Gigabyte P35-S3G Underclocks CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte P35-S3G Underclocks CPU

Hi, I am new to the forums and after extensive google searching this seemed the only place that offered any insight into my issue but it still persists so I am hoping you guys can help. Ok so here is my issue I upgraded yesterday from a Radeon 3870 to a Radeon 5870 and as soon as I did this my motherboard started underclocking my E7200 from its overclocked 3.1ghz to an underclock of 1.73ghz. It's stock is 2.53ghz. I have tried doing a full CMOS reset as well as flashing the bios to version F3 and F4 with no luck. The only time it has worked at all was when I did the CMOS reset it worked once at the stock speed until I reset the system. I have noticed it doesn't reset everything, it just resets the multiplier back down to 6 and switches the FSB to auto. I know many might think this is a powersupply issue but, one I don't have the money to switch it out and two It's odd that it ran just fine on stock until I reset the computer(I tested it out with crysis and Company of Heroes). It really seems to be some kind of bios glitch. This is really killing my system performance with it doing this. Also here is my system setup:

Gigabyte P35-S3G
    Intel Core Duo E7200
    Rosewill 550W PSU
    Kingston HyperX 4GB(2X2GB) DDR 2 1066MHZ(have kept it at 800... the mobo doesn't seem to like the higher clock speed).

Thanks everyone for the help and sorry my post is a bit erratic I've been looking for the past 4 hours on how to fix this thing.
    Last edited by Dusty23007; 01-08-2010, 08:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks

Re: Gigabyte P35-S3G Underclocks CPU

Can anyone help me with this plz!!?

Comment

Does it still persists if you install the old Radeon 3870?

Comment

Comment

I havn't tried putting back in the 3870 but I imagine it would work fine since that is the only thing I changed. I have the F4 bios on my computer though and that hasn't fixed anything. its not that the multplier is not changing when it is idle... I know that it decreases its speed when not under load. The problem is its not going above a clock 1.73ghz in the bios or when in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty23007 View Post
            I havn't tried putting back in the 3870 but I imagine it would work fine since that is the only thing I changed. I have the F4 bios on my computer though and that hasn't fixed anything. its not that the multplier is not changing when it is idle... I know that it decreases its speed when not under load. The problem is its not going above a clock 1.73ghz in the bios or when in games.
            what make of card is it ? sapphire?? ect,howmany pci-e slots do u have?u tried in the other slot?
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I havn't tried putting back in the 3870 but I imagine it would work fine since that is the only thing I changed.
              Some faults exceeds imagination.

There's a newer F5 BIOS, though the only change listed support for Xpress BIOS Rescue, it is something to look at.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies :). Ok both of my cards are sapphire and I only have 1 PCI express slot. I think i did just figure somethign out though. When I disable CPU Thermal Saftey it will only declock it back to the factory setting when I try to overclock it which would mean it just not taking the overclock. It does however worry me that I have to disable that saftey feature to do that. My CPU temps seem just fine though. Any ideas on how to get it back to my 3.1ghz? I currently have the FSB to 333 and the voltage up to 1.32, I don't think I would want to go any higher than that.

Thanks again!

Comment

When I disable CPU Thermal Saftey it will only declock it back to the factory setting when I try to overclock it which would mean it just not taking the overclock. It does however worry me that I have to disable that saftey feature to do that.
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2? Probably the last thing you ever want to disable.

Comment

Unfortunately yes thats what it was. I don't what conclusion to draw from that then. Why would my cpu suddenly start acting this way with a new graphics card in it.

Comment

IMO no conclusion can be drawn until you try to switch back to the older card and/or try the new BIOS.

Comment

Ok so I tried flashing the bios from F4 to F5. It however made no difference and I am still in the situation. I then put back in the older card to test and it to will not let me overclock my processor. In fact it has the same results with the thermal monitor enabled as it will declock my processor below stock speeds. The only difference I noticed was with the 3870 if left voltage on auto and changed the FSB and multiplier it would only reset the multiplier and not put the FSB on auto like it would with the 5870. That means that when It resetted its clock speed it was a slightly higher 2.1ghz

Comment

So now you can't OC not run your CPU on stock FSB/clock on default settings no matter what card is installed?
                          If this is the situation, concidering what you have tried so far, I'd say take it to GB suppoert, either they will know how to fix it or will RMA the board if it's still under warrenty.

Comment

Working...
                          X