Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD7 and Cougar S550: buzzing sound

Hi!
    I built a new computer in December. Everything works like a charm except one little thing: when the energy saving functions of the CPU (C1E and the other C states) are activated the power supply produces a high-pitched buzzing sound (especially when using the mouse or when the graphics card is used during scrolling). When I deactivate these 2 funtions, everything is normal. I already spoke to a guy from Cougar and he said it has to do with the Intel energy saving technologies. This problem first occured on the P55 boards, but as you can see it also seems to be present on the X58 boards. Here is a video (it's not from me, but it's the same problem on a P55 board):

The guy from Cougar said that they are working with some mainboard manufacturers, but I haven't heard anything about it since then. It seems to be a problem with the DC/DC technology of new power supplies (e.g. from Enermax and Cougar) and the Intel energy saving functions. Some P55 users also reported that it has to do with the "Dynmic Vcore" function.

Here is my config:

Intel Core i7 920 @ stock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
    6 GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4770
    80 GB Intel X25-M
    1 TB WD Caviar Black
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Cougar S550
    Logitech G500
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Windows 7 x64
    newest beta BIOS (F3K)

I hope someone from Gigabyte can forward this problem to the BIOS developers in Taiwan as this seems to be the only real solution.
    Last edited by DaKo; 01-17-2010, 04:05 PM.

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 and Cougar S550: buzzing sound

its a common problem even my board does it,its a combination of c1e intel power saving feature or you graphics card or both,updating chipset,lan and audio drivers help lessen the noise,what os are you using?if your using windows 7 then disable c1e in the bios and enable power saving"balanced"mode in windows,it will do the same job as c1e but without the noise,it will reduce cpu speed and power consumption at idle but switch to full cpu speed under load
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I'm using Windows 7 (I edited it in my first post). I didn't know that Windows can do this by itself (I'm using this preset already, but CPU-Z showed full frequency when I deactivated the C states); I will definitely try it tomorrow. Will Windows also adjust the voltage? Should I let "C3/C6/C7 states" stay on enabled in the BIOS?

Comment

yes it will throttle the cpu when idle,all you need to disable is c1e in the bios all the others can be enabled,only win7 has it,xp and vista doesnt
        Last edited by wazza300; 01-17-2010, 04:16 PM.
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Ok, I will give it a try tomorrow :).
          Last edited by DaKo; 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I tried it now. When I only deactivate C1E the buzzing sound is still there for about a minute in Windows (like before, so no change). After 1 minute the buzzing sound is almost gone; it then only occurs rarely (and it's quieter), for example when moving the sound or when the graphics card is used (fast changing flash banner; games work without a problem). When I also deactivate "C3/C6/C7 states" in the BIOS, the buzzing sound is completely gone (I think sending a core to sleep or turbo boost don't work without it, do they?). So it seems to be a problem with the (implementation of the) energy saving functions on this board :(. Maybe this issue can be forwarded to the Gigabyte BIOS developers as it seems that only they can do something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaKo View Post
              I tried it now. When I only deactivate C1E the buzzing sound is still there for about a minute in Windows (like before, so no change). After 1 minute the buzzing sound is almost gone; it then only occurs rarely (and it's quieter), for example when moving the sound or when the graphics card is used (fast changing flash banner; games work without a problem). When I also deactivate "C3/C6/C7 states" in the BIOS, the buzzing sound is completely gone (I think sending a core to sleep or turbo boost don't work without it, do they?). So it seems to be a problem with the (implementation of the) energy saving functions on this board :(. Maybe this issue can be forwarded to the Gigabyte BIOS developers as it seems that only they can do something.
              did you look in easytune it should show the cpu at low speed when idle and full speed when at load,with c3/c6/c7 and c1e disabled,for me the sound goes away with just c1e disabled in the bios
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I don't have EasyTune installed, I used CPU-Z to check the frequency. When Windows is being started, the CPU seems to have its highest frequency (even higher when C3/C6/C7 states are activated due to turbo boost I think). During this time the power supply makes this sound; it's getting worse when moving the mouse. After about a minute the CPU goes down to 1.6 GHZ (idle frequency); the buzzing sound is almost gone and occurs rarely when using the mouse for example.

I now asked someone from the German Gigabyte forum (who also has contact to the BIOS developers in Taiwan) about this problem. He told me it's a known problem among all mainboard manufacturers caused by the Intel power saving functions. The only solution seems to be another power supply or setting the vcore to a fixed value :(. I wish it would work with only C1E disabled :(.

Comment

Working...
                X