Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45-UD3P - e8400 E0 - 4.25ghz+ OC help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P - e8400 E0 - 4.25ghz+ OC help.

Hello! (Newbie to the forums and overclocking

I have been scanning your forums and others for ideas and tweaks to by current setup. I defintely like my Gigabyte board and have owned 3 or 4 now.
    Its the only board i really prefer @ my cost level + performance.

I currently have a EP45-UD3P with an E8400 E0 stepping. I hear this is a good chip stepping. Currently i have attained 4.25ghz 500fsbx8.5 and from benching appears to be stable. However i am trying to push my envelope and being on AIR i am probably asking to much.

Alas, i am having stability issues by simply changing my CPU multiplier from 8.5x to 9.0x(4500mhz). I tried upping my Vcore values in steps and seem to have noticed i get more stability as i go up. However i am coming to an end on this. I believe i will be hitting a temp/voltage wall due to my limited Air cooling. Also curently @ 4.25ghz with Intelburntest i hit 69c max, and Prime around 54ish max. I was able to bench intelburntest reaching 4.3xghz but upped my voltage to do so, and my stability wasnt real good either heat reached 75C on intelburntest and failed the test with inaccurate calculations.

so i ask - My question is if i am changing my cpu multi and upping voltage but still having stability issues should i look at any other settings? Also i tried upping my FSB some from 500 to 505 and hit stability issues. i have either hit a sweet spot or i am not covering all my bases.

Information EP45-Ud3P (rev 3.3) F12 BIOS - E8400 E0 (Lapped)- 4 sticks of 2gb Mushkin 996599 DDR2 1066

(i used to run 450FSB and found somewhere someone suggesting upping MCH voltages due to 4 sticks and also adjusting MCH ref to 720. These 2 settings alone allowed me to hit 500fsb without to much issues)

Thank you guys for your help, i look forward to your reply!
    Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 12-31-2009, 09:49 PM. Reason: missed something :P

Re: EP45-UD3P - e8400 E0 - 4.25ghz+ OC help.

Screenshots for some specs will do template or add more if needed. (just noticed CPUZ reports it as a stepping A revision E0 - not sure now if its E0 or A? Not that it really matters i guess?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 12-31-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

With 4 sticks you will have a much harder time, try with only 2 sticks of ram to find your maximum oc. I was able to hit 4500mhz with my not so great e8400 on the P45 DQ6 board using very high vcore and an h50 cpu cooler, the UD3p should do just as good.
      XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - ** Official ** Gigabyte UD3 P45 Series -- EP45-UD3 / EP45-UD3R / EP45-UD3P

You will need to adjust your reference voltages, cpu ref and mhc ref to get stable at higher fsb freq. Also you may need to tweak your advanced clock control settings, for the life of me I cant remember the ref's for the e8400. radaja at XS had posted ref settings that will be a good starting point. Look in the e8400 thread.

EDIT: try going up on your MHC ref a notch at a time and test each time you bump, also try giving it more vtt, set the other ref's to auto.
      Last edited by oc nub; 12-31-2009, 10:11 PM.
      MSI X58 XPower
      i7-950
      Mushkin Radioactive 1600 c6 @1000mhz 6 9 6 24

XSPC rx360, mcp655, apogee XT, ek multioption res150, scythe 133cfm's
      HD5870
      Corsair AX1200

Comment

Are you sure about the board revision? Revision is printed at the corner above the far PCI slot I/O panel side.

There is no grauantee the chip is capable for 4.5GHz, not on air anyway.
        75c for IBT is not a problem, providing it pass, temps won't near it under normal use.
        Follow steps 1-4 in this post to proovideinformation about your system and settings and peaople may be able to make more educated comments.

Comment

Hello, Thanks for the quick replys!

@OC NUB - Thank you for the links and suggestions, i am currently @ 1.30MCH volts how high can i go and still be safe? 1.4? (My apology i read it wrong, was thinking voltage over reference. :( Disregard my Q on this line if you like :)

@Chike - Thank you for the link on the template. i am currently trying to fill it out. I could not locate the rev on the board but it is on the box the mobo came with when i bought it from newegg. Also i messed up on BIOS rev, i am at F9 not F12 i think i got my 965p-ds3 mixed up on that

The advanced timings are something i have been reluctant to play with out of fear of making wrong adjustments. I know people disagree about safe and not so safe settings, but i would like to ask the following:

Max vcore i should attempt before passing 24/7 recommendations( will most likely upgrade before the end of next year, so not worried to much about overall lifetime of cpu.)
          Cpu termination: whats a max setting i should attempt here?
          MCH voltage? max?

