Default BIOS CPU Support in P55A-UD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default BIOS CPU Support in P55A-UD3

Hi, I just bought all new parts for a new pc running a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard and Intel Core i7-860 cpu. It doesn't post or beep when I turn it on. The power light goes on, the phase led lights are all lit up, and all the fans start going but nothing is displayed. It doesn't appear to be spontaneously rebooting on its own. I will be testing the ram and trying different ram to see if that is the problem.

Until then, could anyone tell me whether the original factory default bios on the P55A-UD3 supports the Intel i7-860? Should the original bios be able to boot with this cpu? I had this problem many years ago with an old Pentium II-333 not being supported by my motherboard at all without a new bios and I'm wondering if that could be my problem here.

Also, does the P55A-UD3 have some built-in speaker to make beeping noises on errors? My case does not come with an internal speaker but I can salvage one from another pc to help diagnose if the motherboard doesn't have its own.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Mik2; 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM.

Re: Default BIOS CPU Support in P55A-UD3

Can't say about your 860, but out of the box it did support my i5-750. The bios was not up to date so I did flash to the F4 with no problems. Additionally, no I don't think it has a speaker on the motherboard. If it does, I've never heard anything out of it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's probably not that then.

I connected a pc internal speaker from another case and turned on the computer again. It turns out that it doesn't make the speaker beep at all. Any idea what that might indicate? My computer behaves the same way without ram and video card too. Even with just motherboard, cpu, and power supply it doesn't do anything but turn on lights and fans. It doesn't POST, beep or reboot. All of these components are brand new. I would be surprised if it was the power supply since it is clearly supplying power. I checked the 24pin and 8pin motherboard power cables and they are connected properly. I checked the cpu again and it is correctly seated.

Do you think my motherboard is just defective? Would a functional motherboard beep if the cpu was faulty?

Thanks.

Comment

default bios should support i7 860. please check your memory are correctly populated in the right slots. on 1 memory on white DDR3_1 slot.

Comment

Originally posted by yshuwen521 View Post
          default bios should support i7 860. please check your memory are correctly populated in the right slots. on 1 memory on white DDR3_1 slot.
          I tried three different Corsair ddr3 pc1600 ram chips in combinations and one at a time in each slot. There is no change. The Corsair ram needs 1.65V. Can this motherboard POST with 1.65V ram or does it only feed 1.5V until changed in the bios? Would that be the problem? The motherboard behaves the same way regardless of where the ram is or even if there is no ram at all. I am starting to think my motherboard is defective.

Comment

1.65V memory should be ok. Have u checked your power supply? borrow one from your friend to test it. if u already checked this, you may bring your m/b back to the store to check.

Comment

it should power up with standard bios thats on the board,do you have a post l.e.d clock on the mb?im not sure if p55 has them ifso what error code is it saying??? and all voltages will be on auto when you get the mb so voltages will be fine
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, this motherboard doesn't have any error code indicator on it. It does have a row of something called "phase led" though. There are four of them. The first two are green, the third is yellow/orange, and the fourth is red. I don't know if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mik2 View Post
                  Unfortunately, this motherboard doesn't have any error code indicator on it. It does have a row of something called "phase led" though. There are four of them. The first two are green, the third is yellow/orange, and the fourth is red. I don't know if that means anything.
                  what graphics card are you using?? how many pci-e slots are there 2? did you try gpu in each pci-e slot on mb? also do the phase led's stay all lit up green through to red? or do they light up and go out leaving just one green led??
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    what graphics card are you using?? how many pci-e slots are there 2? did you try gpu in each pci-e slot on mb? also do the phase led's stay all lit up green through to red? or do they light up and go out leaving just one green led??
                    There are 2 pci-e slots. No change if I use either slot or even if I don't have a video card plugged in.

The lights stay lit up in this order: Green Green Orange Red. They don't go out until I turn off the computer. Does that mean anything?

Comment

There are 2 pci-e slots. No change if I use either slot or even if I don't have a video card plugged in.

The lights stay lit up in this order: Green Green Orange Red. They don't go out until I turn off the computer. Does that mean anything?
                      yeah they should go out,so its not posting thats why there staying on,ok did you clear cmos? short cmos mb pins with a jumper or flat blade screwdriver there two pins near the mb battery or remove battery for 20mins then try,next check you cpu socket for any bent pins,be carefull though not to bend any while looking or not to get any thermal paste on the pins,re-seat your cpu heatsink,maksure its on propperly then try
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yeah they should go out,so its not posting thats why there staying on,ok did you clear cmos? short cmos mb pins with a jumper or flat blade screwdriver there two pins near the mb battery or remove battery for 20mins then try,next check you cpu socket for any bent pins,be carefull though not to bend any while looking or not to get any thermal paste on the pins,re-seat your cpu heatsink,maksure its on propperly then try
                        I tried shorting the bios pins with a jumper already. I haven't tried taking out the battery though. I guess that's next. I will check for bent pins next.

Comment

I tried shorting the bios pins with a jumper already. I haven't tried taking out the battery though. I guess that's next. I will check for bent pins next.
                          makesure the cpu clamp doesnt close when the cpu is out as it might have thermal paste on the edges and it will foul some cpu pins,if none of that works then could you try with another psu???
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

makesure the cpu clamp doesnt close when the cpu is out as it might have thermal paste on the edges and it will foul some cpu pins,if none of that works then could you try with another psu???
                            I have another power supply in an older computer somewhere. I will try to locate it. I checked the cpu pins on the motherboard and they look fine.

To test whether it is a cpu problem, would a functional motherboard behave differently with no cpu compared to a connected defective cpu? Should I try turning it on without a cpu in it to see if it does anything differently?

So far this is the most unsuccessful pc build I have ever done. Maybe I should have gone lga-1366 instead.

Comment

I'm just going to bring the whole computer in to the store where I bought the parts to have it checked out. I expect I will probably end up replacing the cpu and motherboard with an X58 mobo and i7 920. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X