Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DS5 crash, core2-duo 2.66GHz

Hi,

I need help on this. I recently switched motherboard and videocard for an X48-DS5 and a Sapphire 5770 and I've been having a strange problem.

The bios is set as "normal" settings (no overclock) with the exception of RAM being set at it's rated (5-5-5-15 instead of the detected 5-7-7-24 but still with the later, I'm having the same problem). Voltages are set to automatic (checked RAM voltage, 2.1V is the rated), CPU is at 1.31V which is fine to me.

When I tun memory tests, no errors pop up but the CPU crashed after 2 about minutes(sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later). I can run Windows 7 normally for hours but whenever the CPU gets too busy, the system crashes (no heavy graphics).

I've run graphic benchmarking and the system does not crash. I've been decreasing the FSB from 333 to 200 and the system is stable (decreasing multiplier from 8 down to 6 does not solve the problem).

I thought it could be the power supply (535W should be enough but still, I didn't know exactly how efficient was my power supply) so I switched to a 750W (after a great rebate, why not!). This didn't solve the problem.

I've read in this forum to increase the RAM voltage a bit as well as the MCH and maybe the FSB... I will try this tonight but I'm left in the dark as to know by how much I can increase these two.

My system is:
    X48-DS5 (Bios rev. F8C), Core2-duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator 8500-C5D (1066), Sapphire 5770.

Thanks,

tcn
    Last edited by tcn; 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM.
    X48-ds5; Q9550S, 440MHz FSB, 3.733GHz; NH12CP-SE14; Mushkin 996599 (5-5-5-12, pc2-8500),
    Sapphire HD-5770 Vapor-X, EVGA NVidia 9800GT; Cooler Master HAF932;
    Corsair TX750

Re: X48-DS5 crash, core2-duo 2.66GHz

Yes normally you'll need more MCH Core for large and/or high speed memory configurations.

Load BIOS optimized defaults first, save & reboot, enter BIOS M.I.T
    Set Performance Enhance standard
    Timings according to memory specs.
    MCH OverVolatege +0.05 - +0.20, start low, increase if needed.

Prime95/Orthos blend torture or OCCT medium/large data set may help verifying settings are stable faster then just waiting for a crash.
    You can fing those programs in http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/.

BTW which processor is it?

EDIT: monitor core temps with RealTemp or CoreTemp to verify there is no problem there. They are likely to be somewhere between 50c to 60c under Prime95/Orthos/OCCT load.
    Last edited by Chike; 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Hi Chike,

Sorry, it's an E6750 (modified my original post to reflect this). I downloaded Prime95 last week but never fired it up; I'll do that tonight and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

tcn
      X48-ds5; Q9550S, 440MHz FSB, 3.733GHz; NH12CP-SE14; Mushkin 996599 (5-5-5-12, pc2-8500),
      Corsair TX750

Comment

Just to clarify, increase the MCH one step at a time. 0.025 for this board if I am not misteken, if needed, up to +0.2. Probably no need for that much.

Comment

Chike,

I've been rebooting for half an hour trying to tweak the MCH up to 0.2 without success. After 0.125, the system becomes more and more unstable. I went up to 0.2 (for testing purpose) and the system still fails. (At a point, freezing in the BIOS or even in POST)

I will now try looking into Intel's datasheets to double check CPU temperature range. After a crash it is usually at 40 degrees or so. I am wondering if it wouldn't be the temperature but these CPUs are supposed to endure more than that.

Any other thoughts?

At least, system works fine at 1.6GHz.... :-/

tcn
          Corsair TX750

Comment

Which memory test have you ran (that cause the CPU to crash)?
            I suggest running memtest86+ for 6+ passes, on each memory pair one in slots 1 & 3 and the other 2 & 4.
            Try to narrow down if there's a faulty memory stick or slot.
            Is 40c core temp or CPU temp as measured by the BIOS and EasyTune?

EDIT: oops you only have one pair, so try on each stick individually first in slot 1 then one known good stick in slot 3.
            You can also try and install them in slot 2 & 4 and see if the problem persists.
            Last edited by Chike; 02-10-2010, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Chike,

I don't think it's the memory as memtest86+ never failed on my old motherboard (ga-p35-ds3l). I do have 4 sticks; the memory is a matched pair.

I also tested two at a time initially when I thought there was a power supply problem and with both pair, system crashed.

Now I suspect a bad heatpipe. From the tests I performed, I think the CPU or memory are not in fault but the northbridge is. Boosting MCH makes the system crash faster leaning toward an overheated chip.

I touched the heatpipe and it is too hot to leave your finger on it. I will try something else tonight. I have an old AC blower that I can use to cool the northbridge's heatpipe down. I will see if the system stays stable that way.

I'll have to search the net to see if the DS5 and DQ6 have a history of faulty heatpipe...

tcn
              Corsair TX750

Comment

The memory test is to test the slots too.
                The north bridge does tend to heat a lot, though at stock I'd expect you'd be able to touch it even though uncomfirably. Does sound that it heats a bit too much.
                What is the ambiant temperature?

