Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With New X58A-UDR3 Build

Hi guys.
    I've been looking for a forum with a Gigabyte section, and I'm glad I found this site. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching, but I can't find out the exact answers I'm looking for. I have been building and overclocking PC's for over 10 years, but this is my first i7 build.

My system has been unstable since I put it together, and it seems to be getting worse while I wait for the second set of ram to get here.

-I started off with Warren300's template settings (except the OC), but I couldn't get past an hour of P95 or about 10mins of OCCT on with my 920 @ STOCK
    -Same result when underclocking.
    -I tried Memtest and got a bunch of errors.
    -I tired lowering the ram speed and raising the ram voltages, but that didn't work
    -I tried taking out one stick at a time, and that didn't work
    -I ordered a new set from Newegg on Monday
    Old RAM:
    Newegg.com - OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK - Desktop Memory
    New RAM:
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Desktop Memory

Other strange things I noticed:
    -12V voltage readings aren't even close to 12V in any Mobo utility I used. This worried me, but I had been using the Corsair 620W in my previous build, and it was always rock steady. In OCCT, Everest and PC Wizzard it reads anywhere from .6v-1.6v. BIOS and Easytune read it as 12.12v, but it NEVER varies - which makes me believe it's not really reading it.
    -After a few days, I started to notice a slightly-audible high-pitched noise coming from the PSU.
    -I RMA'd the 620W, and picked up a new 850W locally.

-The multiplier always adds 1 unless I go less than 20.
    -My video card overclocked well when testing with ATI Tray Tools "Scan for Artifacts," and also in games, but now it crashes in games and gets artifacts at stock (I didn't think I had pushed it very far).

I know the RAM could be the culprit for most of these issues, but I'm starting to wonder whether every component I got is unstable? I know bad RAM can cause corruption and make software unstable. However, could bad RAM actually damage other hardware? I know I'll know when the new stuff I ordered gets here, but it's taking forever, and my OCD is driving me crazy!

Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problems With New X58A-UDR3 Build

I forgot to ask - I've seen mention of a "templates thread." I've done a search, but I can't find a thread with that title in here.
    Also - what program do you use to list those BIOS settings?

Thanks

Comment

what qpi,cpu and ram voltages did you try?also did u put in your ram timings manually??
      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
      Dual Boot
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
      Ati x1950 pro gpu
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      1050w psu
      Nzxt lexa case
      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thanks for the reply warren300.
        As I said before, I followed your guide after trying everything on auto.
        I've tried:
        -All auto
        -XMP enabled which does:
        1600 and 1.65v for RAM, and a QPI of 1.4v
        -XMP disabled all auto:
        1066 and 1.5v for RAM, and QPI of 1.2?
        -XMP disabled and set as in your guide:
        1600 and 1.64, and 1.3v QPI

I don't think I've messed with CPU voltages. I would hope I don't have to raise it to get it stable at stock settings.
        I have also tried enabling/disabling the C1E, EIST, and thermal monitoring settings as well (I used to turn them all off on my 975 and P35 builds).

As far as ram timings, I've tried auto and manually setting 8-8-8-24.

Comment

Here's the template thread:

What are your CPU temperatures, are you sure the cooler is mounted properly?

Try disconnecting all hardware that's not strictly necessary (i.e. soundcard, extra HDs, DVD drive).

If the system is unstable after using load optimized defaults there's definitely something wrong. The only thing that could maybe cause a problem is the XMP profile so disable that to ahve the RAM run at DDR3 1066.

Try just one RAM stick, it could also be that one RAM slot has an issue. Are you sure the RAM is inserted into the correct slots right now (check the manual)?

Software voltage readings for the PSU are completely unreliable, never trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansel View Post
            Thanks for the reply warren300.
            As I said before, I followed your guide after trying everything on auto.
            I've tried:
            -All auto
            -XMP enabled which does:
            1600 and 1.65v for RAM, and a QPI of 1.4v
            -XMP disabled all auto:
            1066 and 1.5v for RAM, and QPI of 1.2?
            -XMP disabled and set as in your guide:
            1600 and 1.64, and 1.3v QPI

I don't think I've messed with CPU voltages. I would hope I don't have to raise it to get it stable at stock settings.
            I have also tried enabling/disabling the C1E, EIST, and thermal monitoring settings as well (I used to turn them all off on my 975 and P35 builds).

As far as ram timings, I've tried auto and manually setting 8-8-8-24.
            how did you get on??? are you stable?
            Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
            Dual Boot
            Ati x1950 pro gpu
            1050w psu
            Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
              Here's the template thread:

What are your CPU temperatures, are you sure the cooler is mounted properly?

Try disconnecting all hardware that's not strictly necessary (i.e. soundcard, extra HDs, DVD drive).

If the system is unstable after using load optimized defaults there's definitely something wrong. The only thing that could maybe cause a problem is the XMP profile so disable that to have the RAM run at DDR3 1066.

