GA-P55-UD3R - ram compatibility and bios question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55-UD3R - ram compatibility and bios question

Hi, I'm looking to start a new build tommorrow and I just want to make sure parts are compatible before buying. I'd like to pick up everything at microcenter if possible so i'm a bit limited in selection.

So far i'm pretty much decided on the P55-UD3R and i7-860, problem is I can't find any ram modules on the support list. I was looking at these 2 kits and I think they'll work but I just want to make sure

1. OCZ 4GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) Gold Low Voltage CL8 Memory Kit
    part#OCZ3G1600LV4GK
    2. Patriot G Series 'Sector 5' edition 4GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 Memory Kit
    part#PGV34G1600ELK

Will either of these work? If so which is the better choice? I read that the OCZs need to have voltage and timings tweaked in order to run at 1600, not sure about Patriot.

Next question I have is regarding the bios versions. Is there a chance that if I buy that board and cpu I will have issues if it is a very early bios revision? I read somewhere (I think newegg) this board had problems with Win 7 install on a early revision.

Thanks.

Re: GA-P55-UD3R - ram compatibility and bios question

I use those same Patriot modules with the UD3R. They are superb and work flawlessly. No need to tweak, although you should have no probs tightening up the timings a little if you want to. Just make sure to test for stability. I seem to remember booting and running a couple of runs of Super Pi at 1700Mhz using 7-7-7-21 timings, 1.65V.

EDIT! Hold up, on a second look at the link I just realized they are not the exact same modules as mine. I have the Viper II Sector 5 series, which have tighter timings. You linked to the G series.

Mine are the same as these: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=39264

I doubt you'll have issues with the ones you linked to. As far as I know, they were developed to be used with the P55 chipset.

BIOS:

My board came with F3 BIOS, I think. No issues with the install of W7. I'm now using F5b which are working very well for me, even better than F5, which for some reason didn't allow me to dynamically overclock at all. I have no clue why that is, as I was using exactly the same settings.
    Last edited by Mitsuru; 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Re: GA-P55-UD3R - ram compatibility and bios question

Thanks, i'm heading out to purchase later today.

Comment

Working...
      X