Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCIe X16 unstable on P55-UD2 - what do I lose using X4 slot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIe X16 unstable on P55-UD2 - what do I lose using X4 slot?

I recently built a machine with a Gigabyte GA-p55-UD2 motherboard, a Gigabyte 9600GT video card and a core i7-860 processor. When I tired to install Windows 7, the machine froze after the reboot where the video driver is installed. I could not install windows 7 at all. I tried Vista and that went well since Vista does not install a video driver during the installation. But after I installed the driver, the system froze. So I assumed the video card was bad and sent it to Gigabyte for repair. Meanwhile, I installed Windows 7 using an old video card.

Gigabyte said the card was fine and sent it back. I tied it again in the already installed OS and it failed. I then tried a Radeon card and it would work for a while and then blue screen. So I assumed now that it was a MB problem. (The memory checked out with Memtest.)

On a whim, I put the 9600GT card in the PCIe-X4 slot and lo and behold, the system ran fine and has been stable for two weeks running two 24" monitors. My question is, what am I losing by using the X4 slot instead of the X16 slot. I am not a gamer but got the card to support two monitors. If I replace the MB with one with a working X16 slot would I notice any difference? I just hate to send the board back and be without a computer for two weeks. Are there likely to be any other problems in the future with this board?

Re: PCIe X16 unstable on P55-UD2 - what do I lose using X4 slot?

are you using the latest bios? as it might fix the problem check on gigabyte website and here for the very latest beta bios and read on how to flash using q-flash dont use @bios as its unstable and will wreck your mb if it goes wrong q-flash is fine as its in dos
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: PCIe X16 unstable on P55-UD2 - what do I lose using X4 slot?

I'm very sure that you would be bottlenecking your card quite a bit. Most cards are about at the limit of 8X 2.0, a.k.a 16X. But at 4X you would see a performance drop for sure, since it would only allow information to be sent two times less then for what it is designed for. Perhaps you can get that slot fixed instead?

Comment

Working...
      X