for this is not complient with the JEDEC standard.
            Sometimes EPP is programed with profiles that do not match the standards, but this may also cause problems.

Originally posted by Jerm1970
            DIMM #1 isn't isn't populated with any, just DIMM 2,3,4 with 2GB modules each.
            I am still not sure how operate at such configuration, dual, single, or mixed. Do you see anyhing like Flex mode during post?

I'm sure things aren't set properly as well.
            I can see you already OCed with 400MHz FSB(rated 1600).
            Though I am not sure about unsafe values for 65nm processors, PLL is best set low as possible (not below default though).
            VTT(CPU Termination) is OK but lower may be possible, the same is with Vcore which is set to it's max(specified by Intel).
            Follow the suggestions in the post I linked to in post #2 for a manual stock settings. Post full settings and we will continue from there.

Comment

I do in fact see mention of Flex Mode in at post, but haven't noticed a setting relating to it in the BIOS. All 3 modules are the same, I just couldn't fit one in channel one because of the cooler. Should I try removing the module in channel three or is it because of settings that it doesn't register properly? Its supposed to be compatible with the board though.

I'll refer to the settings in Post#2 and get back to you.

Thx Chike!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
              Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
              Evga GeForce GTX 580
              Ultra X4 1600W PSU
              Lite On BD Burner
              ASUS CD/DVDRW
              Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
              Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
              Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
              Logitech G19 Keyboard
              Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Flex mode, according to the manual, is engaged when mixing different types or sizes.
                I don't realy know what it means, just guess that in your case 2GB operate in single-channel mode and the other 4GB as dual channel.

I realized the cooler is the reason for using 3 sticks, is it possible to install it sideways, not only physically, but also taking air flow in consideration?

Comment

Chike

I was considering removing one of the modules to see if that made any difference until I can exchange 2 modules for the same speed without the heatsink. Not sure there's any way to re-orient the cooler and still have efficient airflow though.

I copied the template and all of my settings in their current state to it. I'm sure there's plenty not set correctly. My goal would just be to get the CPU and RAM overclocked to the fastest yet most stable configuration.

I really appreciate any and all guidance to help me push this puppy a bit.
                  Thanks again!

Here are my current settings. Anything I could not find I indicated with a question mark. Most everything else is set on Auto unless specifically noted in the original template, then I changed my [Auto] to match.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU = Intel QX6700 Extreme
                  Motherboard = Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev.1.6
                  BIOS Version = 1.6FD DEL.
                  Ram = OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC 4GB - OCZ2RPR11504GK

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                  Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                  Evga GeForce GTX 580
                  Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                  Lite On BD Burner
                  ASUS CD/DVDRW
                  Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                  Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                  Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                  Logitech G19 Keyboard
                  Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

I was considering removing one of the modules to see if that made any difference until I can exchange 2 modules for the same speed without the heatsink. Not sure there's any way to re-orient the cooler and still have efficient airflow though.
                    Mixing different memory models may also cause some issues, take that into concideration.
                    It may be a good idea to use only 2 modules in slots 2 & 4 for the time being.

I copied the template and all of my settings in their current state to it. I'm sure there's plenty not set correctly.
                    You can delete the XMP entry, it is only available when the memory SPD contains EPP/XMP profile(s).
                    You should have driving strength settings for each channel under Advanced Clock Control(highlite and press enter).
                    Some settings are "<<< Leave" please correct them to auto next time you post your settings.
                    Try pressing Alt+F1 in main BIOS screen, if CPU Reference2 is still unavailable, delete it's entry too.

My goal would just be to get the CPU and RAM overclocked to the fastest yet most stable configuration.
                    This may be anywhere from 3.2GHz to 3.8-4GHz, I have not seen(or forgot I have) QX OCed before, we'll see as you make progress.

Set manually the settings for stock settings as suggested in this post,
                    Run IBT(IntelBurnTest) 5-10 runs at max stress level.
                    Prime95 blend torture for some 6-8 hours.
                    Monitor core temps with RealTemp or CoreTemp, both record min/max temps.
                    SuperPi, memory benchmark, 3D/Graphics benchmark, etc.
                    Post benchmarks and IBT results(GFlops), they'll be used to see progress.

