Hello everyone & merry christmas,

I started putting together a machine with the following specs
    EX58-UD3R
    i7-920
    Noctua NH-U12P
    6GB kingston 1333Mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA GT210
    Antec CP-850

I put it all together outside the case on the motherboard box, check and double check all the connections, connect the power supply and start it up. Noctua fan starts up, Phase LEDs on the mother board light up and in two seconds it shutsdown and restarts. Same thing next time and the time after and after.

Any ideas? I have tried clearing the CMOS by leaving the battery out overnight, just single stick of RAM in first slot, same thing.

Any help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: EX58-UD3R wont post

Hey bro, welcome to the Forums . You most definitely came to the right place for help , there are many many threads on this problem you have. I have had this problem and so has my brother as well as countless members on here. Solution to my problem was to eliminate as many connections between the motherboard and case itself such as case fans to to mobo cpu fan headers, switch those to 4 pin molex directly from the PSU and see if it helps.

Have you had a chance to enter BIOS ?
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Comment

When you had the battery out did you place a jumper across the clear cmos pins?

Comment

Thanks debb, I haven't had a chance yet to enter BIOS.

flyfisher - i don't have any jumper to put on the pins, i can see where the clear cmos on mobo is but no pins, so i'm relying on battery removal only. where on mobo do i look for jumper?

Comment

i cleared the cmos by shorting it with a screw driver and tried to startup the system only with cpu and cooler on mobo.

i read somewhere that if you try to start without ram, it will start but won't post, at the same time won't go into restart cycle...but in my case, without ram, its still going into reboot cycle every 3 seconds...

i am starting to think the problem is maybe with the power supply, mobo, cpu or noctua cooler...i don't have any spare parts to check and see what might be corrupt...any suggestions where to start?? also, i connected the speaker on mobo but its not giving any beep codes coz system restarts before it can send anything to the speaker...however the speaker does make a "click" sound when system starts up, which leads me to believe the speaker isn't dead.

one more thing, if cooler isn't installed properly, would the cpu temp force it to restart?? ( i don't think cpu's temp will get dangerously high in 3 secs that it restarts the system). just to eliminate this possibility, I'll take the original intel cooler and install that and see if it makes any difference...any other ideas are more than welcome

Comment

What I meant was to place a jumper across the two clear cmos pins while the battery was out. Using a screwdriver like you did works too. And you had the PSU unplugged while you did this too, correct? And the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin 12v connectors are plugged in too? It is difficult to say then what might be wrong. Some PSUs don't seem to work with certain motherboards. Same with memory. Or it could be the board itself. Can you borrow a different PSU and/or memory from a friend? I don't think that a bad cooler mount would cause what you are seeing.
            Last edited by flyfisher; 12-26-2009, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I took the board to a friend's place and used his PSU, same problem so we can probably rule out that PSU is causing this.

I also took the noctua cooler off and put the Intel one (which came with the cpu), same thing again, so it probably isn't the cooler either.

I couldn't borrow DDR3 from anywhere, that's the next thing I'd like to try. Out of curiosity, how easy is it to bend the pins on mobo?

One more thing I noticed, if I don't plug the 8-pin 12v connector, it doesn't go into that reboot cycle but it doesn't do anything else either, phase led's on mobo stay lit and the cooler fan keeps spinning, no beep codes nothing.

Comment

The socket pins are easy to bend. You might want to remove the CPU and check the socket. At this point it's either the ram or the board. Sorry you're having such a bad experience.

Comment

Originally posted by razarf View Post
                  I took the board to a friend's place and used his PSU, same problem so we can probably rule out that PSU is causing this.

I also took the noctua cooler off and put the Intel one (which came with the cpu), same thing again, so it probably isn't the cooler either.

I couldn't borrow DDR3 from anywhere, that's the next thing I'd like to try. Out of curiosity, how easy is it to bend the pins on mobo?

One more thing I noticed, if I don't plug the 8-pin 12v connector, it doesn't go into that reboot cycle but it doesn't do anything else either, phase led's on mobo stay lit and the cooler fan keeps spinning, no beep codes nothing.
                  try with one stick of ram in the first white slot from cpu socket,test with each stick of ram it will boot from any white slot if alls well....if no luck try with the next white slot untill youve tried with all 3 slots,and what code is it giving you on the l.e.d. motherboard clock ff? c1?? ect
                  Last edited by wazza300; 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM.
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i have tried all three sticks, one at a time in all white slots...it doesn't go very far, it just reboots within 3-4 seconds.

the only way to prevent it from rebooting is to NOT connect the 8-pin 12v connector but then it doesn't do anything, just the fans run and phase leds on mobo are on.

wazza300 - l.e.d. motherboard clock you mentioned, is it same as the phase leds on mobo?? I can't see any other leds on the board. If you are talking about the phase leds then they turn

green, green, yellow, red (starting from PWR_FAN and moving towards CPU_FAN)
                    HTML Code:
                    http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud3r_1.6_e.pdf
                    (page 7)

Comment

Working...
                    X