Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3L memory issues

New here...

2 weeks ago I purchased new parts from newegg to upgrade and replace a bad/failing 3 year old MSI P6N Motherboard.

I have had problems with booting and stability ever sense.

Here is what I already had:
    ATI 4980
    Intel E6600
    Crucial Ballistix (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Here is what is now new:
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    Antec TruePower TP-750 750W
    Crucial Ballistix (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

I left out the peripherals as I am not sure if that applies/matters.

Note that I am not really trying to overclock, I just would love a stable system something I haven't had in months.

Now onto my issue...

With the older 2x1GB Crucial memory, running at auto settings, everything runs fine, even in dual channel mode.

With the new 2x2GB Crucial memory, which is the same brand (crucial), type (ballistix) and settings (2V, 4-4-4-12), the computer will not even post. I reboots repeatedly with continuous short beeps (manual says beep code is power error). This occurs no matter what slots I use: 1&3 or 2&4.

If I remove 1 of the modules, and use any of the 4 slots with just the one stick, everything works fine and I can run the default/auto bios settings, load windows 7, run memtest and even windows 7 memory test without any errors.

My problems occur with both modules installed. But both work individually just fine.

Also weird is that the older modules (2x1GB) work in dual channel without issue.

I thought maybe it was a power supply issue, based on the beep codes, so I put back in my old 500W Cosair power supply but nothing changed.

I have also tried some OCZ memory I borrowed from a friend. The OCZ memory is model OCZ2G8004GK, it is also DDR2 2x2GB memory at 800MHz, basically the same as my new Crucial memory just a different brand and slightly lower timings/latency. I get the same problem if I have both modules installed, no matter which slots I put them in, the system just beeps and resets, repeatedly.

But... If I just have 1 module installed, the system will post just fine. But Windows will crash when trying to startup. I get a memory managment BSOD and can't get into windows. I tried safe mode so I could run memory diagnostics that come with WIndows 7, but even safe mode will crash with the OCZ memory installed.

The OCZ memory works just fine in my friends motherboard, but he has a completely different brand and chipset.

So here I am, with auto bios memory settings, the old Crucial memory works without issue, the new crucial memory won't post in dual channel mode but works fine with only 1 installed. Lastly, the OCZ memory won't post in dual channel mode, but with 1 installed windows 7 is very unstable and typically won't even finish booting with a BSOD.

To get my new (2x2GB) crucial memory to work, here is what I have tried based on reading threads on here and other sites:
    Lower the timings instead of using auto (5-5-5-15) and change the voltage from auto to 2.0V = system will post and load windows but is slightly unstable and freezes when running both memtest or windows 7 memory diagnostics.

I have also disabled the legacy USB support in the Bios as i read several posts suggesting that this may cause issues.

I have also tried to mess (use more voltage or slower timings) with the more advanced settings like the MCH Voltage or Refresh to Act Delay. But these haven't helped either.

I am wondering if I need to RMA the crucial memory and get GSkill or Mushkin which seems from the treads to have a higher potential for success.

Again, I am not trying to overclock, just have a stable system and would love to have all 6GB of Crucial memory (considering it is all rated the same) but minimally would like to get the new 2x2GB working.

Lastly, the board came with F7 bios loaded, on Jan 18th a new bios (F9) came out with this description: "Enhanced memory compatibilities". Sadly nothing changed for me after flashing with this new version. Everything that worked before still works (single 2GB Crucial or 2x1GB crucial) and everything didn't work on F7 still doesn't work (2x2GB crucial or OCZ memory).

Any thoughts, new settings or other recommendations from the crowd of experts?

Thanks so much for your help.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3L memory issues

Please follow steps 1-4 in this post to provide some additional information.
    Meanwhile you can try the following.
    Load BIOS optimized defaults, save and reboot, enter MIT and maje the following changes:
    Code:
    Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Standard]

MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [1.2]  <<< try up to 1.24v if not enough
    Additional tweaking will be required to set the memory for optimal performance.

Comment

Are both of your Ballistix memory kits (2x2GB and 2x1GB) the newer 2.0 volt versions.
      The older Ballistix memory kits are rated at 2.2 volts.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The 2x1GB kit is part number:
        BL2KIT12864AA804

And although Crucial doesn't list it any more, I looked up my old order on newegg, and you are right,
        Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB &#40;2 x 1GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 &#40;PC2 6400&#41; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Desktop Memory

This memory is 2.2V and my newer 2x2GB kit is 2V.

So they probably won't run together, giving me 6GB.

Still seems puzzling to me that the older memory, in auto settings works fine whereas both the OCZ and newer crucial don't work in auto or even with the basic tweaking I knew how to do.

Working on getting the full bios setting list...

Comment

Chike -I have tried to clear CMOS, the with just 1 module installed, go into bios and load optimized settings and change voltage from auto to 2V as well as your suggestion: MCH Core - 1.100V --> 1.200V

Then save, reboot, eveything works, then turn off, add second module and same issue happens, resets over and over with the short beeps.

Just for reference, not sure if helps, while I go get my full bios settings for the memory in the standard format to help you diagnose my issues... but if I put in just the 1 stick of the new 2GB crucial memory in slot 1, it posts just fine, with pretty much any settings (all auto, optimized or fail safe settings or recommended settings i have seen here and other places).

But no matter which ones I use, 2 sticks won't work.

Next post will be the form filled out with all my settings.

Comment

Try the one stick theat work, alone in slot 3, then alone in slot 4.

