• RAM Issues

Here are the specs of the computer I'm putting together:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 MHz
    2x2GB sticks GSkill DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM
    75 GB 10000 RPM SATA HDD
    480W Thermaltake PSU
    Radeon x1950 PCI-E video card

My initial issue was after installing Win7 or Vista (32bit or 64bit), the computer would lock up on the Windows logo loading screen after the installation was complete. Windows XP installs just fine, however, I have a lot of funky things happening, like the system freezes up when installing the driver for my wireless card.

Now, I've been reading a lot and it seems like my issues are RAM related. After upping the MCH voltage from default, 1.1 to 1.3, I'm able to get passed the Windows loading screen and get to the "Setup is preparing your system for the first time" screen but then it enters into an endless reboot cycle every time it hits that screen.

I've made changes to the tRFC value and the RAM voltage itself but with no success. I've also tried swapping out the RAM with 2x1GB sticks of the some type of RAM and that hasn't helped either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: RAM Issues

Are those low latency memory or standard 5-5-5-15 DDR-800.
    What is the BIOS version? (disable logo, it show on the upper left of the screen)

Load oprimized defaults, save & reboot, enter BIOS M.I.T and try the following:
    Performance Enhance standard.
    XMP disabled
    MCH Core 1.15-1.2v (1.3v shouldn't be needed)

Run memtest86+ for 6+ passes, if you get errors test each stick by itself in slot #1, and with one good stick in slot #3.
    If both fail in slot #1, test with each stick in slot #3.
    Test slots 2 & 4 if 1 & 3 fail.

Comment

The timing is standard 5-5-5-15 DDR 800 and I've flashed to the newest BIOS version, F7.

I'll run the memtests and let you know what I find. Thank you for responding.

Comment

I made the BIOS changes you mentioned and ran memtest, which passed for both sets of my RAM (2x1GB and 2x2GB). Still no luck getting the operating system to boot.

I'll also mention I've tried two different hard drives, both of which I know work in other machines.

Comment

We can best help you if follow steps 1 - 4 in this post, making sure that you have loaded optimized bios settings before you test your bios settings.
          It's important that you accurately fill in your bios settings so that it is clear which settings are left on AUTO, and which settings you have manually set.

It's important for you to provide accurate detailed hardware info in your forum signature, and not just post your hardware info in a post.

Posting the requested screen-shot will help us verify that your bios settings are correct and match your posted bios settings.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by markpe View Post
            I made the BIOS changes you mentioned and ran memtest, which passed for both sets of my RAM (2x1GB and 2x2GB). Still no luck getting the operating system to boot.
            If memory settings were unstable when you installed it files may be already corrupted so the best thing to do is re-intstall it.
            To be on the safe side you can install it with only one stick of RAM.

Comment

Working...
            X