GA-EX58UD5 - Black Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58UD5 - Black Screen

Last night after supper when I went to wake up my computer with my mouse all I got on the monitor was a black screen. No response from the key board at all (ctrl/alt/delete). I unplugged the computer and after about 10 minutes restarted it. I got the normal codes on the motherboard (as fast as I could write and look) - C1/25/36/49/50 (held for a little bit)/75/89/96/FF. After a long period of time (5 minutes?) I heard the Windows music and load. Monitor still black. Doesn't sound like the video card fan is running.

This morning I talked to the Custom-builder tech support. He went thru the list of things that could cause video problems, but after hearing my complete discription (as above) agreed that it was probably the card. He offered an RMA for either the card or the whole system. I opted for the card (don't really like the $65+ shipping each way for the whole system).

I'm now having second thoughts. If it isn't the card, I can visualize a month or more without my primary computer if I have to subsequently send in the whole system. Also, while I'm not "afraid" to remove/replace a video card, knowing me to be the "ham-fist" that I am, I don't relish the thought of handling sensitive electronic parts either.

Does it sound to you experts like a video card? In light of the lack of visual queing, is there anything else I can do before sending in the card? (I have tried a different monitor - same result - and I don't have another PCI-E computer/video card.)

My System is:
    Intel i7-920
    WD Veloci-Raptor 300GB HD
    WD SATA-II 1.5TB HD
    Corsair 2GB/1600Mhz RAM (3each)
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 280 1GB PCI-E
    Thermaltake - ToughPower 850 Watt PSU
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58UD5
    VISTA Home Premium 64 BIT
    BIOS - new a couple months ago - don't remember the #

Thanks - Ron
    Last edited by thud; 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM. Reason: add

Re: GA-EX58UD5 - Black Screen

1st, check to make sure that 1 of the videocard's power connections hasn't come loose.

2nd, try another video cable.

I take it that you've already checked that the monitor works on another system but if those suggestions don't help then it'll be the videocard.

Comment

its quite easy to install a video card,it will click into the top blue pci-e slot on motherboard,did you try clearing cmos at the rear? the blue illuminated switch??it seems to me to be a bios issue,newer bios's have fixed the s3 sleep resume problem
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Guys,

wayout - Yes I checked the power chord and connectors - no change. And yes, I did check another monitor on my computer (no video) and my monitor on another computer (good video).

Wazza - I had an s3 problem a couple of months ago. The BIOS that came with the computer was f7 something. I flashed in something in the f9 series and everything was good. After your suggestion I did clear the CMOS. No change.

Could there be a BIOS reason why the video card doesn't start? I can hear Windows start and right now it's going through a virus scan (I assume by the sound). The only thing that bothers me about my determination of video card failure (no fan sound at all) is the long length of time between the boot (FF on the mob) and the point where Windows loads. Perhaps explained by the fact I have to "turn off" the computer by pulling the electrical plug?
        Last edited by thud; 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
        X