New Gigabyte P55A-UD3 & GV-R467ZL-1GB problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gigabyte P55A-UD3 & GV-R467ZL-1GB problem

Hi everyone, I bought a new Gigabyte P55A-UD3 v.10 and also a Gigabyte Video Card GV-R467ZL-1GB ATI Radeon HD 4670/PCI-e 2.0 DDR3

Having a lot of respect for Gigabyte I bought these cards site unseen and never have incurred what seems to be a very uncommon problem.
    Namely:
    I can not copy & Paste, nor format a Floppy disk in Windows XP-Pro-(SP2)

I hope someone can help me.
    System: BIOS f4; P55A-UD3, Corsair 2x2 (4GB) DDR3, Video ATI (as above), 1 Hard drive 120 GB, "EIDE-PATA" freshly formatted FAT32 and XP installed, (No sata drives), using Chan4 IDE connector, 1 CDRom, 1 Floppy Drive.
    I "can format & copy & paste in both "Real Dos" and in "Safe-Mode", but NOT in windows.

I have tried 4 known working Floppy Drives, and 10 cables. I installed XP Pro four different times on clean formatted drives; ALL give the same problem - Cannot copy/paste/format. I ran memtest86 4 complete runs without a single error. I installed Geforce GT 220-1GB-DDR3 - no help there.

I spent almost 3 weeks (a solid 10 hour day) on this problem, and the answer allures me.

The only time I was lucky is when I uninstalled the Video Drivers, and rebooted, but still saw 2 ATI drivers in "show-Hidden device manager".
    "Ati-Hot Key Poller and Ati-Smart" exactly after deleting those 2 files I was able to copy & paste without corruption and format. But it appears to be an isolated case, because I could never re-enact the same.

Also, very weird the drives appear to act in unison suggesting the problem lies in the motherboard or bios. [I say in unison because as soon as I could format, I shut the system down to replace the 160 GB test drive with my usual 120 GB drive. And LOL I was so happy I could format with it also. But my happiness was short lived - it simply decided "you can't format or copy and paste any more, without making any changes to the CMOS, the BIOS or installing anything."

A floppy drive does not use any services, nor does a floppy drive be influenced by other programs corrupted drivers. It is a stand alone program written ages ago before multi-programming became known. The BIOS usually leaves the process up to the Southbridge or in this case the Q57 PCI Express Controller that speaks to the Floppy controller direct. The floppy controller is a microsoft file which I also replaced with Toshiba to test. (Both are almost identical anyways and microsoft uses the Toshiba file.)

I also noticed that the memory address is conflicting with PCI-Express and the Video card. Although I have no video issues.

I'm just lost what else to look for. Your so much appreciated.
    de

Re: New Gigabyte P55A-UD3 & GV-R467ZL-1GB problem

The latest BIOS of P55A-UD3 is F5. have you try to update this?
    "freshly formatted FAT32 and XP installed, "--> have you tried to format it as NTFS? still has the problem?
    I can format & copy & paste in both "Real Dos" and in "Safe-Mode", but NOT in windows.--> what does it mean "real dos" and safe-mode"?

Comment

Re: New Gigabyte P55A-UD3 & GV-R467ZL-1GB problem

Originally posted by yshuwen521 View Post
      The latest BIOS of P55A-UD3 is F5. have you try to update this?
      "freshly formatted FAT32 and XP installed, "--> have you tried to format it as NTFS? still has the problem?
      I can format & copy & paste in both "Real Dos" and in "Safe-Mode", but NOT in windows.--> what does it mean "real dos" and safe-mode"?
      PROBLEM SOLVED after working on it since Dec 14, 2009 and a 10 hr/day.
      SOLUTION: Flashed with the New "F5c" released Jan14th, 2010 and it eliminated the problem immediately. It repaired a memory address conflict.

To answer the question:
      "Real Dos" is when one boots up with a Floppy into a DOS prompt, or uses Win95/98/ME. Window XP/Vista/etc. "Command Prompt" runs Dos in a Window environment and is not true DOS.

"Safe Mode" is achieved by touching the F8 key at Windows Loading. It only loads drivers to run the very basic Windows. For instance it loads VGA, the basic video only. No Firewall, No Networking (unless you choose)
      Hardly any "Services", etc. Thereby you can trouble shoot.

And lastly anyone with Floppy Problems should realize that (assuming if the Floppy drive, the disc & cable are good) that Windows has "NO" bearing on a Floppy Drive. There are NO Services that affect a Floppy. There are no exterior drivers that can interfere with a Floppy. A Floppy action is pure FREE standing. Even the BIOS (usually) leaves a Floppy alone.

The above reasons makes a Floppy ideal to run programs such "memtest86"
      "to Flash the BIOS", to run Disk Harddrive programs and hardware analysis programs without interference.
      de

Comment

Working...
      X