Comment

Link to my specific memory and specs:

Here is my bios template information, note that this is what i have last tried, I have tried other settings (DRAM voltage from 1.8V to 2.2V, timing control from 444-12 to 666-18 and the tRFC up to 65)

Motherboard: Gigabyte
              Model: GA-EP45-UD3L
              Rev#: 1.0
              Bios Version: F9
              Cpu: Intel
              Model: E6600
              Ram Brand Model/Part#, Link to your ram's specs:
              Crucial, Model #BL2KIT25664AA80A, BL2KIT25664AA80A - 4GB kit (2GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR2 PC2-6400 from Crucial.com
              Power Supply Unit: Brand, Model#, Wattage:
              Brand Antec, Model #TP-750, 750Watts

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
              Robust Graphics Booster -------------- : [Auto]
              CPU Clock Ratio ---------------------- : [9]
              Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------------- : [0.0] < ignore if not available
              CPU Frequency ---------------------: 2.4Ghz (266 x 9)

Clock Chip Control
              Standard Clock Control
              CPU Host Clock Control --------------- : [Enabled]
              CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) --------------: [266]
              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---------- : 100

C.I.A.2 ------------------------------ : [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control ------- [Press Enter]
              CPU Clock Drive ---------------------- : <<< 800
              PCI Express Clock Drive -------------- : <<< 900
              CPU Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : <<<
              MCH Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : <<<

DRAM Performance Control
              Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Standard]
              Extreme Memory Profile --- (X.M.P.) --- : [Disabled]
              (G)MCH Frequency Latch ---------------- : [266]
              System Memory Multiplier -------------- : [Auto]
              Memory Frequency (Mhz) ---------------- : [800]
              DRAM Timing Selectable ---------------- : [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
              CAS Latency Time -------- ?? ---------- : [5]
              tRCD ------------------- ?? ---------- : [5]
              tRP --------------------- ?? ---------- : [5]
              tRAS ------------------- ?? ---------- : [15]

Advanced Timing Control
              tRRD ------------------- ?? ---------- : [4]
              tWTR ------------------- ?? ---------- : [4]
              tWR --------------------- ?? ---------- : [6]
              tRFC ------------------- ?? ---------- : [52]
              tRTP ------------------- ?? ---------- : [4]
              Command Rate (CMD) -------------------- : [Auto] <--- Auto or 0 is OK

Driving Strength Profiles
              Driving Strength --------- : Press Enter

Channel A
              Static tRead Value --------------------- : [Auto]
              tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps

Channel B
              Static tRead Value --------------------- : [Auto]
              tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
              Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
              CPU
              Voltage Types------------ Normal -------- Current -----
              Load-Line Calibration ----------------- : [Disabled]
              CPU Vcore --------------- 1.????? ---- : [Auto]
              CPU Termination --------- 1.200V* ----- : [Auto]
              CPU PLL ----------------- 1.500V* ----- : [Auto]
              CPU Reference ----------- 0.755V* ----- : [Auto]
              CPU Reference2 ---------- 0.800V* ----- : [Auto]

MCH/ICH
              MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [1.200V]
              MCH Reference ----------- 0.800V ------- : [Auto]
              MCH/DRAM Ref ------------ 0.900V ------ : [Auto]
              ICH I/O ----------------- 1.500V ------- : [Auto]
              ICH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [Auto]
              DRAM
              DRAM Voltage ------------ 1.800V ------- : [2.0V]
              DRAM Termination -------- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]
              Channel A Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]
              Channel B Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]

Advanced Settings
              Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ------------------ : [Disabled]
              No-Execute Memory Protect -------------- : [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ---------------- : [Disabled]
              C2/C2E State Support ------------------- : [Disabled]
              x C4/C4E State Support ----------------- : [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ------------ : [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function --------------------- : [Disabled]
              Virtualization Technology -------------- : [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
              Legacy USB Storage Detect ------------- : [Disabled] <--- set to Disabled when overclocking (this must be enabled to flash or boot from a USB drive)

Comment

This memory is 2.2V and my newer 2x2GB kit is 2V.

So they probably won't run together, giving me 6GB.

Still seems puzzling to me that the older memory, in auto settings works fine whereas both the OCZ and newer crucial don't work in auto or even with the basic tweaking I knew how to do.
                You're asking for stability issues when you mix memory modules that have different chips and/or ratings.

The older memory is a 2x1GB kit. Both of the other kits are 2x2GB.

Chike is leading you in the right direction in helping you solve the problem.
                Does your mobo offer MCH Core settings of 0.95, 1.15, or other incremental changes between 1.10 and 1.20?
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Chike - In response to your request to start with a module in slot 1 then 1) load optimal, 2) save and reboot 3) Change Performance enhance to standard and MCH Core from 1.1V to 1.2V, 4) save and turn off, 5) install second module in slot 3 and power up

I have done that and the result is the same, continous reboots/resets and never posts or gives me any display.

As soon as I remove the second module from slot 3 it posts just fine.

Next you recommended that I try to if a module worked, by itself in slots 3 and then by itself in slot 4. One of the modules does work, by itself in slots 3 and 4, but the other one doesn't work in slot 2 or 4, same symptoms as when both are installed... Makes me wonder if that module is just alittle off or something.

I have given the modules to my friend whom I borrowed the OCZ memory from and he is going to try my modules in his system tomorrow.

I wonder if the module that works in slot 1 and 3 but not in 2 or 4 (by itself) is the culprit and is bad or atleast not as good as the other one that works fine in all 4 slots when installed by itself.

Thanks for your help and we will see what my friend says and maybe I will need to RMA the crucial memory but not to get different memory but because one of the modules isn't working.

Comment

Working...
                  X