EX58 UD5 Switching off DES freezes solid Win XP Sp3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58 UD5 Switching off DES freezes solid Win XP Sp3

New machine with EX58 UD5 Mobo, i7,CPU, 3 sticks of RAM. Fresh win Xp SP3 install (4 days old), 800w power supply, 3HDDs etc etc. AHCI enabled but no RAID, HDDs on the blue SATAs, DVD plugged on the white SATA (GSATA). No overcloking except that BIOS MIT Intelligent Tweaking set to second step (whatever that is called).

All working acceptably well (thinking of ditching AHCI in fact, see below why), however I want to update the BIOS using @BIOS (the idiot's way I admit) and when i want to switch off DES the PC freezes so bad the mouse doesn't move either. I have to hit reset of power switch (on front).

I honestly do not remember if this was an issue when AHCI mode was off... I might try, later in non-AHCI... I use AHCI maily cause I have an eSATA HDD Docking station and an eSATA cradle and want hotswapping (BTW people hotswapping works in non AHCI mode on the white ports !!)

Ok so enough rambling. I want to use @BIOS. @BIOS wants to switch off DES, I say Ok, PC freezes.

I tried:

1) Stop DES from the funky GUI. When I press ON/OFF the pc Freezes solid.
    2) kill the GSvr.exe manually, then try to switch off DES from the GUI. solid freeze

Except uninstalling this DES, how can I use @BIOS? I DID use @BIOS before but 1) I remember I was in non-AHCI mode and 2) I might not have activated / installed the DES.

Any ideas please to make @BIOS and DES be nice to each other ?

I have F9E and thinking to upgrade to F9M...

Thank you

EDIT: Well after I wrote this I tried again and DES turned off. so i managed to use @BIOS. ahhh THE MYSTERIES....
    Last edited by advarp; 12-17-2009, 01:54 AM. Reason: Solved?

Re: EX58 UD5 Switching off DES freezes solid Win XP Sp3

At F9k I was experiencing something similar with DES freezing when try to turn it off.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

It seems something is wrong with DES and F9m.<o:p></o:p>
    Have you tried DESapplication on F9m?
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0), BIOS: F12
    Intel Core I7-920 C0,NOCTUA NH-U12P SE1366
    Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G X6= 12Gb
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 1GB TOXIC Edition
    500GB HDD, PSU Sea Sonic M12D-750W, Win 7 64-bit

Comment

Re: EX58 UD5 Switching off DES freezes solid Win XP Sp3

Originally posted by Giuseppe Verdi View Post
      At F9k I was experiencing something similar with DES freezing when try to turn it off.<o:p></o:p>

It seems something is wrong with DES and F9m.<o:p></o:p>
      Have you tried DESapplication on F9m?
      Hi, thanks for answering...I am on F9m now. Even discovered I can save BIOS profiles with the EX58 !! Whoa that is convenient.

In the meantime I played with this a bit more and I in fact overclocked the i7 920 to 4GHz and the RAm to 1600 so I turned DES off and left it alone, never started it anymore. My power saving is simple, I have th eLoad line calibration, the EIST, the C1 and the C5/C6/C7 etc enabled so when the CPU is idle it runs at approx 2400Ghz rather than the 4GHz. Ramping up the clock when needed gave me no probs.

Then I have blank screen at 5mins, turn off HDDs at 10mins, enterS3 in 20 mins. So I save a lot of power....without the DES headache.

So, goodbye DES / I guess...

Comment

Working...
      X