Try just one RAM stick, it could also be that one RAM slot has an issue. Are you sure the RAM is inserted into the correct slots right now (check the manual)?

Software voltage readings for the PSU are completely unreliable, never trust them.
              Thanks for the template link.

CPU Temps are mid 30's at idle, so I'm sure the cooler is attached correctly.

On first boot, I didn't have the soundcard installed, and it was still unstable.

I'll try just one stick. I did check the manual as far as placement (before I installed and then after I was having problems). They were installed in slots 1, 3, and 5. Then 1 and 3 for two sticks.
              I have also disable XMP. I'm pretty sure it's on 1066 and 1.5v now, but I have never passed more than two passes of Memtest86+ with any setting.

warren - I can boot into Windows and go on the internet and run general programs, but P95 fails, OCCT fails, Memtest86+ fails, and games crash. That's what I mean by unstable.

Thanks for the replies.

Do either of you think the RAM could cause other hardware failures? In other words, could it damage a PSU, GPU, or CPU? I feel stupid for even asking, but as I said before, I'm going a little crazy with this.
              Last edited by Hansel; 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM.

Comment

you need more qpi voltage probably,auto will overvolt,set cpu on normal setting in voltages,set qpi v on 1.30000 set system performance enhance to standard,disable xmp and type in your ram timings and set ram voltage to 1.66
                Dual Boot
                Ati x1950 pro gpu
                1050w psu
                Nzxt lexa case

Comment

The RAM can't really damage other components, only the PSU is usually capable of that.

There could be something wrong with the motherboard RAM slots, so that even though the RAM itself is alright.

The fact that you tried two different RAM kits and PSUs makes it unlikely that it's one of the two components. A broken video card can't cause Prime / Memtest errors, so that leaves the board itself or another installed component as the most likely culprit.

Comment

YESSSSS!
                    Sorry for the delay guys. I got my new RAM in early this afternoon, and I just finished some preliminary testing. It passed 2 rounds of Memtest86+ and an hour of OCCT at 2800MHz (I'm still not sure why it adds 1 to the multiplier).

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
                    you need more qpi voltage probably,auto will overvolt,set cpu on normal setting in voltages,set qpi v on 1.30000 set system performance enhance to standard,disable xmp and type in your ram timings and set ram voltage to 1.66
                    Thanks warren. Setting them to normal vice auto actually helped a little. I got through 32 mins of OCCT with those settings just before my new RAM arrived.

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
                    The RAM can't really damage other components, only the PSU is usually capable of that.

There could be something wrong with the motherboard RAM slots, so that even though the RAM itself is alright.

The fact that you tried two different RAM kits and PSUs makes it unlikely that it's one of the two components. A broken video card can't cause Prime / Memtest errors, so that leaves the board itself or another installed component as the most likely culprit.
                    Thanks Nickel. I actually hadn't received the second RAM kit until today. I had only tried different settings and configurations of the original kit.

I feel so much better. Just have to let P95 go all night tonight and then I'll be on to OC'ing.

Can anyone tell me how I can make the multiplier stay at what I set it at?
                    Also, there are a few settings that aren't on the template. Can anyone recommend settings for:
                    Dynamic Vcore (I have normal set I think or 0.00000)
                    Channel Interleaving (I have 6 set which was shown as default)
                    Rank Interleaving (I have 4 set which was shown as default)

Here is my template:
                    Advanced CPU Features:
                    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
                    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
                    CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
                    CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
                    C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
                    Virtualization Technology ................... [Disabled]
                    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                    QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
                    Uncore Frequency .......................... 3200
                    Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
                    BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................133
                    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled] <- I don't have this setting

Advanced Clock Control:
                    CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                    PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                    Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
                    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [12]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
                    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                    CAS Latency Time ......................8
                    tRCD .......................................8
                    tRP .........................................8
                    tRAS .......................................20

Channel Interleaving........................6
                    Rank Interleaving...........................4

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
                    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
                    CPU Vcore ...............................[Normal]
                    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............1.295V
                    CPU PLL 1.800v .......................[Normal]

MCH/ICH
                    PCIE 1.500v ...........................[Normal]
                    QPI PLL 1.100v .......................[Normal]
                    IOH Core 1.100v .....................[Normal]
                    ICH I/O 1.500v .......................[Normal]
                    ICH Core 1.1v ........................[Normal]

DRAM
                    DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.64V
                    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

the multi will stay at 21 if you disable c1e and eist...altho i keep them enabled so it saves heat at idle and only goes to 3.8 when under any load,your settings look fine to me,you should be able to clock to 3.8ghz with 1.3v qpi..go in win7 power saving and select high performance to keep full clock speed,balanced will reduce it when cpu is idle but not at load
                      Dual Boot
                      Ati x1950 pro gpu
                      1050w psu
                      Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Working...
                      X