[Solved] GA-790FXTA-UD5 can't resume from sleep with "DRAM MCE enable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Solved] GA-790FXTA-UD5 can't resume from sleep with "DRAM MCE enable"

!!!!!!!!!!!!This problem is now solved as of 29APR2010!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BIOS f3d fixed my problem (i.e. I can leave MCE enabled and resume from sleep).
    !!!!!!!!!!!!This problem is now solved as of 29APR2010!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else experienced the problem I describe below? If so please post what hardware you're using so I have a better chance of Gigabyte fixing this. Note you must be using ECC RAM to be able to test this.

When "DRAM MCE enable" is set to "Enabled" Windows won't resume from sleep. The computer goes to sleep just fine, however when you try to resume from sleep there's no video and the hard drive light LED just blinks. Keyboard is locked, can't CTRL-ALT-DEL, numlock light, caps lock light, scroll lock light, won't change. I.e. the PC is frozen. The only way to recover is to reset or power cycle the computer.

I've experienced this problem with Windows Vista Business 32 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Both with clean installs (with nothing changed) and using all updated drivers/software. The only thing this problem requires is that you set "DRAM MCE enable" to "Enabled". I.e. to reproduce this bug you simply need to do this in the BIOS:
    1. Load fail safe defaults or optimized defaults
    2. In the "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)->DRAM Configuration" section set "DRAM ECC enable" and "DRAM MCE enable" to "Enabled" (you can't enable MCE if the main ECC setting isn't enabled).

To fix this issue simply set "DRAM MCE enable" to "Disabled".

I'm using BIOS F2 with this OS & hardwaare:
    -Vista 32 and Win7 64
    -GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
    -Phenom II X4 905e Deneb 2.5GHz CPU
    -ATI Radeon HD 4550
    -Corsair VX450W power supply

-CT2KIT25672BA1339 - 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM , DDR3 PC3-10600 from Crucial.com
    CT2KIT25672BA1339 - 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM , DDR3 PC3-10600 from Crucial.com
    * Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
    * Package: 240-pin DIMM
    * Feature: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    * Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 - CL=9 - Unbuffered - ECC - DDR3-1333 - 1.5V - 256Meg x 72
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-01-2010, 02:02 AM.

Re: GA-790FXTA-UD5 can't resume from sleep with "DRAM MCE enable"

I am experiencing what I believe to be the same problem, once windows 7 puts my machine to sleep, the fans stop spinning, lights go off, everything appears normal. When I try to wake the machine, whether i do it by pressing a keyboard button, or the power button on the machine, everything appears to power on, fans come back on, hdd light goes on, but I just sit there with a blank screen. Ctr-alt-del does not work, nor does the power or reset buttons on the tower itself. The only way to unfreeze the machine is to literally pull the plug.

I haven't adjusted the Dram settings at all yet, but my first step in correcting the problem was to update to the newest bios, adjust my ram timing to 1600, (it was set at 1300), and chose video priority to PEG. I'm gonna let the machine go to sleep now and see if it wakes up normally. If I still have the same problem after this I will try disabling MCE and see what happens from there.

Comment

Ok... I have virtually the same system setup as you, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere in the bios where I can disable dram mce, I don't even see anywhere that I can enable or disable ecc...

Comment

Originally posted by Parr View Post
        Ok... I have virtually the same system setup as you, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere in the bios where I can disable dram mce, I don't even see anywhere that I can enable or disable ecc...
        BIOS f3d fixed my problem (i.e. I can leave MCE enabled and resume from sleep).

You can only enable MCE if you have ECC RAM. I'm guessing you don't have ECC RAM, but if you did have ECC this is how you'd enable it. In the "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)->DRAM Configuration" section set "DRAM ECC enable" and "DRAM MCE enable" to "Enabled" (you can't enable MCE if the main ECC setting isn't enabled).

Comment

Thanks for posting your findings jim-j

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Thanks for posting your findings jim-j
            Is there a way to change the thread title? I'd change this title to say solved, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Comment

Yeap, will do!

*Edit*
              For next time. You should be able to do yourself though, click edit, then Go Advanced edit, and then you can edit the titles of your threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                For next time. You should be able to do yourself though, click edit, then Go Advanced edit, and then you can edit the titles of your threads.
                I see where to change it now, thanks.

Comment

Re: [Solved] GA-790FXTA-UD5 can't resume from sleep with "DRAM MCE enable"

Anytime!

Comment

Working...
                  X