Comment

The room temperature stays at around 20 degrees celcius.

To answer the question about the temperatures, the bios is giving me the temperature readings. CPU stays at about 40 and system is more like 50.

I downloaded some other utility (don't remember the name) to monitor CPU temperatures and fans; it looks coherent. Under Prime95 at 1.6GHz (stable setting (FSB at 200 MHz instead of 333)), the CPU goes up to 50 but never crashes.

I see your point about the memory slots; I didn't see it this way. I'll do some more memory tests if the blower fails.

I am not familiar with heatpipes temperatures and so I don't know if the temperature is normal. To me, it's too hot but like you said, the northbridge is running hot by default; so the question is how much is too much. Feelings are relative and maybe my touch is more sensitive than someone else's.

I'm going to borrow a laser thermometer from work and measure the heatpipe's temperature tonight.
                  Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi Chike,

Did the fan test and passed every memory test memtest86+ can dish out. It ran for 2h30 instead of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Unfortunatelly, I can't conclude much but a heat problem somewhere in my system. The blower is cooling the whole system down (CPU, RAM and northbridge). But the problem is heat.

Because I reassembled the system myself and it was my first experiment with thermal compound, I decided to remove the heatsink, clean, and re-apply. To me, there was not much compound but maybe there was a little too much; I don't know..... I put less than there was (much less) and placed the heatsink back. To me, there is nothing like metal on metal to perform heat transfer.

I will continue running more tests. I am wondering, is playing with the MHC putting more stress on the CPU as well?

tcn
                    Last edited by tcn; 02-10-2010, 09:30 PM.
                    Corsair TX750

Comment

Is it the CPU ehatsink you have re-applied the thermal compound to?
                      Yes there shouldn't be much, the compound is just to fill the micronic gaps where metal does not touch metal. Not too little as well though.

Maybe there just not enough airflow inside the case, with 22c ambiant my system temp is 34c idle, CPU 28c and core temps ~40c (but aftermarket HS).

No I don't think MCH put more strees on the CPU, not at stock settings anyway.

Comment

Don't worry, I put paste but enough so that it wouldn't leak around the heatsink. When I removed the heatsink to clean it, there was a ring of think paste; this time there should be a thin one if any.

Ran memory tests and they passed... But Prime95 failed during the night. Unfortunately, I forgot to disable power saving features and monitors were in standby... :-/). Going to do it again tonight.

That's another thing I always wondered about this architecture. The power supply is creating a suction right above the heatsink while the heatsink tries to push air on the CPU. There isn't much air to push when you have a depression right above.

I would have put the CPU more on the floor and the expansion slots high up but looks like the good old IBM PC architecture is sticking around.

I have space to put a 120mm fan right below the power supply but then again, the power supply is going to eat all the supplied air. Putting a 120mm fan on the front of the PC will cool down my hdd but that's about it (although it would create an airflow).

The case is equipped with a kind of tunnel on the side that extends to the heatsink (but of course, it does not go all the way). Maybe I could put a fan in its place...

My systems seems warmer than yours. Are temperatures given by the bios correct? The thermometer seemed to indicate higher temperatures than detected by the bios. I am trying this software I keep forgetting the name to keep track of if in windows. Temperature given by this software are always higher (50oC and more); maybe I should try EasyTune again but I've never been able to have it working (Windows 7 x64); it fails with some error that it can't fire up some DLL or something.

tcn
                        Last edited by tcn; 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM. Reason: forgot comments on the reply
                        Corsair TX750

Comment

Hmmmm you don't have an exhust back fan? It's a must.
                          The idea is there will be a constant air flow coming from the front and side over all components. The PSU fan is not enough, and just get fresh air from the back opening leaving other parts without cooling.

In my system I have a 120mm 90CFM back exhust fan, and 2 low RPM front and side intake fans.

I think you can have the tunnel(sleeve?) and a fan if it's like mine, check the link in my sig, though I had to remove it because of the Mogen 2.
                          The tunnel would be fine without fan, and if you can install a side fan to cool around the NB that may help too as well as front fan if possible.

Comment

My power supply is a Corsair 750W with a 14cm fan inside (no fan exhaust outside). I thought it would be sufficent... I'll put two more fans as you suggest; one 12cm in the back to increase exhaust and one 12cm in the front for intake. I'll monitor temperature afterwards.

tcn.
                            Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi Chike,

My system is stable now. I got my two 12cm fans running at a very low speed (800rpm) and doing the job just fine.

I am still waiting for my side 92mm pwm fan that I will put wither under the sleeve or without the sleeve (I am thinking of leaving it there to bring the air closer to the CPU and northbridge).

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock Intel heatsink if I ever have problems this summer. For now, I'll stick with the fans and see how it goes.

The BIOS and EasyTune5 are very different in terms of temperature readings. Bios gives a 38-39 while EasyTune gives something like 20-22.

The important thing is that I have a stable system now. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

tcn
                              Corsair TX750

Comment

Working...
                              X