new build, driver and bios help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build, driver and bios help

Im a bit rusty, havent built a new pc in about 3-4 years. I have been lurking on the forums here for a few months now and would appreciate some help.

My PC will be for HomeTheatre and gaming so any un-needed utilities I would prefer not to install. My new pc hardware should be listed in my Sig I believe also.

looking for some advice before I get started please bare with me if I'm not making sense :)

1) Should I flash to a newer bios before I load win7 for the first time?

2) I would really prefer not to load drivers from the CD that came with the board.
    On the gigabyte page: GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver
    it lists all the updated drivers for the x58a-ud7 board I have my own soundcard and network card, Do I have to install drivers for these or is there an option to disable them in the bios? ie : disable realtek LAN and Sound?

3) with the SATA drivers, which ones do I have to load off the gigabyte page? I will Not be going RAID and have only a SSD and Blu-Ray to connect to the SATA ports. Should I use the ICH10R or GSATA2 or Marvell for my SSD? and which for my Blu-Ray?
    The page lists the following drivers:
    -GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver
    -GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
    Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.
    -Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)
    -Marvell RAID Utility (SATA3)
    (Please install Marvell Console Driver before install Marvell RAID Utility)
    -Intel SATA RAID Driver

4) Finally is there any specific order I should Load these in? Chipset then SATA then USB etc??

Thanks very much ;)
    Last edited by ramrod918; 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: addition

Re: new build, driver and bios help

Originally posted by ramrod918 View Post
    Im a bit rusty, havent built a new pc in about 3-4 years. I have been lurking on the forums here for a few months now and would appreciate some help.

My PC will be for HomeTheatre and gaming so any un-needed utilities I would prefer not to install. My new pc hardware should be listed in my Sig I believe also.

looking for some advice before I get started please bare with me if I'm not making sense :)

1) Should I flash to a newer bios before I load win7 for the first time?

2) I would really prefer not to load drivers from the CD that came with the board.
    On the gigabyte page: GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver
    it lists all the updated drivers for the x58a-ud7 board I have my own soundcard and network card, Do I have to install drivers for these or is there an option to disable them in the bios? ie : disable realtek LAN and Sound?

3) with the SATA drivers, which ones do I have to load off the gigabyte page? I will Not be going RAID and have only a SSD and Blu-Ray to connect to the SATA ports. Should I use the ICH10R or GSATA2 or Marvell for my SSD? and which for my Blu-Ray?
    The page lists the following drivers:
    -GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver
    -GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
    Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.
    -Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)
    -Marvell RAID Utility (SATA3)
    (Please install Marvell Console Driver before install Marvell RAID Utility)
    -Intel SATA RAID Driver

4) Finally is there any specific order I should Load these in? Chipset then SATA then USB etc??

Thanks very much ;)
    if your not going raid you shouldnt need the raid drivers? as for soundcard load your drivers for soundcard and disable azalia codec in bios,win7 will automatically search and install your drivers for your board,dont use gigabyte disc for drivers as they will probably be outdated,use the factory bios and if any problems arise then i would flash to latest bios using qflash
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

I always avoid the GB mobo disc as much as possible.
      I've always downloaded the most recent Intel Inf_Install files and applied these immediately after I've installed the most recent Chipset drivers (only the ones I need).
      I'm assuming that win7 is no different in this regard compared with earlier windows versions.

**edit**
      If you do use the GB mobo disc, avoid "Express Install" as this installs almost everything on the disk.
      You can pick and choose individual items to install.
      Last edited by profJim; 02-08-2010, 06:26 AM. Reason: more info
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

do I need to DL and install the Intel Inf_Install files after I load win7 + chipset from gigabyte website?

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod918 View Post
          do I need to DL and install the Intel Inf_Install files after I load win7 + chipset from gigabyte website?
          you can if you want to but win7 will allready install them for you
          Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
          Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
          Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
          Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
          Dual Boot
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
          Ati x1950 pro gpu
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          1050w psu
          Nzxt lexa case
          http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thnx warren