Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New P55M-UD4 won't boot in AHCI mode - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New P55M-UD4 won't boot in AHCI mode - please help!

Hello - I sent this issue to Gigabyte directly, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here as well.

I have encountered an issue with a new build based on a GA-P55M-UD4. Just recently, the machine began to hang when the SATA AHCI bios is loading.

More specifically: when that SATA AHCI loading screen appears during the boot process, the machine hangs exactly when the counter in the upper right hand corner reaches "23." At that point, the boot process fails to discover my drives and the system won't boot.

By hitting the clear CMOS button on the motherboard, I can revert back to the original, default BIOS and the system will boot again, with Windows and everything functioning seemingly normally. However, if I set the primary SATA controller back to AHCI mode, the system the issue will emerge again.

I cannot continue to use IDE mode for the SATA controller since I require TRIM support in my system, which in turn requires AHCI mode. How can I correct this?

More details on my system configuration: I am running a Core i7 860, 8GB DDR3-1333 1.5 CAS9 RAM, Sapphire Vapor-x 5770, Windows 7 x64. I have a total of three hard drives: an OCZ Vertex 60gb w/ FW 1.4 on SATA0 (this is the system drive), and two WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB drives (storage only) on SATA1 and SATA2. The secondary Gigabyte SATA controller is not in use, but enabled. I have consistently used the AHCI setting even during the OS install.

Through updating the BIOS from F3 to F6, and updating the controller driver from the standard Microsoft driver to the Intel driver Gigabyte provides, the system continued to work fine in AHCI mode. The issue began after I accidentally set one of the WD storage drives as an "active" partition. By using the CMD prompt in the Windows repair CD to load DISKPART, I was able to set the correct active partition again. Upon that reboot, the machine began displaying this issue.

I have tried reflashing the BIOS, and flashing back to F5, to no avail.

Any thoughts? Thanks all!

Re: New P55M-UD4 won't boot in AHCI mode - please help!

Have you performed the Windows 7 repair? Did you try this? Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Yes, I already tried that. And I have confirmed in regedit.exe that msahci.sys is set to enabled.

Also, I do not get that particular "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" message when the boot stalls - rather, the screen just freezes on the SATA bios screen, before any of the drivers enumerate.

Comment

If you install OS with IDE mdoe first, you cannot use this OS with AHCI mode. it will not allow you to boot into OS with AHCI if you install OS with IDE mode. If your bios change it from AHCI mode to IDE mode, it can boot into OS again, right? you need to reinstall OS with AHCI mode.

Comment

I installed the OS in AHCI mode, as I indicated in my post.

Comment

1.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tart-correctly
            2. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ws-7#section_7
            You must perform a Windows 7 repair installation or custom instalation. Be sure to follow the instructions on page 96 of your motherboard manual. Install Windows 7 driver as you would Windows Vista. When it asks you if you would like Windows to search for the best driver select browse and point to where the driver is. Here is a PDF of your motherboard manual Give it a little bit to download. http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/m...p55m-ud4_e.pdf
            Last edited by artdrivers; 01-19-2010, 09:31 PM.
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
            Logitech G500 USB mouse
            Monitor: CMV937A
            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I've got exactly the same problem on 3 machines, all H55M-UD2H motherboards. AHCI will not load with Western Digital 1TB drives. It will load with newer ones, like 2TB etc.

This is without any OS. As the original poster said, IT HAPPENS AS IT LOADS THE AHCI BIOS. This means it is either the BIOS or firmware in the drive.

It has nothing to do with registry stuff or windows settings.

Havent found an answer yet, but will keep you posted.

A workaround is to set it to IDE (only slightly slower in realworld terms) and reboot. It will then ask you if you wish to enable AHCI. Answer NO and it will then stay as IDE.

Looks like someone at Gigabyte didnt write their BIOS code properly...

Comment

Send in a report, with the drive model and firmware revision, that way the engineers can try to test and correct if it's an issue they can address on their end.
                GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Comment

Did you look on wd site for any firmware updates for that drive? As regarding performance you won't see much if any performance increase from ide to ahci but it will enable native command queing and smart for your hdd if set to ahci

There's two options at top and bottom of the bios page are you setting both of them to ahci? And not just one?
                  Last edited by wazza300; 03-16-2011, 05:21 AM.
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hello. I've the same problem. My PC stops booting when I select the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode in AHCI or RAID mode. I have the same MoBo too (GA-P55M UD4) and the computer stops in the same point that Andr. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks.

Comment

See this post guys, it could be how the drive is formatted from the factory, see post #10 for fix info

You'll need to delete all partitions and then create new ones and install or restore your OS to.

Comment

Working...
                      X