X58A totally flaky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A totally flaky

My board, which I've been bench testing for about 5 days, has really been flaking out on me. It would never let me really install the Catalyst drivers for my EAH 5870 card (I think it has something to do with the Intel INF file, says it is installing but not sure it really is - I installed from the disk and from the Gigabyte download site - same results. The only way I get any video drivers installed is from the Gigabyte disk and that is it, can't update for Win 7 64 at all, no way.)

The other really weird problem for me has been the AHCI detection in the BIOS no matter the version (F2, F3, F3K and today F4). All of a sudden it hangs on the SATA AHCI bios, and will say no device detected on that port. Luckily I had another SSD drive around to test and until I did a CMOS clear and reset, I could get it to appear sometimes but not always. Even changed out the SATA cables.

I've requested an RMA as this board has been way too weird and unreliable, spent way too much time troubleshooting it, and not even getting to enjoy the overclocking part of it yet. How many returns is Gigabyte getting of these revision 1.0 boards?

Again if someone has a great idea I'd sure like to hear it, so far my last thread got looked at but no responses. Last ditch effort here thanks.
    Last edited by chaser24; 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM.

Re: X58A totally flaky

I have the UD7 board and it is superb......are you sure its the board that is faulty....could be power supply or memory giving problems...I would check these out before sending it back....just a thought
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
    16Gb Avexir core red series
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

my UD5 (rev1.0) was acting flakey and unreliable, i had months of raid problems and couldnt stress the ram on it, turns out it was my bios configuration, I went to the templates thread and started a thread with my settings in a template codebox, LSDmeasap recommended some adjustments and its been flawless ever since.
      Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
      : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
      : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
      GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Originally posted by Griff7520 View Post
        I have the UD7 board and it is superb......are you sure its the board that is faulty....could be power supply or memory giving problems...I would check these out before sending it back....just a thought
        I'm using an Enermax Revolution 1050W PSU so no problems there. The memory is Corsair Dominator GT 2000. I'm hoping LSDmeasap or some other guru sees this and has some thoughts as well. I've tried everything in the BIOS I could imagine, reseated CPU, checked all the RAM, etc. This board just does not act at all normal especially in regards to video - I think it has something to do with the INF but not positive.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser24 View Post
          I'm using an Enermax Revolution 1050W PSU so no problems there. The memory is Corsair Dominator GT 2000. I'm hoping LSDmeasap or some other guru sees this and has some thoughts as well. I've tried everything in the BIOS I could imagine, reseated CPU, checked all the RAM, etc. This board just does not act at all normal especially in regards to video - I think it has something to do with the INF but not positive.
          did you do a clean install of win7?you shouldnt need any drivers as win7 will install them automatically when you install os,just install latest 5870 drivers from amd website after win7 install
          Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
          Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
          Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
          Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
          Dual Boot
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
          1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
          Ati x1950 pro gpu
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          1050w psu
          Nzxt lexa case
          http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
            did you do a clean install of win7?you shouldnt need any drivers as win7 will install them automatically when you install os,just install latest 5870 drivers from amd website after win7 install
            I did about 6 clean installs, including formatting drives, using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and X86 versions, even one install with Win XP Pro with SP 3. The problem I had with the board was there was no way to actually get the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers to install as they would fail before installing - video card was testing on another box here and worked just fine. Also the AHCI bios would hang up at detection on some occasions and halt the boot process. All old drivers were cleaned in safe mode using Driver Cleaner Professional.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser24 View Post
              I did about 6 clean installs, including formatting drives, using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and X86 versions, even one install with Win XP Pro with SP 3. The problem I had with the board was there was no way to actually get the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers to install as they would fail before installing - video card was testing on another box here and worked just fine. Also the AHCI bios would hang up at detection on some occasions and halt the boot process. All old drivers were cleaned in safe mode using Driver Cleaner Professional.
              it does say in the manual that enabling ahci may cause some incompatibility issues with some hardware,also i would disable all floppy drives from bios and boot order as that causes hanging when installing/loading win7 sometimes
              Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
              Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
              Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
              Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
              Dual Boot
              1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
              1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
              Ati x1950 pro gpu
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              1050w psu
              Nzxt lexa case
              http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
                it does say in the manual that enabling ahci may cause some incompatibility issues with some hardware,also i would disable all floppy drives from bios and boot order as that causes hanging when installing/loading win7 sometimes
                I did disable floppy and not using one, using USB with FAT32 to flash BIOS files with QFlash.

Comment

I called Gigabyte USA this morning to let them know that their server for eRMA was down - they said they would let their network maintenance guys know and that I would be unable to process anything with them until that time.

Comment

I had terrible trouble with my Crucial SSD and the blue Intel SATA ports, just would not see the drive with AHCI enabled. Would sometimes see it, but W7 would not install.

I gave up in the end and used it in the white ports, worked flawlessly in them ever since.

Still cannot get the SSD to be seen on the blue ports, system just hangs on the port that the SSD is plugged into. I've updated the firmware on the SSD, and updated my mobo bios to F9M, and changed the SATA cables....still no joy.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread incase you have better luck than me.
                    i7 920 (D0 Stepping),
                    Gigabyte x58 UD5 - F9m bios,
                    6gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz ram,
                    Corsair H50 CPU Cooler,
                    ATI Sapphire 5850 gfx card,
                    Crucial 64gb SSD,
                    Samsung F3 1tb Sata HDD,
                    Maxtor 300gb Sata HDD,
                    Asus Xonar D2x Soundcard,
                    Logitech Z5500 Speakers,
                    Hybrid TV Card,
                    Corsair Obsidian 800D Case,
                    Tagan 900w PipeRock PSU,
                    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW,
                    Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by markdobbo View Post
                      I had terrible trouble with my Crucial SSD and the blue Intel SATA ports, just would not see the drive with AHCI enabled. Would sometimes see it, but W7 would not install.

I gave up in the end and used it in the white ports, worked flawlessly in them ever since.

Still cannot get the SSD to be seen on the blue ports, system just hangs on the port that the SSD is plugged into. I've updated the firmware on the SSD, and updated my mobo bios to F9M, and changed the SATA cables....still no joy.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread incase you have better luck than me.
                      I was really glad to see your post. I was also using the ICH10 SATA - and no difference if I used the Vertex 60GB or X25M 80GB drives - I would get the same hangs you did. The blue ports are supposed to be better. Like you I updated the firmware on both SSD's, ran Intel SSD Toolbox on the X25M, etc. Also changed cables with no luck. I RMA'd the board to my eTailer this morning luckily. I will see what happens with the replacement board when I finally get it, in the mean time I've ordered a Classified 760 board which will be here tomorrow. I really wanted the Gigabyte board to work but honestly it is the strangest behaving mobo I've had in the past 10 years or more. Just got a bad one I think.

Comment

if you get a new one and have same issues...then i would say its the memory.....run memtest on each stick independantly....not all at the same time...had issues a few weeks back with that memory and it passed all test..it was only when i tested stick 1 at a time that i found the problem.......hope you post what happens when you get your replacement

thx
                        Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
                        ASUS X99-Deluxe II
                        CRYORIG A80 AIO
                        GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
                        Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
                        16Gb Avexir core red series
                        Evga P2 750 wt
                        Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Working...