• Show
Clear All

Re: i7 Overclocking Issues with EX58-UD5

Here is 3.8GHz stable on stock volts

Originally posted by Higgins
    Pro tip: don't piss off PC gamers on purpose

Comment

These are my settings for a 3.8GHz OC using the F9m BIOS, hope it helps. Noticeable differences to your config: CPU VCore is a little higher at 1.325V

Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
      CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [x20]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ x10 (OCZ Blade memory runs at a final frequency of 1900 MHz, it is rated at 2000MHz)

Advanced CPU Features:

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [disabled]
      CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
      CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
      C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
      CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
      CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
      Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
      QPI Link Speed .............................. x36 (QPI frequency 6.48 GHz)
      Uncore Frequency .......................... 3800 MHz (Uncore Multiplier x 20) Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
      Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
      BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 190

Advanced Clock Control:
      PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... Auto [100]
      C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

CPU Clock Drive ..............................Auto [800mV]
      PCI Express Clock Drive ................... Auto [900mV]
      CPU Clock Skew ............................. Auto [0ps]
      IOH Clock Skew ............................. Auto[0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
      DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quick]

Each Channel A + B + C set:

CAS Latency Time ......................7
      tRCD ........................................8
      tRP ..........................................7
      tRAS ........................................20
      Command Rate = Auto

CPU Vcore ............................. 1.325V (Manual)
      PCIE 1.500v ........................... Auto
      QPI/Vtt .................................. Manual 1.4V
      QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... Manual 1.88V
      IOH Core 1.100v ..................... Manual 1.24V
      ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... Auto
      ICH Core 1.1v ........................ Auto

DRAM
      DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.66 DRAM (passes MeMTest)

Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

My CPU idle temperature is around 36- 38 degC

Comment

Personally I had problems with my o/c until I tried QPI/VTT at 1.475.

Been ok so far, just run prime95 blend for over an hour without any errors.

Maybe give that a try to see if it helps you?
        i7 920 (D0 Stepping),
        Gigabyte x58 UD5 - F9m bios,
        6gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz ram,
        Corsair H50 CPU Cooler,
        ATI Sapphire 5850 gfx card,
        Crucial 64gb SSD,
        Samsung F3 1tb Sata HDD,
        Maxtor 300gb Sata HDD,
        Asus Xonar D2x Soundcard,
        Logitech Z5500 Speakers,
        Hybrid TV Card,
        Corsair Obsidian 800D Case,
        Tagan 900w PipeRock PSU,
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW,
        Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by shiarua View Post
          No dice with the newest BIOS (F9M)

I tried x18 uncore, kept getting reboots with Prime95 Large FTT

As I have read, problems with Large FTT can indicate results with memory (correct me if this is wrong).

I bumped uncore down to 2x the memory multiplier (Uncore = x16), and Im running Large FTT again. hopefully this work /crosses fingers

Any reason that it just didnt like 2x+1 uncore?
          It puts more stress on the board. I am also curious what allows higher Uncore Frequency. I am now stuck at 4000Ghz and no higher on the Uncore Frequency. I think the QPI/VTT has something to do with it because i have to use 1.51 in order to get my mem up to 2000 and my QPI Frequency up to 4000.

I also had trouble to get my mem to run @ 2000 9-9-9-28 until i set my QPI/VTT to 1.514. Now it running @ 2000 8-9-8-22

My current system is now 25 passes of linX and a couple of hours of prime stable(havent tested more because i don't see the point)

Maybe you should bump your QPI/VTT up one or two notches(which might help mem stability) and retest.
          Last edited by jonathankru; 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM.
          Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz+HT 1.36V / Gigabyte EX58-UD4P / G-Skill 3x2 gig DDR 2133 PERFECT STORM / MSI 5870 1GIG / Corsair HX1000 Watt/ CM Stacker 830 /
          Cooled By: Swiftech Apogee GTZ /Swiftech MCR-320 /1/2" ID Feser Flexible PVC Tubing /Swiftech MICRO Rev2 Reservoir /Swiftech MCP655 variable/Thermalright HR-05-ifx

Comment

Been testing out and slowly creeping to 4.0GHz. Im at 3.92GHz (187x21) but am having IMC/uncore issues.

Ive been able to keep QPI/VTT voltage at stock (1.175v in BIOS) up until now. My system was stable at 3.8GHz with 1.175 GHz (2896MHz uncore, 1448MHz DRAM). Now Im at 3.92GHz. I bumped up some of the other voltages to help stabilize (IOH Core, ICH Core, QPI PLL to 1.16v).

Uncore still seems to be unstable though. If I go up over 1.175v QPI/VTT the system freezes while running Prime95 Large FFT. If I go over that QPI/VTT voltage (either to 1.195v or 1.215v) the system just reboots during Large FFT. I havent tried voltages over that yet.

Comment

Although all chips are different, with my 920 I found that when using the 8x memory multiplier, using the 17x uncore mutliplier was much more stable than 16x. No extra IOH, MCH or QPI PLL required.

Comment

Well, I hope I may have found my problem. I went in and manually set nearly every memory setting I could, following the XMP profile for 1600 MHz on my ram. Have yet to run Large FFT, but gonna do that in a bit once LinX finishes.

Anyone else have to do the same thing with their memory in order to get it stable?

Also, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Something that I posted over on the Corsair forums... just seems like its ****ty ram that cant get to 1600MHz. A lot of people have been having the same issue with the RAM at or around 1600MHz with the RAM that I have. Some say its a bad IMC, but I highly doubt it.

This is what I posted.

Im in the same boat dude. Im gonna jump in on this thread to see if we can get this worked out.

Firstly, I have the same motherboard as you. My i7 920 is a D0 stepping, but I dont have it at stock. Ive been trying to overclock it, but run into problems past 3.8GHz and I think its the RAM.

At 3.8GHz, I have 181 BCLK, 21x CPU multiplier (w/ Turbo and HT), 8x memory multiplier (puts the memory at 1448MHz), 16x uncore frequency, 36x QPI link speed, and voltages of 1.21250v vCore, 1.66v vDIMM) and 1.175v QPI/VTT voltage in BIOS. Every other voltage was set to auto.

Manual timings of 8-8-8-24-2T were entered for the RAM.

Anything above 3.8GHz just starts to have problems. I could run LinX and Prime 95 blend/small FFT all day and not have any problem, but when I run Prime 95 Large FFT, the computer just takes a dump (either freezes or reboots).

At 191 BCLK (4.01GHz) and 1.28750v vcore, I cant find any QPI/VTT voltage that works. Ive tried just about everything from 1.155v to 1.415v QPI/VTT voltage. At the moment, anything above 1.215v QPI/VTT voltage causes the computer to reboot (like the reset button was pressed) while stressing using Prime 95 Large FFT.

1.175v and 1.195v QPI/VTT voltage cause the computer to freeze during Large FFT stressing and the LED code on the motherboard to change from FF to C0 which apparently means "CPU status flag test, CPU register test, memory refresh test" according to an LED code guide I found. 1.125v QPI/VTT voltage leads to the system freezing completely and the LED code does not change.

I had all other RAM settings on auto, but I changes almost everything manually according to settings from the XMP profile, but that did not help either. I also have change the auto voltages to manual, with IOH Core at 1.12v, ICH Core at 1.14v, QPI PLL at 1.14v, CPU PLL at 1.8v (Normal), and the rest on "Normal" settings.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Its keeping me from a stable OC at 4.0GHz, and I was going to try for 4.2GHz :/

Comment

Working...
                  X