Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High pitched whining sound from P55 UD3R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched whining sound from P55 UD3R?

When I first purchased the P55 UD3R I noticed a horrible, constant whining sound. I'm not sure if the sound is coming from the CPU, the CPU cooler (unfortunately I'm still using the stock cooler until I can afford to upgrade) or the board itself. The sound comes from near the CPU area.

It's getting less frequent now, it only usually happens after I start my PC for the first time each day, then disappears after a while. It really is irritating though. I tried sticking a pencil in the fan blades which stopped the fan spinning for a few seconds, but the sound is still there. Could this be the board? Dodgy caps? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Re: High pitched whining sound from P55 UD3R?

Just realized I haven't posted any specs:

P55 UD3R (BIOS F5b)
    Core i5 750 (with minor OC due to garbage stock cooler)
    Corsair HX520
    2 x 2GB Patriot Viper II Sector 5 1600Mhz
    nVidia 8600GT (soon to be replaced with ATI HD 5770)
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB SATA II
    Optiarc AD-7200A (IDE)

The 8600GT definitely isn't a problem, I removed it and started up the PC with no GFX card. Whining sound remained.

I am using C1E. Since I wrote the opening post I saw a few threads where people mentioned disabling it, and this cured the whining sound. I really want to use C1E though, I'm not really happy about turning it off.

It seems the problem could be coming from the PSU?

Comment

yes its a common problem,even my board does it but if you disable c1e and you have windows 7 you can go in win7 power saving and select balanced power saving profile,it will then throttle the cpu when idle the same as c1e but without the high pitched squeal
      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
      Dual Boot
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
      Ati x1950 pro gpu
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      1050w psu
      Nzxt lexa case
      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
        yes its a common problem,even my board does it but if you disable c1e and you have windows 7 you can go in win7 power saving and select balanced power saving profile,it will then throttle the cpu when idle the same as c1e but without the high pitched squeal
        It's that simple? Awesome! I have recently upgraded from XP to Win 7, so I will try it. Thanks very much for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsuru View Post
          It's that simple? Awesome! I have recently upgraded from XP to Win 7, so I will try it. Thanks very much for the info.
          let me know how you get on
          Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
          Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
          Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
          Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
          Dual Boot
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
          Ati x1950 pro gpu
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          1050w psu
          Nzxt lexa case
          http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Seems to have done the trick. It's hitting the 9x multi when idle and also the 24x multi when under load using dynamic OCing. Great! Thanks again, Warren. I kinda wish I'd asked earlier instead of putting up with that screeching sound for the last month or so.

Comment

Working...
            X