Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting from usb - eg45m-ud2h

Hi.

I own a EG45M-UD2H motherboard, in the Advanced BIOS Features for the First/Second/Third Boot Device, the USB boot options are:

USB-FDD
    USB-ZIP
    USB-CDROM
    USB-HDD

Does this mean that this motherboard can not boot from USB Flash Drive? or do I need to set up something else?

I was triying booting up a USB Linux distribution, with zero results.

Thanks

Re: Booting from usb - eg45m-ud2h

i think you have to make the usb bootable or format on fat32
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

warren300, thank you for answer.

The USB is already bootable, I tried it in other PC, and it is formatted in FAT32. I believe is something in the configuration or this motherboard does not boot from USB, .

Comment

The USB should appear under disk boot order as USB-HDDx (USB drive must be pluged).
        You can also press F12 during boot at select it from Hard Disk+ (or something like that).

My system does not always detects the USB drive (I am using a card reader) so I need to do a warm boot (Alt+Ctrl+Delete) and then it is detected.

I Hope this help
        Last edited by Chike; 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM. Reason: cold -> warm

Comment

In my setup, F11 bring up the boot screen and make your choice, but yeah, make sure that thing is plugged in b4 you boot. Maybe try setting up your BiOS setting to under "USB OPTIONS" USH-HDD check that one, you may have to do some trial and error here...ya? Hope that helps.
          Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
          Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
          Acer X223W 22" widescreen

nVidia nForce 7150-630i mobo
          Intel Quad Core Q6700 OC'd 3.13Ghz
          4096MB ddr-800
          200GB hdd 7200 sata
          160GB hdd 7200 sata II
          320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
          320GB ext. hdd Transcend
          MSI dvd rw / lightscribe / sata
          BFG GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 1.0

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:
          http://companies.to/geektweekllc/

Comment

Oh yeah check that USB Storage Function is enabled under Integrated Peripherals

Comment

Chike, tizzie01 and warren300, thank you to you three

Well Chike, you were pretty much correct, but I believe for some of us, if in the Boot Menu appear USB-HDD one would think that will be the option to boot from a USB flash drive. I had the USB Storage enabled, I think it is the default setting.

Now summarizing all the advices from all of you, I reach the following results to help people in general and just my case:

1- A USB flash Drive able to boot and formatted to boot (there are some free software outhere).

2- Have USB plug to the PC BEFORE power it up.

3- Enter your BIOS Setup, under Advanced BIOS Features, look for Hard Disk Boot Priority, and in the list that is shown, see if your USB or flash device is recognize it by the BIOS as a bootable device. It normaly be located after the last reconized hard drive.

Now, here is where things get awkward, normally you would think that if configuring First/Second/Third Boot Device, in your desired order and put USB-HDD before any other hard disk drive, the PC would boot on the bootable flash device, well, in this case it will not. If you try to enter the Boot Menu, that again gives you the alternative to boot from USB-HDD, the PC also would not boot the flash drive, it continue to boot from your primary hard drive.

So having this in mind...

To boot from a bootable flash device, there are two scenarios:

1:

Configuring the BIOS once, so that PC boot normally from the primary hard drive or the USB device when is attached, without entering any menu to select the boot source.

Enter Advanced BIOS Features, then in Hard Disk Boot Priority, look for your USB device and move it to position number 1, Save and Exit your BIOS. So when the PC starts the BIOS follows First/Second/Third Boot Device, to look for a boot code, when reaches the position for the Hard Drive, takes to a count the Hard Disk Boot Priority, and if the USB device is plug it will boot on it, if not, it will continue to the primary hard drive.

And that's it!!!. Have Fun!.

2:(This scenario is thanks to Chike)

Enter the Boot Menu, while appear the Boot up Screen, press Enter in Hard Disk, then the USB device should be listed along with the other hard drives. Remember to verify in the BIOS (in the first three steps) that your USB device have been recognize it.

Have fun!!

HERE ARE SOME LISTINGS OF THE BIOS SETUP, at least, the ones in my motherboard, I do not think they change too much among the Gigabyte series.

Advanced BIOS Features

-Hard Disk Boot Priority:
              1. USB-HDD0 : <USB brand name>
              2. Ch0 M.
              3. Ch1 M.
              4. Ch4 S.
              5. Bootable Add-in Cards

** Where M. stands for Master and S. Slave **

-First Boot Device : Floppy
              -Second Boot Device: CDROM
              -Third Boot Device : Hard Disk

BOOT MENU:

Floppy
              LS120
              +Hard Disk
              CDROM
              ZIP
              USB-FDD
              USB-ZIP
              USB-CDROM
              USB-HDD
              Legacy LAN

Well, that's it, it worked, and I hope this help many others. Feel free anyone to contact for check spelling ( english is not my native language ^_^ ), suggestions or something else.

THANKS!

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE GIGABYTE!!!

Comment

sweet dealio! Glad to be of some kinda service...I had lots of issues trying to boot from USB and actually never succeeded, but I did learn a whole lot from the failure...lol!
                Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
                Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
                Acer X223W 22" widescreen

nVidia nForce 7150-630i mobo
                Intel Quad Core Q6700 OC'd 3.13Ghz
                4096MB ddr-800
                200GB hdd 7200 sata
                160GB hdd 7200 sata II
                320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
                320GB ext. hdd Transcend
                MSI dvd rw / lightscribe / sata
                BFG GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 1.0

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:
                http://companies.to/geektweekllc/

Comment

Originally posted by CENTAUR View Post
                  ...but I believe for some of us, if in the Boot Menu appear USB-HDD one would think that will be the option to boot from a USB flash drive.
                  Yeah hehe I'm in the some too.

Comment

Working...
                  X