be back in a bit, going to fill out this form and sig stuff :)
          Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 12-31-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Checking sig, its not showing up in other posts i already made?

there it goes.
            Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 12-31-2009, 11:01 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

I would say 1.4vMHC max would be safe, however I have used much higher for 24/7 use with no issues for months at a time. I took the blue gigabyte plate off of the nb and put a 120mm fan blowing directly on the hs. As for vcore, with air cooling you should hit a wall with your temps before going over the maximum safe vcore.
              This is just my opinion on the "safe" voltages and what I am comfortable running.
              This is your hardware not mine so use your best judgment on what you feel is safe.
              MSI X58 XPower
              i7-950

HD5870
              Corsair AX1200

Comment

Quick question, i have a q9650 and my e8400, i ddin't notice a big improvement with the q9650 in my games, but i also didn't test alot of them.

i already have an refund setup with newegg, who is really great btw!

Should i

a) keep my e8400 and stretch the hell out of it? and hold off for an Icore?
                (i lose 48$+shipping fee sending q9650 back)

b) keep the q9650 and either buy new cooling for a good/extreme OC
                (had 4ghz stable on the q9650 but didn't go higher due to temp wall)

i seem to lean towards A due to the fact cpu clock speed seems to still rule in games, but i know some benefit well with quad core(faster loading times it seems in games). And the fact i may want to jump to an I5-I7-I9 in the near future?

What option would you choose and why? Keep in mind i only really care about gaming, i do pretty much no ripping,editing.

Thank you for you replys!

Chike: i hesitated filling out the template yet because of this factor im asking and i am still changing tons of stuff
                Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM. Reason: reply

Comment

For gaming keep the 8400 imo, no need really for 4 cores in games right now. For fun with overclocking, the board you have is the king of 45nm quads and a lot of fun to oc. I was able to get 4500mhz stable on a q9650 using the UD3P.

Last edited by oc nub; 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM.
                  MSI X58 XPower
                  i7-950

HD5870
                  Corsair AX1200

Comment

LOL, chike i just finally realized rev 3.3 is also from my 965-ds3, thats probably why you were like huh?

MY real revision is 1.0

I got like 3 gigabyte mobos and boxes all over the place, maybe when i can figure out what i have i can help you to help myself *bonks himself on the head*

@oc nub, your making it harder for me to send this q9650 back when i see stuff like that :P
                    Last edited by DeadlyDNA; 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyDNA View Post
                      LOL, chike i just finally realized rev 3.3 is also from my 965-ds3, thats probably why you were like huh?
                      Latest I know of and listed on GB site is 1.6, and even if the site is not up to date Iwhich happens) I'd expect a newer revision to be 2.x at most.

Comment

Yeah, i still didn't verify by looking at the mainboard pcb, i dont feel like removing all the stuff to find it right now. I'm lazy i know.....

On a side note i been constantly tweaking and appear to have reached my new high if it remains stable: I still plan on pushing more if i can, just trying to keep my Vcore down as much as possible, and still have alot of other tweaking to do.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Anyone else having to answer the question:

"What is the current year? We accept 2 digits or 4 digits form."

with 2009 instead of 2010???? Where is the server located in Doc Brown's Delorean?

Comment

Hey Hey, okay i picked up a corsair h50 closed loop cpu cooler, i broke a clip on my AC7pro, at an rate i setup a 120mm push pull combo on the Rad of the h50, exhaust also.....

i been tweaking and playing around and i have found by adjusting settings step by step, say something like mch skew or ref i am getting now where
                            when it comes past 4.25ghz@500fsb. i have been really skimpy on my vcore and now this new cooler seems to really be helping on my high end.

So i am able to get 4.5ghz@500fsb with 1.45vcore (BIOS) about 1.424 in windows (cpuid) This was a step up from my previous attempt of 1.425 which seemed like around 1.390 os so in windows(cant remember exact) After making this aggressive change and farthest vcore setting, i am looking more stable then ever, running prime 95 now. I still have a ways to go before saying remotely stable. I know i will be pushing it when i run IBT or linpack on the temps... i may put a 45w peltier on the rad of the h50 since i have one lying around. not sure bout that though thats later.

is running 1.45vcore bios bad news for a so called 24/7 use. keep in mind i really only use my computer 4-6hours a day maybe. i turn it off when i am not home (eletric bill) My temps running prime small fft's seem to max about 57-60c load temps. havent done IBT yet, maybe tomorrow, gonna run prime all night or at least 6 hours for testing...

again 1.45vcore bios used 5-6hours a day, bad for the 45nm e8400?

give a for yeah or for no even :P

Later!

Comment

Working...
                            X