Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 RAM ID Problem

Re: EX58-UD5 RAM ID Problem

have you tested with each stick one at a time in each white slot one at a time? if alls well it will boot from any white slot with one stick
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have tried the following combos: 1. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 1 (white closest to CPU), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 2. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 3 (white middle slot), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 3. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 5 (white farthest from CPU), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 4. 3 x 2GB sticks in slots 1, 3 and 5, BIOS finds 4GB, windows fails to boot as discribed in my original post. I have tried each ram stick individually and they do not cause an error unless all 3 sticks are installed. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Starkington View Post
        I have tried the following combos: 1. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 1 (white closest to CPU), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 2. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 3 (white middle slot), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 3. 1 x 2GB stick in slot 5 (white farthest from CPU), BIOS finds 2GB, windows boots okay 4. 3 x 2GB sticks in slots 1, 3 and 5, BIOS finds 4GB, windows fails to boot as discribed in my original post. I have tried each ram stick individually and they do not cause an error unless all 3 sticks are installed. Thanks
        well now you know that the ram modules arnt faulty maybe its a bios issue,i would update it to the latest one as it will fix alot of memory incompatability issues,read on how to flash using qflash on main page,all you have to do it download bios extract it and drag the bin file to a usb stick formatted in fat32 and then at splash screen press the end key and follw onscreen prompts,f7 is an old bios now
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have the same RAM running great on my UD3R. With XMP enabled, try manually setting QPI @1.275 volts, set Vdimm to 1.60 volts.

Comment

First off thanks for the ideas guys. I tried to flash my BIOS to F9m last night but Q-Flash did not recognise my USB stick, I will try again tonight with a different USB or a bootable USB drive. I also tried bumping my QPI voltage as suggested by flyfisher. I enabled the XMP profile1 (1600MHz 8-8-8-24-2) with Vdimm 1.6 and Vqpi/Vtt 1.28 V. The same problem occured. I then bumped Vqpi/Vtt to 1.34 V and the same error occured. I don't want to go any higher on Vqpi as 1.35 is the max under intel's specs. After upping the Vqpi to 1.28 V and booting to the post screen (on a cold boot); 4GB of RAM was identified again so I powered down the computer manually. After being off for a few seconds I then powered on again and the computer posted okay (Identifed 6GB of RAM) and booted to windows okay. Any other ideas?

Comment

Only thing I can add is that I had a dual channel kit on a P55 board that passed Memtest+ fine but was unstable in Windows, kept failing Linx at stock. HCI memtest for windows threw errors. Next time it shows all 6 GB try memtest for windows (get it here) and see if you get errors. With 64bit you should run 8 instances and allocate 512Mb or so to each instance. The free version will stop on any error. If your RAM is good it should run at least overnight without any.

Edit: Now that I thought about it some more, it would seem that DIMM slot 5 is the culprit. You tried all the sticks separately and in pairs in slots 1 and 3, and they all were good. As soon as you populate slot 5 the trouble begins. I am beginning to think this is a motherboard problem.
              Last edited by flyfisher; 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I will give the memtest for windows a go - can't hurt anyway.

I will be away for work for the next few days from tomorrow, so will run the test tonight and hopefully post before leaving. You never know, it might show something or at least let me rule the ram out as the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I am back,

After being away for approx 5 days (computer turned off but psu on at the wall and on at psu switch), upon powering on the computer rebooted 2 times and at the POST screen an error message appeared saying that the system was unstable due to overclocking and default values had been reset. The only modification that I was using was XMP enabled on the RAM (all voltages were "auto").

I have run memtest86+ for in excess of 29 hours without fail, but when I run memtest for windows as recommended above by flyfisher I would get a failure within the first 1 to 1.5 hours (8 instances running, 512MB ram first 7, all available memory 8th instance).

Thinking that there may be a thermal problem with the memtest in windows, I used speedfan 4.40 and HWMonitor1.15 to check the CPU core temps. They were okay but the voltages seemed way off. There are shown in the attached picture for idle conditions and given below for load (running prime95):
                  CPU - 1.2V
                  RAM - 1.52V
                  +3.3 - 0.14V ????
                  +5V - 5.08V
                  +12V - 9.09V (HWM gives 9.28V) ???
                  -12V - -16.23V ???
                  -5V - -5.61V (HWM gives -4.22V) ???
                  +5V - 3.63V (+5VCCH in HWM)???
                  Vbat: 3.17V

Maybe the problem is a PSU... Is it weird that the computer will boot with such bad voltages (I.e. could the mobo be incorrectly reporting the voltages)?

Thanks again.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, temps don't get too high with memtest. I can't imagine your PSU is bad, but it's always possible you received a defective PSU. What does the BIOS report for voltages in system health? I wouldn't trust SpeedFan readings.

Edit: Looks like BIOS doesn't report 12 volt reading. I use Everest which seems to report voltages OK.
                    Last edited by flyfisher; 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I didn't use Everest when I did my tests this morning and am at work now so I don't have access to my computer to do an Everest test (I will tonight). I did use HWMonitor 1.15 which (according to CPUID CPUID) supports iTE IT8720 the I/O chip on the EX58-UD5. See results below (These are idle - the 9.34V in the +12V was from a load though). The CPU, RAM and +5V line up with Easytune 6 (I couldn't find any other info in Easytune.

Thanks for the help.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am on XP 32-bit, haven't made it to Windows 7-64 bit yet. I downloaded HWM 1.15 32-bit and my voltages are spot on with Everest. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of HWM? I ask because those are some serious errors in voltages in that screenshot, and some of the listed voltages are different from mine. I don't know if the version makes a difference?
                        Last edited by flyfisher; 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I am 99.9% sure it is the x64 version. I will confirm it tonight when I get home, I will also check with Everest.

At least we are making progress... I have no idea how it is booting to windows if the voltages are right though.

Comment

I would say you either have bad ram are there a problem with board if you have tried each stick one at a time and run machine you a day are so and see

also try these settings

Load Line Calibration................[Enabled]
                            CPU Vcore..................1.25000v..[1.30000v]
                            QPI/VTT Voltage...........1.100v.....[1.255v]

DRAM Voltage..............1.500v.....[1.640v]
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Enabled]
                            System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [12]
                            Memory Frequency (MHz) 1333 1600

Channel A,B & C Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
                            Cas Latency Time 8
                            tRCD 8
                            tRP 8
                            tRAS 24
                            Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                            Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                            Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                            2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                            6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                            2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                            Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                            Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                            Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                            Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                            Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

I have checked the version of HWMonitor I am using and it is x64. I have checked it on another computer at work running win 7 pro x64 and the voltages report fine as expected (motherboard asus p6t). Based on the software working on win 7 x64 (my test) and working on a EX58-UD3R mobo (flyfisher's test) which has the same I/O Chip (iTE IT8720) as my EX58-UD5; I think either my PSU is stuffed or the mobo is giving bad readings.

Hi Judge-dredd, I have previously run a memtest86+ run of over 29 hrs with all 3 modules with zero errors (see pic), so I doubt running them individually would achieve much more, unless I have misunderstood your suggestion.

I might see what voltages I pull with other memory combinations (not all 3 dimms) as it seems weird that I didn't get errors with them if it is a PSU. Maybe a memory socket is shorting, or maybe 3 dimms pulls just enough power to cause problems?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X