Comment

Removed the memory in Channel 3 so it's now 2x2GB modules PC9200. I wasn't able to find an entry for Fine CPU Clock Ratio or CPU Reference 2. Also suggested DRAM voltages were not available in my drop down. .900 is suggested, but I could only choose between .890 or .910. Also the DRAM voltage spec on my RAM says 2.2V 2.25ECP(?) so I set that at 2.2.

Should I get the applications you mention and test with these settings or is there anything else I should change before starting stress tests, etc?

Thanks!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                      Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                      Evga GeForce GTX 580
                      Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                      Lite On BD Burner
                      ASUS CD/DVDRW
                      Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                      Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                      Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                      Logitech G19 Keyboard
                      Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Removed the memory in Channel 3 so it's now 2x2GB modules PC9200. I wasn't able to find an entry for Fine CPU Clock Ratio or CPU Reference 2. Also suggested DRAM voltages were not available in my drop down. .900 is suggested, but I could only choose between .890 or .910. Also the DRAM voltage spec on my RAM says 2.2V 2.25ECP(?) so I set that at 2.2.
                        EVP = Extended Voltage Protection, OCZ permit you to set voltage high as 2.25v without voiding your warrenty.

The 2.2v is for DDR-1150. Currently this is impossible, at least 287MHz FSB is required, but you can try and set memory multiplier to 4.00A and 5-5-5-15 standard timings,for DDR-1066, this may require a bit higher MCH Core 1.15-1.24v, only increase it if needed.

Should I get the applications you mention and test with these settings or is there anything else I should change before starting stress tests, etc?
                        All reference voltages and DRAM termination should be set to auto for now. These settings do not stand for tehmselves and depand on other settings, auto should set them correctly for a stock and minor OC settings.
                        Last edited by Chike; 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                          EVP = Extended Voltage Protection, OCZ permit you to set voltage high as 2.25v without voiding your warrenty.

The 2.2v is for DDR-1150. Currently this is impossible, at least 287MHz FSB is required, but you can try and set memory multiplier to 4.00A and 5-5-5-15 standard timings,for DDR-1066, this may require a bit higher MCH Core 1.15-1.24v, only increase it if needed.

All reference voltages and DRAM termination should be set to auto for now. These settings do not stand for tehmselves and depand on other settings, auto should set them correctly for a stock and minor OC settings.
                          Gotcha. Thanks for explaining the EVP.
                          I did leave the 2.2v intact and set the memory multiplier to 4.00A with 5-5-5-15. MCH Core left at 1.200v.
                          Reset reference voltages amd DRAM termination back to [Auto]

Should I proceed with the suggested tests with these settings?

Thanks so much for your time, Chike!
                          I definitely owe ya for all your help throughout this process!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                          Evga GeForce GTX 580
                          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                          Lite On BD Burner
                          ASUS CD/DVDRW
                          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                          Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                          Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                          Logitech G19 Keyboard
                          Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Yes, withe the last settings you have posted and references/DRAM Termination auto you are good to go.
                            Just one thing, is BIOS default vcore 1.35v? CoreTemp reported 1.1625v. Make a text dump with CPU-Z, and see what's there.

Not sure about safe temps for this psocessor so do not exceed 70c core temps for now. Unlikely you'd get even near them at stock settings, but never hurt to be caucious.

Comment

Well, between my last post and yours the machine BSOD 2x while Idle so I reverted the DRAM voltage back to 1.8v and the DRAM Termination back to [Auto].

Checked the BIOS and 'Normal' for VCore does show 1.35000v. I wasn't sure how to do a text dump from CPU-Z so here's the screenshot reporting a different value. What is correct?

Once overclocked, do you feel this machine should run at least 3.6-4.0Ghz with a 1066FSB? I'm concerned I wasted $ on the 9200 RAM, but maybe I just don't quite understand how all the different settings combine to achieve good overclocking speeds.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                              Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                              Evga GeForce GTX 580
                              Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                              Lite On BD Burner
                              ASUS CD/DVDRW
                              Klipsch Pro Media 5.1